The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 18, 2014, 07:26 AM   #51
Auto5

I have a 15 rd aftermarket mag for my BHP that I don't completely trust. It doesn't malfunction consistently, just often enough that I've designated it for range use only.
Old October 18, 2014, 01:26 PM   #52
10mm4ever

If it needs more than a new spring replaced, chuck it.
Old October 19, 2014, 08:08 AM   #53
gbclarkson

Agree with Kraig

I don't want them back into circulation so I stomp on them and then throw them as far as I can. (I get ****** off first, obviously)
Old October 19, 2014, 02:50 PM   #54
Bill DeShivs

I'm sorry, but most of the replies here are insane!
Magazines are very simple machines. Most of the time they can be easily repaired. Even if you can't fix them yourself, there are people who would gladly take them and repair them. Just mark them and put them away until you find someone who wants them.
Crushing, stomping, destroying them might even indicate that you have an anger problem.
Old October 19, 2014, 09:32 PM   #55
orionengnr

Honestly, I have not had any mag problems.
I have owned probably 50 magazine-fed pistols through the years (at least half of them 1911s).
I have had a few pistols that I could never get to function satisfactorily (all of them Kel-Tecs, total of four) and even though I bought additional new mags and various types of ammo, (and performed the legendary Fluff and Buff) they never came good. So I really doubt it was a magazine problem, but rather a pistol design/execution problem. Similarly designed LCPs (two so far) functioned perfectly....

So honestly, I dealt with the Kel-Tec issue by selling each with full disclosure (or, in one case, by giving it away). And I won't buy another. Don't care how cheap it is or how cool it looks.
Old October 20, 2014, 01:14 AM   #56
hemiram

The ones I've had were always able to be fixed without a lot of work, deburring a follower, cleaning a ton of unburned powder out of it, replacing a messed up spring, or tweaking the feed lips, and that's about it. I've never had one that I had to trash. Not even the junky Pro-Mag Beretta 92 mags that didn't work very well in a 92 worked fine in my Kel-Tec SUB-2000 without any tweaking, and afterwards are 100% ok in a 92 now. They all had the same issues, followers that were pretty badly molded and after a little sanding/filing, they were fine. They do sound very "boingy" when they hit the ground though.
Old October 20, 2014, 06:09 PM   #57
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking our advice. What I would do

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP-Sauce
Most of the time the body itself is fine and the problem stems from Spring/Follower/Base pad issues.
None had problems with the lips?

Before I disposed of any, I would tinker with them, most definitely. I would even try my hand at making replacement parts (I almost never succeed, but do like a challenge). Only after I completely ruined it and all its component parts would I throw one away.

But that's just me.

Lost Sheep
Old October 20, 2014, 07:01 PM   #58
Walt Sherrill

• If a mag is somehow worn thin, I may keep the follower and spring (if fairly fresh) and trash the rest. I've never encountered THAT problem with a mag.
  • If the spring has lost it's zest, I get a new spring. They're NOT expensive.
  • If the follower is bad -- not a common problem for a mag that was previously sound and functional -- I get a new follower. They're not expensive.
  • If the mag tube is dented, parts are retained and the tube is tossed.

I've had and shot a lot of guns over the past 25 years, but I've never had that many problems with good quality or factory mags. Springs are the one part that can wear out unexpectedly. As Bill notes, above, they're pretty simple machines.

If you just throw them away, you have more money to spare than I do.
Old October 21, 2014, 04:32 PM   #59
gwpercle

I got tired of the magazine working/not working in which of three 1911 45's song and dance. Had a box with thirty magazines that might work all depending on the phase of the moon.
Bought a 45 acp revolver.....Oh Lord is it nice! If it fits in the cylinder , it will shoot and eject! No more fickle magazines and no more chasing brass all over creation.
Tired of tinkering....Gary
Old October 22, 2014, 01:31 AM   #60
DavidG.

Unreliable magazine? Is this not what a warranty is for?
Old October 22, 2014, 07:57 AM   #61
lee n. field

Quote:
Unreliable magazine? Is this not what a warranty is for?
Some random gunshow 1911 mag or cheap "Korea Military" glock mag? Naaaah. Not worth the trouble, usually.

