The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 31, 2008, 11:10 AM   #51
SKYDOG308

I don't have M1 Carbine, I just like them, I think they are the best (pistol) ever made. I think they are a blast to shoot.

Cleaning M1A - M14 Platform. I need several things, cleaning rod or bore snake, a 7.62 cartridge, a combo-tool, two gas piston drills and I prefer to have a wrench to "hold" gas cylinder/barrel while I torque off the gas cylinder cap, a stiff bristle brush is nice to have and a clean rag and some grease pots.

Cleaning the Steel Warrior comes in intervals, not in complete overhauls like the AR family, but more akin to the AK with a little more attention to detail.

Every 200 rounds bore gets cleaned with snake or rod whether it needs it or not.
5 minutes to 10 minutes, no take down necessary.

Every 600-800 rounds gas piston gets pulled, drilled and polished, add an extra five minutes.

every 1500 rounds, well this is when it gets to be fun, plan on about 1 hour to do her up right. Give you time to relax from the rigors of the day and hold her tight!
Old May 31, 2008, 11:57 AM   #52
tulsamal

I agree there is something to be said for the FN PS90 and a companion FN 57 pistol. But it isn't just ammo cost that gives me pause. It's the whole thing. I paid $199 for my SAR-2. The 30 round mags were less than $10 each. You can buy the ammo for $120 for a 1080 round sealed can. Milspec ammo. (And the metal cans I already have from several years ago cost me less than that. Weren't they around $79?)

Sure, you don't see SAR-2's for that price anymore. But I'm having an AK pistol built right now on an AMD65 kit. Don't need US parts so that makes it cheaper. I've only got about $170 in that gun for the kit and the receiver. I spent outrageous amounts of money for an unissued Yugo .223 AK kit. That was over $400. About $100 for the receiver. Maybe another $100 for US parts. And the extra mags are crazy expensive (for an AK) at $25 each. Still means I got the whole shebang for around $700. And I can use my AR ammo in it.

If we use Bud's online prices, the PS90 is going to run about $1660 plus transfer fees. And that's with a 30 round mag. So $60 each for the 50 round mags. Let's go cheap and just get three. So that adds $180 to the cost of the rifle. And if I was going to get one, I really think I would be unhappy with the stock sight. Probably end up spending another $300-$400 to end up with something better. It seems like I could end up with $2500 in the rifle by the time I get a few "cool extras" for it.

The handgun isn't cheap either. Bud's wants $855 for it plus transfer costs. That's what I paid for my HK45 and I have to say I would take the HK in that comparison!

And that still leaves us with the ammo costs. I'm not even going to go look that up. I really doubt 1000 round cases of it are going to compare favorably to 5.45x39 or 7.62x39 or 5.56mm. And we've come this far without even arguing about whether or not it really provides enough stopping power in the first place.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm saying I don't have enough money to make the experiment! I might really love the little rifle but man, that's a lot of money. I could get a US made AUG for that and I would personally rather own the AUG. Granted, if money is no object, it is an intriguing concept to play around with. But I really hesitate to recommend it for the "average Joe" looking for their SHTF rifle!

If I ever see somebody at the range shooting one, I'll have to beg to try it! I'll be sure to offer to pay for my share of the ammo.

Gregg
Old May 31, 2008, 12:21 PM   #53
Wulfmann

If I only is actually I only have one assault rifle. That is a civi version of a military type in semiauto form.
The Daewoo DR200 has been called the best assault rifle in the world.
Subjective but certainly a fine weapon.
It combines the things one like in an AR-15 with the better qualities of an AK-47.
The fact it uses AR mags and some parts interchange as it is a similar bolt it differs in that the gas system is a piston rod like the AK (but better, IMO) so the lack of carbon blowing on the bolt means one can go thousands of rounds without a single cleaning. I bought my second DR200 in 2003 and 55 months later I cleaned it for the first time.
Very accurate cheaper to load for or find cheap ammo for.
Far more reliable than an AR, far more accurate than an AK.
Big black, dripping with savvy, hell forget shooting it, if it had a bathroom I'd live in it!

