The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 10, 2005, 01:17 PM   #1
1BadF350

Question on Ruger M77 MarkII stainless composite?

In the interest of accuracy, I would like to know if the barrel can be free floated? I tried the old dollar bill between the barrel and forend and it won't go? What are my options for this rifle to maximize it's accuracy potential?
Old December 12, 2005, 10:15 AM   #2
1BadF350

Bump.
Old December 12, 2005, 12:40 PM   #3
bgoldhunter

Not a problem to free-float your barrel. However many Rugers like a pressure point at the tip of the forearm. I would suggest to free-float it and see how it shoots. If you are not happy, try to put in a pressure point and see how it does then. BTW, my Ruger is totally free-floating in a Bell & Carlson stock, and shooting groups less than .5 @ 100 yards with 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. I feel it could shoot better if the nut behind the trigger would do his job!

Also, have you worked on the trigger? That horrible factory trigger is probably the largest culprit for poor groups in a Ruger. If not, a Timney will fix you right up.
Old December 12, 2005, 01:12 PM   #4
1BadF350

I have not done anything to the gun. It's still in factory condition.
Could you decribe "pressure point" to me?
Old December 12, 2005, 03:33 PM   #5
Poodleshooter

I just free floated my KM77 MkII. If you take the action out of the stock,you'll notice that the stock bears directly on the barrel at the very end of the forend,as well as along the sides. Those are the "pressure points",with the forend tip of the barrel channel generating the most upward pressure on the barrel. There is dissenting opinion on whether or not a thin barrel like the Rugers is better free floated, or left with it's factory pressure point intact. I relieved my stock at the forend point only using a dremel tool. My groups shrunk from about 3" to 1.5" or so. Yours may shrink, or they may open up.