The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 18, 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
theblakester

Very informative video series

Found this guy on YouTube. He's working on a series full of information regarding long range shooting with all different calibers. This is by far the most informative, detailed, and well organized free video series I've seen. The first video is just an intro. The second one starts really getting into it. Tell me what y'all think.
http://youtu.be/pwG-D0HjCBQ

http://youtu.be/H7bOIB2Zk-E
Old October 18, 2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Woody55

This should be interesting. I don't mean the videos themselves (for me, 500 yards is really long range). I mean the critics.

Popcorn anyone?
Old October 20, 2012, 02:44 AM   #3
theblakester

Anyone into long range shooting really should check this out.
Old October 20, 2012, 07:04 AM   #4
Metal god

I have now watched 5 of the videos . Assuming his numbers are correct ( I have not done the research yet ) and the fact that he can hit a beer can at 1,200 yards . Not many people are going to have much to argue about . It seems like he is the type of guy you just shut up and listen too .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 20, 2012, 10:27 AM   #5
chadio

Quote:
Popcorn anyone?
No, thanks.

I don't think I could hit a piece of popcorn past 100 yds.
Old October 20, 2012, 12:43 PM   #6
emcon5

He clearly knows a lot about LR shooting. There are a few nits to pick, but overall it is decent.

In no particular order:

I don't agree with his use of match bullets on game. If the manufacturer says a particular bullet should not be used for hunting, I may be crazy, but I listen to them.

In his chart comparing various cartridges, his choices were not consistent. While he used the best bullet balisticly for some (the 6mm through 7 mm), others that were OK, but not the best (168 in .308) and pretty far from the best in others (180gr in the 300 magnums is pretty poor, the heavier AMAX is a full .1 higher, and he 240 matchking is about .2 higher) Yeah, he was showing how to compare, but it is important to compare apples to apples, and he should have at least mentioned that.

His choice for .243 is great, but when he talks about "using the rifle you already own" while showing a 105 gr .243 AMAX is misleading. Does any non custom rifle come with a twist fast enough to shoot the 105s?

I also think it is unfortunate that he doesn't talk about the shooter being the most important part of the package until part 6, and up to that point talks about 1000m shots on game like it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. He does touch on what influences a long range shot in the intro, but I think he could go more in to it, hopefully he will later.

The reality is that if you get the range call wrong by 25 yards at those ranges, your bullet will be a foot or more high or low. If you get the wind call off even slightly, you could be off by feet. If you are shooting at a varmint, that is one thing, being off even 6 inches is a miss. But missing the vitals of a deer or elk by a couple feet will give you a cripple, who will be long gone by the time you get to where they were when you shot them. They will probably still die, but it will take a while.

There are people capable of doing such a shot, but they are very few and far between, and frankly most people have no business even considering it. I include myself in that group, and I have capable equipment, and have been shooting LR for a long time.
Old October 20, 2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Metal god

Quote:
In his chart comparing various cartridges, his choices were not consistent. While he used the best bullet balisticly for some (the 6mm through 7 mm), others that were OK, but not the best (168 in .308) and pretty far from the best in others (180gr in the 300 magnums is pretty poor, the heavier AMAX is a full .1 higher, and he 240 matchking is about .2 higher) Yeah, he was showing how to compare, but it is important to compare apples to apples, and he should have at least mentioned that.
I think he was just showing us how to put a chart together and how to use it . He did say we would need to work up our own chart with the critteria most inportant to us . There were a few things i'd like to have seen with all the info his chart had . Like the 338 win mag

Quote:
Does any non custom rifle come with a twist fast enough
You are so right . After watching the videos , I put together some numbers of what I'd like for a long range rifle and went online to look for it . It does not exist at least not that I could find . 7mm mag ,24' heavy fluted barrel or just heavy , 1-8 twist . Howa is supposed to be coming out with fluted barrels for there 1500 series. Cals to include 270 , 30-06 , 7mm mag , 300 win mag , 223 , 308 . I can't wait to see if they will come in different barrel lengths and what the twist rates will be

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 21, 2012, 10:14 AM   #8
emcon5

Quote:
I think he was just showing us how to put a chart together and how to use it . He did say we would need to work up our own chart with the critteria most inportant to us . There were a few things i'd like to have seen with all the info his chart had . Like the 338 win mag
Yeah, but he should probably mention that. In one of the videos, he talked about how the 7mm-08 was better for Long Range than the .300 Win Mag, based on the retained energy and wind drift at 1500 meters.

Well, this is true, I guess, based on his numbers, using the best bullet in the 7mm and a fairly lackluster one by .300 mag standards. Switch that .308 180 AMAX for a 240 SMK, and it stomps the 7mm08 a new mudhole in every category (exterior and terminal). It starts at roughly equal velocity to the 7mm but weights 80 grains more and has up to a full .1 higher BC, depending on velocity.

I don't much care for magnums, but they have their uses, and that is one of them.
Old October 22, 2012, 11:05 PM   #9
taylorce1

Quote:
His choice for .243 is great, but when he talks about "using the rifle you already own" while showing a 105 gr .243 AMAX is misleading. Does any non custom rifle come with a twist fast enough to shoot the 105s?
I think quite a few shooters are having success with the A-Max out of stock Savage and Remington barrels with the 1:9.25 twist. I shoot a 1:7 out of my .243 so I can run 115's, that are out there. My A-Max bullets are packed up but I'm pretty sure they don't require a special twist just like Nosler's 105 custom competition bullets. Faster than 1:10 is preferable but I don't think they need a 1:8 to stabilize.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:48 AM   #10
Picher

Pac-Nor suggested a 1:9 twist when I was shopping for a .243 Win barrel. It works fine for everything, so far, but I haven't shot long bullets, except for Barnes 85 gr. TSX and Hornady GMX 80 gr. bullets, which are about long as 100 gr Sierra SPBTs (and shoot very well).
Old October 23, 2012, 11:49 AM   #11
taylorce1

I was a little wrong in my post the 105 and 107 Nosler Custom Competition bullets are recommended for a 1:8 twist. However, you have to shoot them in your rifle to see if they'll stabilize. As I'm not sure that the recommendation isn't for cartridges like the 6 PPC and BR with smaller case capacity and slower velocities where as the .243 might be able to get enough velocity to stabilize the bullet in a 1:9.25 twist.