The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2001, 05:38 PM   #1
Jorah Lavin

Okay... well, I accidentally avoided "disaster" but it was too close! Turns out that I really do need to seat my 230gr LRN bullets a bit deeper, since the cartriges barely fit into my Kimber's magazine.

I shot up all 150 rounds that I'd made, and had one failure-to-feed, which I suspect was the result of the oversize cartriges.

I had a very mild load, only 0.1 grain over the minimum from the Winchester load data sheet.

I shot off-hand, and my accuracy seemed to be better than with factory rounds, and the recoil, natch, was a lot softer; I'd been getting a flinch when I shot more than 50 rounds in a session, but no sign of one today, with three times as much going downrange.

I'm very pleased, and will keep this mild loading for a while, but seating the bullets down to 1.260 instead of 1.275 as this batch was.

Now I can make some more!

-Jorah

Old January 7, 2001, 06:14 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Jorah,

Great! I wouldn't call the overlong cartridges a case of "accidentally avoided "disaster" ", though. Believe me, too short (as in too deep, as in pressure rise ... )is closer to disaster than too long .... Good show.
Old January 7, 2001, 06:36 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

CONGRATULATIONS - - -

on your first trip to the range with your hand loaded ammo.
Isn't there a feeling of freedom, when you can shoot as much as you want for very little money?

This will be doubly reinforced the first time you shoot a match with your own ammo.

I feel the ultimate feeling of accomplishment is when you go afield and take game with your own hand loads. Elder Son and I were discussing same this afternoon on a short (and chilly) trip to the range. I can't recall the last deer I shot with factory ammo, unless it was the 1973 doe with a 190 gr. Super Vel JHP from my old No. 1 National Match. Actually, that same season I got my buck with Federal factory .30-06. Since then, I believe it's all been handloads.

Nothing wrong with factory ammo, of course--I intended to try out Fed Premium .308, 165 gr, this season, but things didn't work out, alas.

Continue your careful handloading practices, sir, and may you derive as much pleasure from your loading as I have from mine.

Johnny
Old January 7, 2001, 11:22 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Good on ya sir...........Sam
Old January 8, 2001, 02:45 AM   #5
muzzletalk

I would have to agree with the 1.260 instead of the 1.275. I have had the same problems with OAL of around 1.273 or so. I have also decided to seet the bullet deeper into the case. I know the concerns of increased preasure. I might just have to try a faster burning powder so internal pressure will not build up.
Old January 8, 2001, 04:52 AM   #6
Jorah Lavin

The rangemaster says...

When I showed my reloads to the owner of the range where I shoot, he thought they wouldn't work at all... "need to seat those down to that shoulder there."

Looks sensible, and would make the OAL pretty close to 1.260, so I'm going to load some tonight. (w231 powder)

The pistol was very dirty, and if I've been following the chat here, then "under-seating" could actually explain that; if the bullet doesn't have enough "dwell-time" (I don't know what it is called in gun-speak; I mean, the amount of time that the bullet remains in the case after the powder has started burning) then the powder wouldn't incinerate as well, leaving more residue. It will be interesting to see if some of the mess is lessened once I put the OAL down to "where it should be."

-J.
Old January 8, 2001, 05:06 AM   #7
The Maz

I have found that with most cast RN bullets seating them to have the "shoulder" on the shank of the bullet flush with the case mouth gives the proper length. I've been doing that with my 230 GR RNL loads with good results. YMMV.
Old January 8, 2001, 07:46 AM   #8
Bullshooter

Me Too!

I also just began handloading for my .45s. I used 6.1 gr. of Unique in new Remington brass and CCI large pistol primers. I also seated to a COL of 1.260 - 1.265" and used a taper crimp that saw the neck stay at about .472". These handloads worked great, and had a little more "pop" than the Blazers I've been shooting. Big pain though chasing all of your new brass all over the place, with other shooters eyeballing the rolling cases! I didn't have any misfeeds in my Springfield using factory mags.

I have dies for my .44 Mag and .357 Mag and want to "roll my own" for the calibers as well.
Old January 8, 2001, 06:42 PM   #9
Steve Smith

Jorah, FYI, I have found 5.0 gr of W231 worked very well in my wife's Springfield, and produced an IDPA approved load (over power factor) (with 230 LRN). Also, if you decide to use 200 gr. LSWCs, I've found that 5.4 gr works well, and satisfies power factor loads.

You may not be interested in shooting IDPA, but meeting these power floors will mean you're shooting with "defensive power" loads.

basically, try to get over a 165,000 power floor (bullet weight x fps)
Old January 8, 2001, 08:43 PM   #10
Jorah Lavin

I'd like to compete...

I'd actually like to compete in IDPA or similar, but there seems to be no action around the Charlotte NC area.

Quote:
You may not be interested in shooting IDPA, but meeting these power floors will mean you're shooting with "defensive power" loads.

basically, try to get over a 165,000 power floor (bullet weight x fps)
I'm deliberately shooting light loads at the moment, combined with extra dry-firing, because I'd started developing a flinch with commercial loads. I'm going to build back up gradually.

-J.

PS: the guy I bought my Dillon from wants to sell me his old "shooting crony" for $45; good price? Do I need one of these?

Old January 9, 2001, 01:59 PM   #11
Bogie

Chronographs are good. Chronys are okay. Good price, assuming it works and is unventilated. Chrony has a program where they'll refurb it after you ventilate it too...

Here's what you wanna do - Take your barrel out of your gun. ALL THE WAY OUT. Like you're doing major cleanage, okay?

Now, seat a bullet at the recommended OAL, and drop the round in the chamber. Does it fit well? If you're seating too long, you're gonna jam into the lands. Not a good thing with handguns, since it'll retard feeding, possibly resulting in an "out of battery" situation or jam... I've noticed that Midway's load map book for the .45 has some WAY long OALs published. They sure didn't work in either of my barrels, neither of which had "match" chambers...

Old January 9, 2001, 02:23 PM   #12
Steve Smith

IDPA in NC

How about these:

http://www.idpa.com/clubs/states/northcarolina.htm
Old January 9, 2001, 07:44 PM   #13
Jorah Lavin

Yeah, I heard about these guys...

Quoth Steve:

Quote:
IDPA in NC
How about these:

http://www.idpa.com/clubs/states/northcarolina.htm
I've heard of the outfit in Oxford. It is about 60 miles or so from here. Now that I have cheaper ammo, I might find the time to drive up there.

Just got word yesterday that there are going to be deep layoffs in our divison of the bank, so things are a tad rocky at the moment. I'm thinking "food" rather than "competition" at the moment.

-J.

Old January 10, 2001, 03:56 AM   #14
Walt Welch

Good advice about having the bbl. handy for checking fit of reloads. If the round is too long, and the bullet seats into the leadle, it can actually retain the bullet, dumping the powder charge into the chamber and receiver. Fun stuff.

You have already learned to check magazine fit. Good.

The .45 ACP is a very large pot cartridge, and is tolerant of varying seating depths. I would start with the recommended OAL, and if you reduce it, be sure and go with the lightest powder charge recommended.

If you are flinching, why are you fooling with 230 gr. bullets? Get some good 200 gr. LSWC's, and put 4.0 to 4.2 gr. of Bullseye behind them. Seat so that the shoulder of the bullet just sticks out of the case. Lyman gives this load about 8,000 lup. You will probably have to reduce your mainspring to 10 lbs. for reliable function. I have shot many rounds of this load in my GC's. Do not, of course, fire full power loads with reduced power mainsprings.

Hope this helps, Walt