Depends how much the magazine cost, and if it's a factory mag or not.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 24, 2014, 02:28 PM   #62
dwhite

I have four mags for my Taurus PT-22, three I bought used from someone.

Of those three one has the lips out of location so bad I cannot get the thing to function reliably. Others are flawless.

The bad one is going to the great smelter in the sky. I've spent too much time working on it already.

All the Best,
D. White
Old October 24, 2014, 02:55 PM   #63
TXAZ

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 24, 2014, 10:32 PM   #64
agent109

^^^^^

Yup you got it......the trash bin is a sure cure for flaky magazines!
Old October 25, 2014, 11:16 AM   #65
banditgriot

Spare parts for my other mags of same manufacture...I got a bad Glock 21/41 magazine with the purchase of my G-41. The retention slot is too loose and the magazine drops from the gun if you look at it wrong. Springs, base plate and follower are now spares.
Old October 26, 2014, 08:38 PM   #66
xtrarnds

I change the mag spring. If that doesn't work, I throw it away.
Old October 27, 2014, 12:21 AM   #67
Geh3333

I have 8 mags for my full size rock island 45 1911 . Other then the two 8 rd Novak mags that came with my 1911 I've only ever bought the cheaper 7 rd all steel mags , 2 colt , 3 " some type of gov issue mags" . I also have a cheap 15rd promag . I've noticed that all of the cheap mags needed some dremel work to reshape the top of the mag so that the rds fed smooth without getting caught up . After I did some dremel work they all work perfect even the 15 rd promag . My wife just recently bought a compact RIA 1911 45 Acp and while we were buying a couple new mags we noticed that it took a good smack to get the mag inserted " unlike the mags that came with the 1911" . The guy at the counter said " that's normal with 1911's , you have to smack them in" It was just like the Novak mags with the plastic bottom plate . I looked at her Novaks plastic plate and noticed the part that fit into the notch at the bottom front of the grip was longer on all the mags they were selling . So I bought one and filed the plastic down about 1/16 of an inch and it slid in and snapped in without having to smack it in . I was kinda shocked that they thought that was normal to have to smack the mag in to get it to catch . I just look at these cheap mags as unfinished , I'll save some money and finish them myself .
Old October 27, 2014, 07:11 PM   #68
S&W-Keeper

I tape a dime to them,and throw them away,then I can say thnat I lost something.
Old October 27, 2014, 08:16 PM   #69
mr bolo

unreliable mags

I salvage usable parts and keep them for spare parts

I once had a Tokarev magazine that wouldnt fit my pistol, the mag body fit too tight, so I tried to flatten it down a little and it was still a poor fit, so I saved the magazine spring, the follower, the floor plate and tossed the defective mag body

a few years later I got some new Tokarev 9mm mags with a cheap plastic floor plate, so the extra steel floor plate I saved came in handy as a replacement part.

had some GI M1911 mags with broken stress cracked feed lip lips, I saved the followers and the mag springs

I reused the mag spring to fix another mag with a bad spring

I replaced all my GI black plastic followers in my 30 rd AR15 mags with the improved green non tilt followers and saved my original black followers as spares
Old October 28, 2014, 11:34 AM   #70
Nanuk

Quote:
I trash them. I don't want anything to do with defective mags.
This. Magazines are expendable items.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 28, 2014, 12:20 PM   #71
DavidAGO

The mag that was with the Star super in 9mm Largo I acquired would not stay latched in the magazine well. The latch was worn and the edge of the magazine notch were worn. I had a friend who has a laser welder build up the edge of the notch and the edge of the catch with a chrome cobalt alloy so that it worked. I would think that most of us could outthink a piece of metal or acrylic.

David
Old October 28, 2014, 02:07 PM   #72
Bill DeShivs

David,
Apparently not!
Old October 28, 2014, 05:20 PM   #73
Hook686

I replace them. If you cannot afford to and this is a gun you rely upon for personal defense, then maybe you can not afford to own a gun. I think you need to have full confidence in the gun you are going to bet your life, or your family's life on. It might be wise to sell the gun and buy another weapon.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old October 28, 2014, 05:25 PM   #74
tahunua001

I either use them for practice only, throw them away, or sell them to someone willing to deal with a faulty mag.
Old October 29, 2014, 05:16 PM   #75
suppressedisbest

Cut an X deep into it and use it for training...

Tags
magazines , mecgar