The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 20, 2009, 09:25 PM   #1
docprc2

Best holster for concealed carry

Expecting my license any day now. Looking into holster options, IWB or OWB, not sure which to consider or the issues in each. Any assistance would be helpful.
Old April 20, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2
hoytinak

You're gonna have to try different types and find out what works best for you. My perfect conceal carry holster is the Milt Sparks VMII for IWB or a basic leather holster for pocket carry...I tried OWB and it wasn't for me.
Old April 20, 2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Chuckusaret

Bought many holsters and settled with a cheap in price Uncle Mike's IWB. It fits me better than any of my holsters that cost up to $150. If you need a list of holster companies I have a listing of about a 100 dealers.
Old April 20, 2009, 11:13 PM   #4
ComradeBurg

As stated already different people will find different holsters more comfortable then others. For me I use a Crossbreed Holsters Super Tuck IWB and it works great, for me.
Old April 21, 2009, 05:10 AM   #5
Rinspeed

The Sparks Summer Special is one of my favorites.
Old April 21, 2009, 05:27 AM   #6
txstang84

I'm pretty fond of my Bianchi 6D ATB IWB...but that's what works for me. If you've got a big sporting good store, go try a few out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=965936
Old April 21, 2009, 06:19 AM   #7
P97

I've tried a lot over the years, and the best that I've found for me is the Milt Sparks VM2HS.
Old April 21, 2009, 06:40 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

What gun are you planning on carrying?

Overall, I prefer OWB carry regardless of gun, but for me at least, a smaller gun works better IWB than would a larger gun.

I don't know that either IWB or OWB is better than the other and it's really a personal preference. I started carrying IWB but really found it uncomfortable and now carry OWB 99% of the time. I'd suggest buying a couple of different types of moderately priced holsters till you find a style you like and are comfortable with.
Old April 21, 2009, 07:34 AM   #9
ATW525

The best holster is very much a personal thing. Both your body type and the the gun you want to carry will factor into it.

So, I can't tell you what's best for you, but I can tell you what works for me:

A Ross Leather M17 IWB

It's by far the most comfortable holster I've found to carry a big autoloader IWB. I'm particularly fond of the single offset belt attachment. I find it's less bulky feeling than holsters that have the belt attachment directly over the gun and more comfortable than holsters that use dual offset belt attachments with one positioned on each side of the gun.
Old April 21, 2009, 08:52 AM   #10
chris in va

Don't worry, you'll end up with a box full of holsters before you find one that works the best for you.

One thing though, I see you live in TX. I'd highly recommend you get something in IWB as you can't have it print and don't have an open carry allowance yet.
Old April 21, 2009, 09:04 AM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I like my Crossbreed Supertuck. It is admittedly the only one I've ever tried but I don't see the need for a whole box of others either, so I guess I got lucky the first time.... or I'm just not picky enough. Either way, it works for me, it's comfortable and it's not too expensive ($65 iirc).
Old April 21, 2009, 01:42 PM   #12
hawkeb

Raven Concealment is my favorite. Good price and worth every penny.
I have carried an all steel full size 1911 with a TLR-1 light IWB with a Raven and it is very comfortable for me. There are also different attachments to carry it any way you would like. I am in the process of getting a few more for some of my other handguns. You should give them a look.

http://www.themalabarfront.com
Old April 21, 2009, 02:23 PM   #13
PhoenixConflagration

+1 for the Crossbreed SuperTuck. Once I played with the the different clip heights, it conceals extremely well and is comfy, too.
Old April 21, 2009, 10:13 PM   #14
SigfanTN

Agreed with the Crossbreed Supertuck. Like Peetza it is the first holster I tried (excepting a really cheap Uncle Mike's nylon), and it's the only one for my P239 that I need. It is perfect for concealment and comfortable carry.

It's not much for looks, but who cares for an IWB holster?
Old April 22, 2009, 12:36 AM   #15
DarthTedd

This thread reminded me ... we definitely need more "rig" photos in real world use.
Old April 22, 2009, 08:16 AM   #16
MBRinTN

I like Blade Tech holsters. It seems the latest trend, (No, I didn't say "Fad."), is the wide offset belt loops like on the Sparks VMII, etc. I carry on my side, about 3:30-4:00, and these holsters are big. The front loop is almost over my front pants pocket. For my style, I prefer the BT Nano, which does offset the loops, but keeps them on the holster body. In my mind the Nano, (about $55), is good balance of cost, comfort, and quality.
Old April 22, 2009, 06:26 PM   #17
terrysc106

Another +1 for the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe, it was amazingly comfortable after about 10 minutes. It works well for me and my G23.
Old April 22, 2009, 07:31 PM   #18
Moe Howard

I like certain holsters for certain guns, but I always have an OWB and an IWB for every gun. I prefer TT Gunleather for my IWB and for some of my belt holsters. I also use DeSantis thumbreak scabbards for several guns, they conceal very well for belt holsters. For every shooter you will get a different answer though.
Old April 22, 2009, 07:41 PM   #19
sophijo

holsters

I like these two makers..belts and holster. Thats a good thing to keep in mind. The holster is half the rig. The belt the other.

Simply Rugged and DM Bullard
Old April 22, 2009, 08:06 PM   #20
lefteye

I haven't purchased many holsters since I prefer to study the options until I'm very confident in my purchase decision. My favorite, so far, is a Milt Sparks 55BN (with the forward {FBI} cant for a 1911, 4" to 5".
Old April 22, 2009, 10:25 PM   #21
Kyo

I went to simplyrugged.com after getting like 3 in a month. I actually tried the Bianchi 6D ATB IWB and it was uncomfortable when I sat down, I also felt like it was too high rise for an IWB...anyway, I picked up a Cuda model with the inside out straps, and I love it to death. I can sit on it and there is no rub, no discomfort, cause I am sitting on leather.
And the best part is 1 holster can be worn both ways! It has holes for the belt or the inside out straps. +1 for simply rugged. definitely drop the money for one.
Old April 22, 2009, 11:25 PM   #22
Lost Sheep

You ask the impossible

docprc2,

It is very difficult to select a holster for someone when we do not know

Your size

The clothes which will conceal the gun

The gun to be carried

Also, how deep do you want to conceal? Is speed of presentation important or is surety of concealment tantamount?

Help us out, here, please.

Many people have more than one holster, even for the same gun. For different seasons (under winter clothes, or summer clothes, in business attire or casual, or whatever).

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; April 22, 2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old April 22, 2009, 11:27 PM   #23
dmazur

I like Galco's quick slide. With a Commander, most jackets and untucked shirts cover the barrel.

It isn't hot enough in the PNW most of the time to worry about trying to conceal under a T-shirt. If I ever move somewhere with sunshine, I might have to try IWB again...

Old April 24, 2009, 10:03 AM   #24
Oldjarhead

Holster for carry

I see you are from Texas. So am I. As you know trying to carry a concealed weapon in the usually warm weather in Texas is a challenge. You did not mention the weapon, size or caliber, so I will tell you that for me, I usually carry my Glock m 23 or Colt Commander .45acp in a good quality fanny pack. Some folks might not like that, but in Texas with temps getting into the 90's and 100's six months out of the year, that suits me fine. You can carry a large or small weapon in a fanny pack in any weather. My two cents.
Old April 24, 2009, 11:03 AM   #25
ramp_tech

It all depends on the size of the handgun.

It it ain't a full size, and you would like something with a maximum concealability and the ability to be agile, go with the Smart Carry.

If you don't feel comfortable with the idea, go with THIS.

Good luck! Carry Safe, Carry Smart!

Last edited by ramp_tech; April 24, 2009 at 11:19 AM.