Wulfmann
Old May 31, 2008, 12:23 PM   #54
Tomac

Tulsamal, I completely agree w/you about both the price of the PS90 & the appeal/utility of the 5.45 AK (my fav non-PS90 platform). I remember when I bought 2 new SAR-2's when they first came out. To test reliability I took them both right out of the box w/o cleaning/lubing and with the help of a couple of friends put 4K rds of Wolf 60gr 5.45 through them (2K apiece) in the course of a single day. Reliability was 100% and with the exception of the PS90 have yet to encounter that sort of "right out of the box" reliability and using the Kobra sight could consitently hit the 300m gong all day if I did my part. I think I paid $250 for mine, Kobras were $125 back then, EG 5.45 mags were dirt cheap (would pick up the NIB EG 4xmags/pouch combos for like $35) and Wolf 60gr 5.45 was right around $100/case. Unfortunately, SAR-2's are no longer imported and I fear all it would take is a stroke of the executive pen to ban further imports of 5.45 ammo (know of any domestic 5.45 ammo makers? I don't... at least my fav 5.7 ammo is produced domestically) and the currently available 7N6 milsurp is corrosively primed which adds to the time, effort & supplies needed for cleaning adequate enough to avoid rust (not that big a concern if you're only using it for range ammo). For the price, IMHO, you can't go wrong w/a good 5.45 AK and a few cases of Wolf 60gr put back, best "bang for the buck" value out there.
Yeah, the PS90 is the most expensive rifle package I've ever owned (I don't think I want to add up exactly how much I've put into them) and it's not for everyone or every pupose but price aside I think it makes an excellent survival/SD setup.
Tomac
ETA: SkyDog, my apologies if I misinterpreted your posts...
Old May 31, 2008, 12:57 PM   #55
MTMilitiaman

Quote:
Cleaning the Steel Warrior comes in intervals, not in complete overhauls like the AR family, but more akin to the AK with a little more attention to detail.

Every 200 rounds bore gets cleaned with snake or rod whether it needs it or not.
5 minutes to 10 minutes, no take down necessary.

Every 600-800 rounds gas piston gets pulled, drilled and polished, add an extra five minutes.

every 1500 rounds, well this is when it gets to be fun, plan on about 1 hour to do her up right. Give you time to relax from the rigors of the day and hold her tight!
That makes sense. I do it a little differently, cleaning the bore and the gas system together every 300 to 400 rounds. Basically, that means I just pull the cable from my Otis through the bore everytime I take the gas system apart. After the bore is clean, I clean the gas system, and put everything back together dry.

The receiver and bolt stay so clean, I could probably go 1200 to 1500 rounds on my M1A before I clean it, but I don't.
Old June 1, 2008, 01:29 PM   #56
SKYDOG308

Tomac, no apologies necessary. My original answer early in the thread stands, AK , but I'm a 30 cal person, did the exact same thing you did with SAR-2's, but for some reason (it's been a few years) I took them back and just sold them back to the gun store, for like 150.00 each, and tossed about 3K rounds of ammo into the city landfill because I had opened all the boxes and put them into sealed cans, there's some 5.45.in the county landfill for you treasure hunters, about six months ago I sold all my AR15 stuff, rifles, mags, ammo, tools and everything AR associated to my stepson for $1.00, I desloved myself of 1911 format pistols and standardized on two pistol formats, XD in 45ACP and Berreta in 9mm with recreational Walter's in 22LR and as easy to conceal backups, my wife and I decided to keep our target 22 pistols....man I'm way off topic...short and long of the whole selection process for me is what I shoot well and what I have a respect for in caliber, basically we are a 12 gauge (all 870 pumps) 762x51 M1A and Bolt action rifle fanily with AK-47 folders and fixed as assualt semi auto's, The 30.06 Garands are just basically for looks and occasional matches. if it HTF the Garands and '06 ammo would be left behind, no second thoughts at all. BTW all my M14's have fibreglass stocks on them. The wood stocks hang for presentation purposes of the rifles when they will no longer be needed or used, wraped in plastic. Just waiting for me to turn back into dust.
Old June 1, 2008, 01:41 PM   #57
SKYDOG308

MTMilitiaman,
I brush off face of bolt and ramp and chamber brush (I forgot in my list of items) and wipe out the chamber every 200 rounds of so, maybe light grease outer rail if becoming dry, check grease on bearing, but I seldom if ever take out of stock before 1500 rounds and clean, degrease and regrease everything.
Approaching 10,000 rounds on same barrel (chrome molly) very soon, maybe next week and TE is 5 and bore is 2, but I can still nail clay pigions (laying on the ground) at 300 yards (not meters) with South African surp ammo, but barrel is at the end of it's life and will soon be headed back to krieger for an upgrade, this is the MAIN thing I dislike about 30 cal rifles (especially since all of mine are match rifles and not chrome lined) they chew up barrels like crazy.
Old June 1, 2008, 01:53 PM   #58
Tomac

Skydog: Nice setup you have! Although I regard the PS90's/FN57's as the primary firearms I also have several 12ga pumps for close-in & a .308 NDM-86 Dragunov for distance shots. However, I wouldn't feel terrible if I had to leave everything but the PS90's & FN57's behind.
Tomac
Old June 1, 2008, 02:24 PM   #59
Jamie Young

