The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2001, 12:32 PM   #1
Joel Harmon

I have read somewhere that people can trim down standard 9mm cases (which are the standard of 9X19) to 9X18. I plan to reload Makarov and rather than pay inflated prices for 9X18 brass from Starline I would like to trim my own mil-surplus 9mm brass. This would allow me to save a good amount of money on brass. Please advise if anyone knows anything about trimming brass for this purpose.

Thanks,

Joel
Old January 8, 2001, 02:05 PM   #2
DAL

I've heard of this also.

Although I've not tried it yet, I remember reading somewhere very recently that it can be done. IIRC, you have to resize the 9x19 brass as normal in a 9x19 die, then trim it, then the mouth has to be opened with a 9x18 die to accept the larger 9x18 bullet.

Personally, I'm too lazy for all of that work, coupled with the fact that I don't have die sets for either caliber, and I'd rather just buy cheap Russian ammo, at least for this caliber. Someday, if I find a bunch of extra time (which might happen if I stayed away from TFL more--nah!), I may just give it a try. If nothing else, it'll give me an excuse to reload more.

If you do try this, please post the results here.
DAL

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
--Patrick Henry, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

"When citizens fear their government, you have tyranny; when the government fears its citizens, you have freedom."
--Thomas Jefferson

GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, ARI, NRA
Old January 8, 2001, 07:03 PM   #3
bfox

reloading 9x18 makarov

I have tried it works great.
First saw it on makarov.com
Old January 8, 2001, 08:44 PM   #4
skyder

Joel
I have converted hundreds of 9mmP cases to Makarov. Works
just great. I use a Forster trimmer with a drill adapter
and it only takes a few seconds to trim the 1 millimeter off
the end of a fired and (usually) cleaned 9x19 case. A trip through the Mak sizer die and with the case mouth belled, load it up and enjoy. I powdered and plugged another 150 of my conversions yesterday with what may become one of my standard loads--3.5 gr Bullseye and a 95 gr Rainier plated round nose cast lead bullet.
If you load 9x19 as well as Mak, as I do, it is a good idea to mark one or the other to help in sorting them out. Bad idea to try to shoot them in the wrong gun. I use a felt tip marker and "X" the heads on the Maks. The mark lasts long enough to get them to the tumbler and hopefully warns anyone who might pick up an overlooked case that it is not what the headstamp says.
Go for it!
Old January 9, 2001, 11:23 AM   #5
Ark

I used Lee case trimer with Makarov pilot to trim the case. Besides that, I liberally applied some ugly green nail polish, which I got from the dollar store, around the primer. It'll last for a couple of reloads, and then I'll apply it again. Ark
Old January 10, 2001, 08:26 AM   #6
Joel Harmon

Thanks guys. This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I know I don't have to buy the Starline brass. I'll just use commercial once fired 9mm.

Thanks again,

Joel
Old January 12, 2001, 10:46 AM   #7
LIProgun

I used to do this before reloadable 9x18 brass was readily available. I started with 9x19mm brass, and trimmed it down with an RCBS Rotary Case Trimmer 2 and power drill adapter. After trimming and deburring, I ran it through a set of Lyman 9x18 dies.

The first loading looks a little strange, because the taper in the Luger case and the oversized (i.e., .364" vs. .355") bullet the Mak uses results in something of a bulged appearance towards the case mouth.

The first firing produces sooty residue on the outside of the cases, probably due to the fact that the tapered case is blowing out and fireforming. After that, it is the same as factory 9x18 brass except for the headstamp. Interestingly, while I thought that such formed brass would experience side or mouth splits after a few reloadings, it hasn't happened yet.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.