The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2012, 08:15 AM   #1
kcub

hand tools for loading

I have no space or shop or bench for the usual clamp to a workshop tabletop equipment. I used a Lee loader years ago until I hammered the primer into a case too hard and set it off. I've seen pictures of other old school hand tools perhaps used back in horseback days. Do they still exist or is there something else better to consider?

My purposes are for handgun loads.
Old December 25, 2012, 08:23 AM   #2
RobertInIowa

Have you considered a workmate type foldable workbench? Up when you need them, down when you don't. Just a thought. Could work right in your living room if you want to.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:34 AM   #3
serf 'rett

I use a Workmate. My press and powder measure are mounted to a separate board which I clamp in the Workmate.

For very limited space you may want to look at a Lee hand press.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665...ock-hand-press
Old December 25, 2012, 09:38 AM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/650...hand-press-kit

You will need to add dies with the kit, and a scale would be advisable as well. I would suggest going a step up from the Lee Safety Scale. It works, is accurate, and repeatable. At the cost of not all that user friendly.

Total space used would be a shoe box size. A cheapo plastic tool box will hold it all with some places to put the other tools you will accumulate as well.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:44 AM   #5
kcub

Thanks serf, I will check out the Lee hand press. I am borderline disabled so setting up a temp bench is impractical for me.
Old December 25, 2012, 02:59 PM   #6
mikld

A Lee hand press is a good idea (I have one along with a turret and 3 single stage presses). Balancing can be a chore 'till you work out a system, but a good press all the same. Lyman also still makes their "nut cracker", 310 loading tool. A bit more pricy than the Lee, but more "nostalgic"
Old December 25, 2012, 03:33 PM   #7
jcwit

I still use a Lee Loader to work up loades at the range. I do use a hand primer seating tool to seat primers tho. Even so there is no danger if perchance one sets off a primer when using the Lee Loader.

I only wish I could get a Lee Loader for all 40 different calibers I reload.

I should add I usually use a Sinclair Arbor Press when using my Lee Loaders except when resizing handgun cases.
Old December 25, 2012, 11:27 PM   #8
chris in va

I have loaded thousands with my Hand Loader. Takes a bit of practice but works fine for all my postol and rifle calibers.
Old December 26, 2012, 07:13 AM   #9
kcub

What are the pros and cons of the Lyman 310 vs. the Lee hand press?

I will use it for low pressure .45 ACP for my Webley and Triple Lock revolvers and possibly other things like .45 Schofield, .44 Russian, and insurance against bad laws or supply conditions.
Old December 26, 2012, 03:09 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

I am not sure about much of a difference other than the fact that the Lyman cost more. The Lee hand press works just fine. I know several people that use them. None have anything bad to say about them. Most use the ones they have to load at the range. Their ammo goes bang every time so it works well enough.
Old December 26, 2012, 04:39 PM   #11
kcub

Here is mention of another Huntington tool.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/re...10-tool-3.html

Anyone have any experience?
Old December 27, 2012, 12:45 PM   #12
L_Killkenny

I used a Lee hand press a good bit for a couple years and had no complaints. I didn't have a dedicated reloading area and was tired of setting everything up and breaking it down everytime I reloaded. Have a reloading bench now and I still have my hand press, don't use it often, but it's not going anywhere soon.