The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2015, 05:58 PM   #1
Drummer101

Gun "upgrade"

I am thinking about upgrading my current shotgun (Beretta 3901 12 ga 28")

This would be an "all around gun" but I enjoy sporting clays and skeet.

I am looking at the a400.

One thing (along with others) I am having trouble with is that I have to shoot left handed because of my eyes.

With my 3901 I get gas in the face every so often and I dont like how it tastes.

Here is what I have been able to decipher so far I think....

A400 Excel (blue): Right hand only but stock is adjustable to left handed, but the kick-off rubs against the cheek, able to do 7/8 oz load with ease.

A400 Xplor Unico (bronze): Left hand option, after a break in able to do the 7/8 oz loads, but the left hand version has the kick off that rubs the cheek.

A400 Xplor Action: Right hand only but stock can be made left handed, can do 7/8 oz loads after break in, but is the light weight version.

A400 Xtreme Unico (camo): Right hand only but stock can be made left handed and has the kick off behind the grip and after time able to do the 7/8 loads.

I do not have any hands on experience yet but I would hope to before I would buy.

In a perfect world I would like to have the kick off immediately behind the grip while being able to do the powder puff 7/8 and 3/4 loads. Is there a model which does this? Is my little summary correct?
Old January 5, 2015, 03:27 PM   #2
BigJimP

Since you need a left handed gun...I would not recommend any of the right hand options...

There are a limited number of left handed options on the market...especially in semi-auto's....but like you've found, Beretta has a couple ...and so does Benelli...and at least the Benelli is not gas - its inertia operated / and if you go with the synthetic stocks that have the comfort tech system in them - recoil is a little heavier than most gas guns but certainly not bad in my view ( I shoot a Benelli Super Sport model ...in both a 12ga and a 20ga...as travel guns / kind of do everything pretty well ) - and they're inertia guns with comfort tech in them.

Another option is to consider an Over Under...both Beretta and Browning make a few options for you ....( like the 725 series, Citori, has at least one left handed gun ).../ personally, all of my primary guns are Over Unders, and I like them as a good general purpose gun in the field, for sporting clays and trap and skeet.../ but they're more money....
Old January 5, 2015, 05:25 PM   #3
Drummer101

I used the SBE ll (with the comfort tech stock) left handed once and I thought it kicked like a mule compared to me 3901... Could have just been me that day with a bruised shoulder.

I thought about doing an O/U, but then I was thinking for the amount of money I am able to spend ($1,500 - $1,900ish), I could get a top of the line semi, or a middle of the road O/U (new or used).

I think I would rather save more down the road later in life and just buy a nice O/U that really fits.

Last edited by Drummer101; January 5, 2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old January 5, 2015, 06:20 PM   #4
TMD

I'm left handed, shoot left handed, and am left eye dominate. I also have a Beretta A400 eXcel with the factory kickoff that I purchased last year for my girlfriend. Out of the box the stock seemed to have a neutral cast and I don't have any problems shooting it. Never once noticed gas hitting my face.
Old January 5, 2015, 06:23 PM   #5
Drummer101

With the shims from beretta for the stock I am not so worried about left hand fit. A true left handed gun would be the preference but not a deal killer (Heck 99.5% of the time I am fine with my gun for gas in the face issues).
Old January 5, 2015, 06:58 PM   #6
BigJimP

If we're talking 12ga only.....a 1 oz load of 8's at 1225 fps ....is all I need to break any Trap or Sporting clays target...let alone for Skeet...for practice or in competition / so an Inertia gun shouldn't be that drastically different in terms of recoil for that load ....but "Fit" is a big part of it..!

If you go with an O/U ....for a gun that will last you a lifetime / I really like the Browning or the Beretta's...and $ 1,500 isn't going to buy you much of anything even used.../ and new you're closer to $3K - $ 4K --- depending on what you really need for Fit.

Personally I like a parallel comb gun ( like the older model of the Citori XS Skeet - in a 30" barrel - its about 8.5 lbs...) and its a great gun. The parallel comb will have enough adjustment for cast that you might get enough adjustment ...but most of them have the "palm swell" for right handed shooters..../ but I know there were a few around for "Lefties" even though it was never in the Browning catalog. But there should be something out there...if you shop some of the bigger shotgun online dealers ( look in Shotgun Sports magazine ) ..pick one up on a newsstand...they have a lot of dealers / used guns in there....
Old January 5, 2015, 07:05 PM   #7
Drummer101

I am going to be trying to get to the range this weekend (pending weather, 80% chance of rain).

On a side note I got invited to a charity shoot today but it is 100 clays (using their ammo which I think is rather odd), normally with my 3901 after about 50 I tend to get a bit sore, not sure I could keep it up for 100.
Old January 5, 2015, 08:34 PM   #8
Dreaming100Straight

Perhaps they want you to use their ammo since a lot of charity shooters show up with hunting loads. That or it is a means to raise more funds for the charity (or the club hosting the event).
Old January 6, 2015, 12:11 PM   #9
BigJimP

50 shells ...and a sore anything...is an indication you have some "fundamental problems" ...like lifting your head.../ or the gun may not fit you right...

Even 250 shells a day....for 4 or 5 days in a row ...in a tournament situation / can be mentally fatiguing...but it should not make your shoulder or face sore...!

You need to find a mentor locally - that can watch you shoot some targets / and help you out a little bit ...and see what is causing your issues. Don't invest in a different gun - until you get all this worked out.
Old January 6, 2015, 06:28 PM   #10
Drummer101

Called a place to arrange lessons. See what happens when they call back.
Old January 6, 2015, 06:46 PM   #11
Dreaming100Straight

Lessons can be expensive but are worth it in time and money saved on the wrong gun and unlearning the wrong habits.
Old January 6, 2015, 07:17 PM   #12
BigJimP

Good - I think that is smart..../....

..... but don't overlook the talent at your local club ..( not usually the most vocal guys ) but some of the better shooters that have really smooth swings....and ask if they can help you out / maybe watch you shoot a few targets / recommend a DVD or something for some tips...

There are a lot of good DVD's out there on fundamentals ...Todd Bender has some on Skeet ( and all of the Skeet fundamentals transfer to sporting clays )....Bobby Fowler, Jr and others on sporting clays...( and they all discuss Fit - a little bit )....
Old January 6, 2015, 08:48 PM   #13
FITASC

As a LH shooter, I own several A400s. I have the target version called the Xcel. It performs flawlessly and should not present any issues to a LH shooter. I actually prefer the RH guns like these as I can hold the gun in my left hand at the wrist, drop a shell in the chamber, hit the release with that same right hand and easily load a second round in the chamber.

If you are seriously focusing on the target, you will never see the empty ejecting. ALWAYS wear eye protection however, just in case.
Old January 8, 2015, 09:19 PM   #14
BlueSmoke14

Agreed.

I am a Left Handed shooter and I think the shell port on the right side is ideal whether shooting a pump or auto.

Immediate access ....great visibility.

Never must shift your left hand grip.