The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 29, 2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Racingsnake

Making the PPK a good EDC?

Hi guys,

I'm looking at a Manhurin PPK in .32 to use as an everyday carry because it's flat and will conceal well inside the waistband of work trousers.

Can you give me advice on what modifications would be necessary to make it comfortable to carry and practice with regularly, for example the 'railway tracks' on the web of my hand

I'm more of a revolver guy so need advice...

Best regards, Racingsnake
Old November 29, 2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Vireye

Shoot it first.

I have an Interarms PPK/S (or "Ranger" PPK/S) in .380, but the principle is the same.

I have never had an issue with slide bite. I did, however, have an issue with the safety engaging from recoil (rare, but it happened), so off to the 'smith it went.

You won't know what modifications, if any, are necessary until at least one range trip. Take a few hundred rounds of target ammo, and at least a few mags of your chosen carry ammo. Make sure they all feed properly, check for any malfunctions, etc.

If you have no issues, don't mess with it. If you have malfunctions, then obviously you know what to fix
Old November 29, 2012, 06:22 PM   #3
dajowi

I've got a Manhurin PPK/S in .22. I sometimes carry it in a Stoner IWB holster.

As far as modifications you should only need to change grips if the ones that came with the gun aren't too your liking. The PPK is one of the most comfortable handguns to carry.
Old November 29, 2012, 06:23 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

If your gun isn't a stainless model, then any changes need to be dealt with by a gunsmith.

But that's getting a bit ahead of yourself. First, make sure that the gun is 100% reliable. There's no point in spending money to modify it to the perfect carry gun if not reliable enough to be a carry gun in the first place.

My PPK is stainless, and I've made a few changes to it. I took the sharp edges off the bottom of the slide rails--there's no need for the edges to be razor sharp. Be sure to deal with the bottoms of the slide serrations--they're like sawteeth. I also rounded the back corners of the slide, the hammer burr, the corners on the rear sight and the "beavertail" to make it more comfortable to carry.

If done properly, these modifications are barely noticeable. It doesn't take a lot of metal removal to make a big difference. But, if your gun is blued, it will need to be refinished when you're done.
Old November 29, 2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Que

When I first saw the title of this thread my first thought was .32 and my second thought was Manhurin. Modifications? None.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Seaman

I usually carry a PPK on the ankle as a BUG.

Bear in mind that the PPK is the smallest of the Walther PP series pistols, which means your fifth finger will likely be off the grip and dangle. But if you simply curl your loose finger under the grip you get a good purchase and shooting should be very accurate.

I have made no modifications (save white paint on the sights) and have never suffered slide cuts from any PPK, despite large hands.

Congratulations on a fine acquistion.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

If you don't already have the PPK, do yourself a favor and look at a Keltec P32. Smaller, flatter, much lighter.
Old December 1, 2012, 01:34 AM   #8
michael t

I have a Interarms PPK/S have large hands and it has never bitten me . I went to a 17 lb main spring . Mad DA trigger a little better and still relieable .
Old December 2, 2012, 05:35 PM   #9
jackpine

just shoot it and buy a good holster sideguardholsters.com is a good place to go. If I were you and it wasn't a recoil issue I'd step up to a 9mm kel tec or a Kahr arms pistol. Either one would carry about the same and are not marginal fight stoppers like the 32.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:39 AM   #10
Sixer

Quote:
If you don't already have the PPK, do yourself a favor and look at a Keltec P32. Smaller, flatter, much lighter.
This.

IMHO, the PPK is not a great platform a for "smaller" caliber handgun intended for CCW. You can find a smaller, lighter, more concealable weapon in 9mm, 40 S&W... heck even in a .45

That said, I do like the PPK. It's a proven classic. Still, there are better carry options out there.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.