The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 29, 2010, 07:01 PM   #1
alloy

!911 recoil plug wear

Plug on Colt Gov't is wearing like the drawing. Has a couple thousand rounds and the associated parts don't show any wear patterns. It's not as dramatic as the pic but you get the idea and it is somewhat beveled on the end.

Toss it and replace with a new one, or keep shooting as is, or is it a symptom of something else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plug.JPG (7.4 KB, 76 views)
Old March 29, 2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

bushing

Sir;
Check for a loose barrel bushing!
Harry B.
Old March 29, 2010, 09:12 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yep, or just sloppy disassembly procedures. Interestingly, at one time it was common for gunsmiths to bevel the plug just like that and to put a corresponding bevel into the back of the bushing where it contacted the plug. The idea was that the plug pushed the bottom of the bushing out and that acted to tighten the barrel-bushing contact. I don't know if it worked, but I did it on a few guns and it was a pretty common practice.

Jim
Old March 29, 2010, 10:06 PM   #4
alloy

The bushing seems snug/nice on the barrel, and compared to my others, about the same within the slide. But maybe the bushing has a small bit of end play that it will push in and out from the slide.

No side to side play, or up and down play...but maybe .010 in and out play when tension is applied or taken off the recoil plug.

That the looseness you guys refer too? Definately doesn't need a wrench.
The area of the bushing that contacts the plug, doesn't have much of a machined surface, looks more like cast, but no blue has worn off these parts except the recoil plug.

Will try to photo tomorrow.
Old March 30, 2010, 05:37 AM   #5
alloy

Ok looking at the bushing and plug, the bushing obviously rocks back and forth a bit under the spring tension and is gradually shearing the edge of the plug.

I don't want to think about the slot inside the barrel being too close to the end of the slide, or sending the gun to Colt for repair at this point even tho they would obviously cover it. I would rather try a different blued bushing and plug.

Who makes a quality blued bushing that looks like normal?
Old March 30, 2010, 06:09 AM   #6
alloy

Old March 30, 2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
Who makes a quality blued bushing that looks like normal?
King's Gun Works
www.kingsgunworks.com
Old March 30, 2010, 01:57 PM   #8
1911rocks

Plug wear

I used to have large 1911 custom shop in the 80's. Your problem is not unique, though not normally spotted by the "average guy". One of the earlier posters stated half of it. #1 Bad bushing fit, #2 low recoil spring tension. I'd recommend

#1 A new fitted bushing, consider a new barrel as well, this would be a good time. I'd recommend Bar-sto. They will supply and fit the barrel as well. Their work is Superb!!
#2 Increase recoil spring to 18 - 20lbs (if a SD gun)
#3 Full length Guide Rod and Reverse plug.

Just my opinion
Old March 30, 2010, 03:35 PM   #9
Tom2

Cheapest route would probably be to get a replacement plug and go at it. I cannot see one costing very much, or having much to do with the function of the gun unless outrageously out of tolerance or something.
Old March 30, 2010, 03:47 PM   #10
alloy

Barrel measured .579, went to my local shop and the only one he had was a drop in Briley which oddly was listed as .580, for a .579 barrel.
The Colt bushing I took out, had an ID of .5845 First time I racked the slide I could tell the difference when the slide closed, Ca-chink like a new gun. After a range test....wow is all I got.

Still gonna find a good fitting conventional plain blue bushing but for 10 bux today, it was there, and I had to go with it. Scavenged a plug from one of my others till a new one comes in. Thanks for link Scorch.

Groups tightened up nicely. Bang bang. Thanks much!

Last edited by alloy; March 30, 2010 at 06:08 PM.