Normally I'd say a Mini 14, but my #1 favorite rifle is slowly becoming my LWRC AR.
Old June 2, 2008, 06:50 PM   #60
JKHolman

Daewoo

Hear! Hear!, Wolfmann.
Old June 2, 2008, 07:06 PM   #61
grimjaw

If nothing else changed (legislation, current political climate, SHTF, etc) besides my ability to afford one, I'd get a AK74 Krink. It the only one I could afford to feed with a happy switch available.

jm
Old June 3, 2008, 05:31 AM   #62
quiettype1

Given the choice I would choose the Daewoo K2 over the DR200 simply because of the 1x7.3" twist.The folding stock is also a plus.
Old June 3, 2008, 05:46 AM   #63
Incognito

Avtomat Kalashnikova 7.62x39mm

Accept no substitutes.
Old June 3, 2008, 06:52 AM   #64
mee

Im taking an M4 style carbine with a .308 cal upper. daytime nighttime scope. laser. tactical light. bipod. you know the works. reason for the .308 upper is its a nice round similar to 7.62. good at med to long range. hits a little harder than a .223! OHH OHHH AND its a hunting round so there for as "shtf" and the govt takes the standard .223s off the shelf to use for "national security" the .308 hunting round will still be aboundant there for personal protection hehe
Old June 3, 2008, 09:53 PM   #65
Webleymkv

Assault Rifle- Saiga .223

Battle Rifle- FN-49 30-06

Hey, waddaya know, those are the only two rifles I own in those categories, all the rest are bolt or lever action.
Old June 4, 2008, 12:14 PM   #66
tulsamal

Quote:
Im taking an M4 style carbine with a .308 cal upper. daytime nighttime scope. laser. tactical light. bipod. you know the works.
Ohh, good idea. Pick a bunch of stuff that adds weight and that will stop working when there are no more batteries!

Quote:
reason for the .308 upper is its a nice round similar to 7.62. good at med to long range.
What is THAT supposed to mean?! It's like me saying I'm going to pick a .223 because it is "similar to 5.56mm!"

Quote:
OHH OHHH AND its a hunting round so there for as "shtf" and the govt takes the standard .223s off the shelf to use for "national security" the .308 hunting round will still be aboundant there for personal protection
So I'm going to somehow still have my rifles after this "SHTF" but somehow I don't have all the many thousands of rounds I've stocked away just for them? All my reloading components stopped working? The unopened metal cans of 5.45x39 mysteriously disappeared?

I'm not dissing 7.62 NATO. I'm a FAL guy myself. But it will be a peculiar future where you can still find and buy .308 Winchester but not 5.56mm or .223 Remington!

Gregg
Old June 28, 2008, 11:53 AM   #67
dasss

new guy here

AK 47 is there any other?
Old June 28, 2008, 12:20 PM   #68
bigjack59

My one and only Assault Rifle is in my cabinet...6.8SPC in a M4 carbine look alike. Kills everything, doesn;t miss, is loud as hell and has never let me down.
Old June 28, 2008, 03:06 PM   #69
jughead2

assault rifle??????????

i agree with post #15. got one as a christmas present a few years back. wont comment on what i an old man 2 days older than dirt has been able to do at a measured 400 yards with it couldnt believe it my self. my son stood there with his mouth open.
Old June 28, 2008, 04:22 PM   #70
ronl

My Robarms XCR. I do like the Daewoo, but my neighbor wouldn't sell his to me. I like my Ak and my AR's, but I can only choose one and the XCR is the best of both worlds.
Old June 29, 2008, 03:53 PM   #71
slakline

Fal carbine.....that's all I would need.
Old June 29, 2008, 04:46 PM   #72
Creature

Gotta go with the AR.

Superior accuracy compared to the AK and adaptable to many configurations. Lugging the ammo to feed it is a bit easier than the AK's as well.

Old June 29, 2008, 09:00 PM   #73
Rifleman 173

AK-103 type rifle. Polymer furniture with the hitting power of the 7.62 X 39 cartridge. AK reliability to boot. Can't beat that unless you add a 4 X scope to it.
Old June 29, 2008, 09:09 PM   #74
Sarge

AK. Don't care who made it as long as the gas tube and front sight are on straight & it wasn't crowned by a drunk chimp with a chainsaw file. I can fix those things if need be, though. I'd like a big pile of Hungarian 20 round mags and a couple of cases of Barnaul Silver Bear, while you're boxing it up.
Old June 29, 2008, 11:05 PM   #75
guntotinguy

Quote:
But I like my Saiga conversion.
+ 1,I like my 3 Saiga converts,also got a Arsenal SLR-107CR.

Tough choices to make...