The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 11, 2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Okie47

Question about "re-holstering" an IWB

I've been researching for a new IWB and noticed in ads and threads that the ability to re-holster quickly and with one hand seems important to some and not to others. I've always thought that if I do have to draw my weapon, I will likely be using it. After that miserable experience, I don't see any reason to rapidly re-holster. I would probably be in shock, calling 911 or down. Am I being naive? I see it more a convenience than a necessity....your thoughts.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Machine

It is a nice feature, but reholstering safely trumps reholstering quickly.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:49 PM   #3
tomj44

I agree with Machine, no need to be speedy when reholstering. The problem should be solved, put it back safely.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Slopemeno

It's a valid point-the Milt Sparks Summer Special was a step up from older IWB holsters that flapped closed when the gun left. Milt Sparks incorporated a metal liner that keeps the holster open enough to re-holster. Who knows, you may need both hands for other tasks-, driving, CPR, etc.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:26 AM   #5
tgreening

Seems to me the ability to reholster "quickly" is a solution in search of a problem. I've yet to hear of a reasonable scenario where this ability would be of any real importance. Doing it safely, as others have mentioned, seems of much higher priority.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Skadoosh

Never be in a hurry to reholster.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:47 AM   #7
seeker_two

I've slowly been changing my way of thinking about IWB reholstering. It may be safer to have an IWB holster that can be removed from the waistband, reholster at eye level, then return the entire unit to the waistband. One-handed reholstering belongs to OWB holsters, I think....
Old March 12, 2013, 09:52 AM   #8
Skadoosh

That takes two hands to accomplish. You may not have a free or working hand. Learn to reholster one handed. And how to do it safely and slowly.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:56 AM   #9
saugus

There's never been an award for the fastest re-holster.
Old March 12, 2013, 10:35 AM   #10
seeker_two

Quote:
You may not have a free or working hand.
If that is the case, it may not be time to reholster....
Old March 12, 2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Skadoosh

If the threat is no longer breathing, and your free arm is injured, how do you plan on greeting the police as you stand there on the street?

With your gun at your feet?...or in your holster?
Old March 12, 2013, 06:23 PM   #12
Okie47

Now that's a good point.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:17 PM   #13
seeker_two

Quote:
If the threat is no longer breathing, and your free arm is injured, how do you plan on greeting the police as you stand there on the street?
Gun under my foot or somewhere that they can see it....definitely not on my person. Too many instances of a LEO disarming someone with a gun the LEO isn't familiar with accidently discharging it...sometimes hitting the disarmed person.

Play it safe.....for ALL involved....
Old March 12, 2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Okie47

that's another good point...I'm thinking now that maybe it would be smart to place the gun on the ground and wait. Obviously, you wouldn't do that if there was any hint of threat left. The LEO's might wonder how I had the "cool" to be confronted by two thugs, pull my Glock, kill them both at 8 ft., calmly re-holster my weapon and call 911..like I do this every day? Glad it's all just speculation.
Old March 12, 2013, 10:11 PM   #15
Garycw

I will re- holster sometimes with the flexible type IWB, but I've found it easier & Safer to remove holster, re-insert then put back with most of my holsters. Unless its a Galco or similar. Normally it just stays concealed till bedtime. Why would you need to remove it anyway?? Unless its to pull the trigger, then I wouldn't be worrying about that anyway. Around the farm I just open carry anyway.

Sent from iPhone
Old March 12, 2013, 11:57 PM   #16
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker_two View Post
Gun under my foot or somewhere that they can see it....definitely not on my person.
+1 on this. I do not want armed, scared police officers thinking *I* am a threat to them.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:34 AM   #17
Skadoosh

A police officer will see you as a threat until he/she has control of your weapon and you, whether your weapon is under your foot OR in your holster. A holstered weapon is not perceived as an immediate threat by the police. Furthermore, I wont act threateningly and I will follow their directions until my weapon and I have been secured.

And don't think that a police officer who is unfamiliar with your weapon is any safer trying to download your weapon...whether it was retrieved from under your foot or from your holster.

So you can keep your firearm on the deck if you want. But I certainly wont. I will re-holster and wait, keeping my weapon where I can quickly and easily access it if I need it again.
Old March 18, 2013, 03:07 PM   #18
dakota.potts

Just a thought, this might be for competition shooting?
Old March 20, 2013, 07:54 PM   #19
dahermit

It would seem that a police officer rather than a civilian would find utility in a holster that would be easy to re-holster. I have seen some designs that virtually collapse when the gun is drawn.
Old March 20, 2013, 10:00 PM   #20
breakingcontact

"Hey guys! Let's do a speed re-holstering competition. I've got the timer, ready, go!" -said no one ever
Old March 21, 2013, 01:53 AM   #21
Sanity Challenged

If given a choice to spend some extra cash for a holster that allows easier reholstering, I'll spend the extra. Not because I think I'll need it in an emergency, but difficulty reholstering discourages practicing the draw, which is not a good thing.
Old March 21, 2013, 11:40 AM   #22
Slopemeno

So you're going to stand there with you gun pointed downrange in your dominant hand, reach around your body and get the holster off your body with your weak hand, re-holster, then re-insert the gun and holster in your belt...and this is better somehow?
Old March 21, 2013, 11:44 AM   #23
Doyle

Like others, I see no need for super-fast and easy reholstering - for a civilian. However, for an LE officer it's a whole different story. They need to be able to reholster quickly and with one hand. The other hand may be holding a radio, a bad guy, or cuffs.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:27 PM   #24
tonymazz

Reholstering in an effective manner is another aspect of carrying a firearm....your threat may disappear and your recovery, and reduction of alarm to innocent bystanders is an important aspect.

I would not want to be fumbling with a holster in either aspect....smooth delivery ....smooth recovery....just a thought....
Old March 21, 2013, 11:18 PM   #25
breakingcontact

Re: Question about "re-holstering" an IWB

It should be a thought and one should be able to reholster in some sort of timely fashion. At some point...we are experiencing marketing. Make sure you toss out your pmags now that the Gen3 mags are out.