The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 20, 2011, 03:02 PM   #1
scottycoyote

sunday hunting virginia residents take note

theres a bill to soon be voted on to allow sunday hunting in va, va residents please contact your representative and tell them to vote yes, i think its bill 850?
Old January 20, 2011, 10:13 PM   #2
wyobohunter

Wierd...

Why wouldn't you be able to hunt on a Sunday? I could see if the ban was a management tool i.e. closed Sundays for a specific species in a certain area but no hunting at all. :barf:
Old January 20, 2011, 10:23 PM   #3
egor20

wyobohunter

Its the Bible belt, until a few years ago we weren't allowed to buy spirits in stores on Sunday, just beer and wine. Unless you're shooting on your own property , there is no hunting allowed.

EDIT: here's the Bill SB 850

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?111+sum+SB850

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand

Last edited by egor20; January 20, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old January 21, 2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Doyle

Georgia used to be the same way when I was a kid growing up in the 60's and 70's.
Old January 21, 2011, 07:26 PM   #5
BIGR

Yeap, it is still a big issue in certain parts of the south. I hunted Georgia back in the 90's and it felt strange deer hunting on Sunday. I got use to it and saw it as another good day in the woods. Hey people fish on Sunday and hike, so what’s the deal. North Carolina recently legalized bow hunting on Sundays. Well that is ok, but at this time I don't even bow hunt, my loss I guess. I wished they would go ahead and make it legal for gun hunting on Sundays. Put certain limitations on discharging firearms within a certain distance of a church. The deer population will sustain it with no problem.
Old January 21, 2011, 07:48 PM   #6
alloy

Blue laws, as far back as I can remember.
Old January 21, 2011, 07:55 PM   #7
mwar410

No Sunday hunting in Maine either. The state could really use the added revenue of sunday hunting.
Old January 21, 2011, 08:00 PM   #8
mwar410

BIGR, it's probably not the shooting distance from churches, it could be everyone will be hunting and not going to church.
Old January 21, 2011, 09:54 PM   #9
highvel

The old "Blue Laws" I remember them well, go into a store that was open and all the isles would be roped off except for the ones that had items that could be sold on Sunday.
I remember one city where you could not buy beer or wine before 12 pm on Sunday, I guess they didn't want you getting a jump start on the people still in church

I think the hunting on Sunday bill will be killed again as it has before.

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old January 21, 2011, 10:21 PM   #10
publius

It's strange, several of the States on the Mid-Atlantic coast ban Sunday hunting, and , unfortunately, it is supported by many hunters. The bible belt really refers to the deep South more than VA, the Carolina's and such. Interestingly, the States in the deep South allow Sun. hunting. In MS or LA we would string up the legislator that even thought about introducing a bill banning Sun. hunting.
Old January 22, 2011, 07:05 AM   #11
alloy

Quote:
Interestingly, the States in the deep South allow Sun. hunting. In MS or LA we would string up the legislator that even thought about introducing a bill banning Sun. hunting.
We probobly would too, but this is old school stuff from the 1600's....from when the colony militia could round folks up, to get them into church to pay to the British Anglican Church, a proper church tax. Payable with tobacco regardless of denomination, punishable by death.
So in one way we did override the King responsible. But we kept some remnants I guess.
I think Virginia had one of the first Blue or Sabbath Law, my perspective....it's just kinda how it is. Not for it or against, more like indifferent, a hunting tradition I grew up with like a cut shirt tail, and as a tradition...my understanding is that Sundays are for watching football and Monday thru Saturday are for hunting.
It's interesting how you get used to a thing that's always there. As a child, "you don't hunt Sundays you go to church"....and you don't question why. Right or wrong, we used to buy Sunday Beer on Saturday when I lived in Georgia. Another great tradition.
But...if you got both the Pat Robertson CBN and the Jerry Falwell Liberty Univ, you got bible belt...altho the first colonies are maybe more at fault.
Maybe it's a poke in the eye from the feds, to secularists, that localities are still allowed minute latitudes to govern themselves, in light of larger church /vs state debates. Justice Department could probobly shoot blue laws down any time, but the people that would desire to see them gone on those grounds...might not want the hunting on Sundays. Or any other day.

Last edited by alloy; January 22, 2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old January 24, 2011, 11:43 AM   #12
cnimrod

NJ has it

and you sure can't call this the Bible belt. It goes to a densely populated state and wanting to keep one day a week hunter free. Silly tho, they give out so many permits for areas overpopulated by deer (unlimited take in some) and they're never sold out. If they just opened Sunday hunting I'm sure the take would increase significantly. If you can't take off from work and you miss a Saturday you're done. More opportunity would be better.
Old January 24, 2011, 02:56 PM   #13
Poodleshooter

Yeah, I'd sure like Sunday hunting.
Monday-Friday is for working. The state would probably add a significant percentage of "time in field" to the existing base of hunters, who presumably work (or are sleeping daytime hours after working nightly jobs) most of the rest of the week.
Old January 24, 2011, 07:38 PM   #14
PawPaw

Yep, Blue Laws, although here in Louisiana we've always been allowed to hunt on Sunday. Couldn't by whiskey or beer, but you could hunt.

My most recent hunting lease is adjacent to an old-time Baptist church, so close that I could sing Amazing Grace along with the congregation during the morning service. We named the hunting club after the church. Everybody knows where Mt. Sinai church is located in LaSalle Parish, and we're the Sinai hunting club.

I shot a deer one morning just at the start of Sunday School, and a half-dozen guys piled out of the church and helped me drag it out of the woods. I thought that was nice. They asked me not to hunt during services as the young'uns wanted to jump up and come help if they heard a shot. I moved my stand about a half-mile away so as not to disturb services.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 25, 2011, 02:23 PM   #15
jhog1

Quote:
Yep, Blue Laws, although here in Louisiana we've always been allowed to hunt on Sunday. Couldn't by whiskey or beer, but you could hunt.
How can you hunt without whiskey & beer ? ......... Relax I'm Just kidding
Old January 25, 2011, 04:50 PM   #16
PawPaw

Quote:
How can you hunt without whiskey & beer ? ......... Relax I'm Just kidding
I never said you couldn't have it, I said you couldn't buy it.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 25, 2011, 04:57 PM   #17
SPUSCG

A lot of people support it, including hunters. a day to go out and rake your yard without worrying about wearing blaze orange, or be able to sleep in and not wake up at 4:30 when some tool decides to screw the law and take shots before sunrise. That said Weekends seem to be the only free time to hunt sometimes, so I see both sides.
Old January 25, 2011, 10:38 PM   #18
langenc

Michigan had some laws like tha in certain counties and on land that you didnt own.

It seems that those laws came from the 1800s to keep the blacks from hunting, the only day they had to hunt.

We have some stupid CCW laws for the same reason-racial. Sheriff could issue to who he wanted to-or not at all depending.