The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 10, 2009, 12:12 AM   #1
Tommy H.

How old is S & W 38 Revolver?

I inherited a 5 shot S & W revolver, 38 Special, Serial number 8J1749. Anyone have an idea about its age and value? Thank you for your help.
Old March 10, 2009, 03:19 AM   #2
Radagast

Tommy H.: The Standard catalogue of S&W notes that serial number 1j18601 was issued in 1983, but gives no more information. If you open the cylinder, stamped on the frame in the area normally covered by the cylinder crane will be a model number, it may be model 36-x or 60-x or 37-x or 642, etc, etc. If you post the full model number we can narrow it down using the years that the various engineering changes were made. Engineering changes are noted by the -xx suffix, where xx is a number. Also any relevant informatiion such as:
Does it have adjustable sights?
Timber or rubber grips?
is the barrel ported at the front?
is it stainless steel, blue steel, gray aluminum or nickel plated?

Edit: Per the book S&W should have transferred to a three letter prefix for all serial numbers by 1984, so it is likely your gun was made in 1983.

Last edited by Radagast; March 10, 2009 at 05:51 AM. Reason: extra information
Old September 4, 2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Tommy H.

Late response

Sorry for being so long getting back. Thank you for your info. I think I found the numbers you referred to in your last reply. There were two numbers for identification just inside the cylinder on the frame. One was Mod.36, the other was 74671 Q. I really appreciate your help. I have decided to keep the gun for my wife to shoot. But I need new, softer grips for her. What do you suggest?
Old September 4, 2010, 12:26 PM   #4
FlyFish

Your Model 36 is made on what is known as the "round butt J frame" and many manufacturers make grips that will fit it. Your wife may want to visit a well-stocked gun store to see what feels best in her hand. The best-known rubber grips are probably those made by Hogue and Pachmayr, and you may also want to take a look at the grips made by Crimson Trace, which are rubber and incorporate a laser aiming system that some swear by, others swear at. Although I don't currently own any CT grips, I have tried them and thought they were very nice (lots more expensive than regular rubber grips, of course).

Quote:
Sorry for being so long getting back.
An understatement if ever there was one. I just noticed it's been about a year and a half!
Old September 4, 2010, 12:39 PM   #5
laytonj1

Quote:
Serial number 8J1749
That SN was part of the "floating J" serials which ran from J1 in 1971 to 999J99 in 1972.

Jim
Old September 4, 2010, 12:57 PM   #6
FlyFish

Hey Jim - hadn't seen you post for a while. Good to see you're still with us.

Dick
Old September 4, 2010, 01:15 PM   #7
laytonj1

Thanks, however, it'll only be for a little while. My job has me moving back to Alabama soon. So I'll be off line for awhile.

Jim
Old September 4, 2010, 02:04 PM   #8
FlyFish

Good luck with the move, and try to not be absent too long - when you're not posting, my continuing education here is severely compromised.

Tags
38 special ctg , age , revolver