The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2000, 09:50 PM   #1
DAL

I noticed in the Midway catalog that some powder dispensers are not recommended for use with extruded powders. Can anyone tell me why and what is an extruded powder?
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA
Old March 25, 2000, 09:54 PM   #2
DAL

Damn! I posted this in the wrong forum. Would someone please move this to the reloading forum?
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA
Old March 25, 2000, 11:40 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, maybe I can handle that question. Extruded powders are made by pushing the powder mixture, which is like a dough, through fine holes in a screen. It is exactly like making spaghetti or macaroni, but on a smaller scale. The powder granules look, in fact, like tiny spaghetti or macaroni, as they are short rods or tubes. The gray color is a coating to control burning and feed better through measures.

The other type of powder in common use is ball powder, which is made a different way and is in small balls; these are sometimes flattened slightly. They are similarly coated.

All measures work better with ball powder, but some don't work as well with extruded powder, having sharp surfaces that cut grains and hinder the operation of the measure.

HTH

Jim
Old March 26, 2000, 09:15 PM   #4
Bud Helms

There is also flake powder which looks like ball powder granules which have been pounded or pressed flat.
Old March 27, 2000, 08:26 AM   #5
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Just got back on line.

"As you wish." [Princess Bride}
Old March 27, 2000, 02:31 PM   #6
Nukem

A few examples of extruded powders are in the IMR family, say 4831, 4350, or another would be Varget.
I usually set the measure up to throw short and trickle up to weight.
Forget using this in a progressive.