The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 29, 2013, 06:29 PM   #1
magnum777

What are Arnold Schwarzenegger views on gun control?

I am hearing about all the actions stars that are pro gun and the anti gun hypocrites, where does he stand.
Old March 29, 2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Gaerek

It's vague, but this should answer your question:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2495864.html

"Leave no stone unturned."

Seems to imply he thinks guns are bad. Funny, guns are part of the reason he became famous in the first place...
Old March 29, 2013, 06:49 PM   #3
shouldazagged

I really don't give a good brisk damn what his views are. Nor do I pay much attention to what other entertainers believe on all kinds of subjects. They have their opinions, I have mine, and I don't think the fact that they have eighty gazillion dollars each makes theirs any more valuable than mine. That includes Ted Nugent and included Heston. Those folks each get one vote, and so do I.
Old March 29, 2013, 07:48 PM   #4
FoghornLeghorn

I lived in california when he became governor. He campaigned on closing the gun show loophole, which was pretty funny seeing as how that "loophole" had already been closed.

He also signed the law banning the 50 BMG Barrett. I guess he wanted to make sure the gangbangers who were accustomed to carrying jennings and raven guns, couldn't get their hands on $6,000 rifles which fired bullets costing, what, $5 each? I guess south central LA had a problem with crips and bloods hiding a 30 pound rifle under their hoodies.

Arnie the RINO (as we called him) was no friend of gun owners.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Patriot86

I think he was worried that 50 cal rounds could damage the exo-skeleton of a T800 Terminator .

http://www.ontheissues.org/governor/...un_Control.htm

Quote:
I [support the second amendment, but I] also believe that there are responsibilities that gun owners must follow in owning a firearm. I support the Brady bill, I support the current assault weapons ban and I believe that guns must have safety devices or be stored as to prevent accidental discharge.
Arnold, 2003

Quote:
[The National Rifle Association] probably won’t like Schwarzenegger either. In The Terminator Schwarzenegger goes into a gun store and picks out a “12-gauge auto loader, a .45 long slide, a phase plasma rifle and an Uzi 9 mm.” (Then he kills the guy behind the counter.) But as Schwarzenegger began to think of himself as a potential political candidate, he became sensitive on the gun issue, telling one interviewer, “I’m for gun control. I’m a peace-loving guy.”
Old March 30, 2013, 02:48 AM   #6
Redhawk5.5+P+

No respect for a real man.

He smoked pot on his film/movie/documentary in the early 70's competition for Mr America. But yet nobody noted than when he ran for Governor for California.

I respect a guy that was already a millionaire before he ever got into movies. He's not perfect, as I am, but he's a self maid (Pun) men, and very intelligent at that.
Old March 30, 2013, 07:55 AM   #7
TLeo

"I really don't give a good brisk damn what his views are. Nor do I pay much attention to what other entertainers believe on all kinds of subjects. They have their opinions, I have mine, and I don't think the fact that they have eighty gazillion dollars each makes theirs any more valuable than mine. That includes Ted Nugent and included Heston. Those folks each get one vote, and so do I."

I agree with you but the unfortunate fact is, that many of the brain dead public worship these so called celebrities and accept everything they say as fact.That gives them a lot of power to influence the stupid sheep out there. Look how often these "inflated egos" parade themselves before Congress testifying as experts on some issue and folks just lap it up.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:29 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I agree with you but the unfortunate fact is, that many of the brain dead public worship these so called celebrities and accept everything they say as fact.That gives them a lot of power to influence the stupid sheep out there. Look how often these "inflated egos" parade themselves before Congress testifying as experts on some issue and folks just lap it up.
Careful, what you are stating is a reflexive statement, even if you don't realize it. Change the word "public" to be "gun owners" and you can see the same process going on. Gun owners are part of the public and they also have a goodly percentage of folks involved in celebrity worship and hanging on their words, be it a gun celebrity like Jeff Cooper or Clint Smith, or a media celebrity like Ted Nugent or Tom Selleck. You can find the gun people here sometimes deferring to potential life or death presituational decision-making by reasoning that "If it is good enough for _______ (e.g., Clint Smith), then it is good enough for me."

There is a lot to be said for celebrity worship's influence on decision-making of the general populace. Owning a gun and being pro 2A doesn't change this about anybody. There are plenty of pro 2A that are followers who will default to do what is said by pro-gun celebrities. If somebody is famous and a given person likes that famous person, then they are apt to respect them and what they say, especially when the famous person is perceived as being in an elevated position such as is afforded by celebritidom.

Did you notice that for a while, Sarah Palin could do no wrong in the eyes of many gun owners?

And yes, Arnold and the others are celebrities. You may not be a fan, but that does not change their status.

It should not matter what Arnold or Ted thinks or believes to the rest of us, after all, each is only one person with one vote, but it does matter.
Old March 30, 2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

I only pay attention to those who seem to know the facts and have studied the issues.

Some place on the celebrity fame hierarchy means nothing.
Old March 30, 2013, 09:41 AM   #10
g.willikers

Beware of all those who say "I support the Second Amendment, but......."
Old March 30, 2013, 10:40 AM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

I really don't care about entertainers.

However, many of the pro-2A actors have crossed the River Styx: Charleston Heston, Gary Cooper, Robert Stack. I'd like to see Tom Selleck buoyed back into a spotlight.
Old March 30, 2013, 11:23 AM   #12
danez71

Quote:
He smoked pot on his film/movie/documentary in the early 70's competition for Mr America. But yet nobody noted than when he ran for Governor for California.
It was brought up. But not very many people cared and it never got traction.

Oh.. I almost forgot to answer the OP..... he's anti guns.
Old March 30, 2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Evan Thomas

OK, the question's been answered, and (with the notable exception of Double Naught Spy's post), we're descending into repetition and rambling. And we're not People Magazine...