The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 14, 2013, 01:11 PM   #1
munky

Weird WASR issue

Hey folks, could you provide some help?

I was out with some friends shooting yesterday and lent them my WASR to put some rounds downrange. After they put a good number of rounds through it (the sucker gets hot!), they tried to put it on SAFE but the selector wouldn't fully engage. To fix it, I had to clear the mag, rack the action (which ejected the round with no problems) and all was well. I could even reinsert, load, fire a round or two, and put it on safe at that point. This happened maybe 2 or 3 times.

Has anyone heard of this before? What should I be looking for?

TIA!
Old August 14, 2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The AK safety acts by putting a steel lug on top of the right side of the trigger.

If the trigger failed to return all the way forward, the safety wouldn't be able to be applied.

A possibility is some fouling or debris fell into the trigger assembly. When you cleared the rifle, whatever it is fell out or moved.
Clean your rifle's trigger assembly and check for debris.

Also, make sure the "legs" of the hammer spring are properly resting on top of the rear of the trigger.
The twisted wire hammer spring has hooks on the ends that hook over the raised edges of the trigger at the rear.
If one side of the spring is bent, broken, or slipped off, it may prevent trigger reset or block the safety.
Old August 14, 2013, 08:20 PM   #3
AK103K

Ive had issues with three different AK's and the cheap US made "compliance" trigger parts that were installed in them. Parts breakage was the issue with two of them, trigger slap the other.

I would take a close look at the trigger group and see that something isnt broken, or damaged. A good flushing with something like Gun Scrubber would be a good start. Maybe it is just something as simple as crud (you do clean you rifle, right? ) in the receiver and trigger group.

If you find there is something broken, Red Star Arms makes a very nice replacement trigger that, next to the original parts that were removed (the ones replaced with compliance parts), is one of the better replacement triggers Ive used. They are a tad salty, but they work as advertised.

Ive also tried the Tapco G2 (in my WASR), but had problems with it not working properly, and have since removed it. In this case, those crappy compliance parts actually work better, and are a nicer trigger.
Old August 15, 2013, 08:33 AM   #4
munky

Hey thanks for the replies. You all got me thinking - I did do an intensive clean the last time I took the gun out and I probably messed up the shepherd's hook. Would that do it? I'll disassemble it after work and see.

I was trying to put a Krebs in there but realized after I bought it that it doesn't work with WASRs. Is there one people would recommend that fits WASRs?

TIA, again
Old August 15, 2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

I don't see how the trigger and hammer pin wire could cause this problem, but it's at least possible if the wire was installed wrong.

The more or less "standard" trigger unit for AK's is the excellent Tapco G2.
This is available as a single or double hook, depending on your receiver.
There's no advantage to either a single or double hook, so just buy the one that matches the receiver cuts in the trigger hole in the bottom of the receiver.
Old August 20, 2013, 08:41 AM   #6
munky

Just popping in to say that you guys were spot on. I'll probably replace the trigger soon. Thanks