The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 29, 2007, 11:20 PM   #26
zahnzieh

streamlight

Streamlight would get my vote - get one with thr green/blue LEDs and a flashlight combo - rechargeable too. As far as tracking a wounded/downed deer a good old Coleman lantern works best. Seems to put out a yellow light which makes the blood stand out better - and if you are tracking 3 hours, no battery worries. Also keeps you warm in Dec- Jan.
Old October 31, 2007, 03:29 PM   #27
Mannlicher

I am still using an old AA Maglite but recently added one of those LED conversion bulbs. Not the most modern, but it sure does work.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 1, 2007, 01:06 AM   #28
lil_bro

This should work for close range.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=355999

Not too sure about the quality though.

Michael.
Old November 1, 2007, 06:06 AM   #29
CamoCop

in my opinion as an avid hunter, a hunting light must be hands free, bright and good on batteries. 95% of the lights mentioned above are only 1 of the 3 necessary qualities a good hunting light must have. high dollar stream lights and such are good tactical lights but have no place in my hunting gear, imo.
Old November 1, 2007, 07:11 AM   #30
JKump

As a cop I have three different brands of "working" flashlights that I might take deer searching. My primary is the Scorpion, small light that is good and bright, I also have two stingers and one Pelican M6. All three are very bright, rugged, and compact. The scorpion is my favorite deer light because it is smaller and the others, Pelican is on the duty belt, one Stinger in my Tac vest and the other Stinger is on the night stand. With flashlight as with firearms you get what you pay for. More money, brighter and compact/rugged lights.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old November 1, 2007, 10:33 AM   #31
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

CamoCop, I grant that I have fairly large hands, but I found long ago that I can hold my Streamlight and the rifle's forearm together, quite easily. Detrimental to Ol' Wily.
Old November 2, 2007, 02:51 AM   #32
CamoCop

i thought this was "best light for hunting"? i dunno about your state but in mine you better not be in the woods with a light and a gun. also i carry a scorpion on my duty belt, it compact and very bright but eat's batteries like you would not believe.
Old November 2, 2007, 07:56 AM   #33
9mm1033

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked at a few Surefire, Pelican and others, but found the Streamlight, Strion with a charger fit my needs best.
Old November 2, 2007, 09:03 AM   #34
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

CamoCop, Texas has few restrictions on hunting equipment for nighttime varmint hunting. It's best to make a courtesy call to a deputy or a game warden, just to save hassle if somebody hears shots at night and jumps at the telephone.

For actual hunting with a flashlight, a lesser brightness can be better than the Streamlight or equivalent. Regardless, lighting up a critter's eyes with the edge of the beam disturbs them less, while direct shining with a bright light will or can discourage them.

My common calling procedure is to use a Q-Beam with a red lens cover to pick up eyes at a distance. Then no more Q-Beam. Keep calling, and use the edge of the Streamlight's beam very briefly to just spot where the eyes have moved to. Up close and personal, a regular old D-cell flashlight is plenty for seeing through the scope.

I haven't had a chance to try one, but one of these new-type lights folks have mentioned, with a red lens or whatever, oughta work. Critters are much less bothered by a red light.

Art
Old November 7, 2007, 02:50 AM   #35
CamoCop

i apologize, i must have read his post wrong. i though he was looking for a light just to get him to and back from his stand and the occaisional blood track. i did not know he was inquiring on actually shooting with the light.