The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 23, 2012, 12:12 AM   #1
jimmythegeek

How do YOU validate an HD rig?

I have some self-defense loads ordered, and some hi-cap mags to go with, and it seems prudent to test them all together. The question is, at what point do you consider you can count on it all? I am not in a position to run thousands of rounds through the weapon just to test. Over time, sure. I expect to practice with target ammo mostly, but keep working the mags. And every once in a while, prove that the more expensive defense loads are still working.
Old January 23, 2012, 12:32 AM   #2
LockedBreech

My own standard of reliability. Take from it what you will.

200 rounds of FMJ and one box of my SD round of choice. All fired at a high speed with a firm grip. No cleaning in between unless it's a tiny gun like the LCP.

If it does that, I clean the gun, load the SD round, and call it good.
Old January 23, 2012, 01:51 AM   #3
230therapy

It depends upon the gun. 1911's typically need some TLC and testing. I always run 200-300 rounds of FMJ through my 1911's before testing them with expensive JHP.

I have found over the course of 10+ Glocks that they generally do not need very much testing. I'll put 100 rounds through a Glock (mostly for fun) and and then fire a mixture of JHP and FMJ through each magazine. About a decade ago, I saw one Glock jam on every other shot. There was a burr in the chamber (I could see a line on the brass). We shot the gun until it wore away and it was fine after that.

I treat SIGs the same as a Glock since I've had so many of them. If it jams, it's likely broken and needs a trip back to SIG.

Browning Hi-Power MK IIIs receive the same testing as my Glock pistols.

I've experienced lots of trouble with Kahr pistols, so they get the 200-300 round break-in followed up with 100 rounds of JHP. If it jams too much, it gets sent back to the factory. I redo the test and it gets dumped if it fails again.

I try to do at least 50 rounds through any new revolver. I send it back to the factory if it jams, spits, binds or fails to fire. I then run a cylinder or two of JHP through it for familiarization. If the flash is huge and the recoil is stout, I'll keep going because it's a hoot. Otherwise, I'll go back to practice ammo.

Last edited by 230therapy; January 23, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old January 29, 2012, 09:03 PM   #4
bigghoss

Just to be safe I prefer to run 500 rounds through a new gun or a gun that has had work done/parts replaced to "prove" it. I more or less pulled this number out of thin air without very much research but it seems to meet or exceed everything I've come across from professional recommendation to manufacturers suggested break-in. After that 100 or if I can swing it 200 rounds of carry ammo in the mags I'll be using. Obviously more is better. The larger your sample size the more accurate the results so 100% reliability through 500 rounds is going to mean more than 100% through 100 rounds.
Old January 29, 2012, 09:40 PM   #5
FrederickDav

I load up a couple mags with a random mix of ammo. Some target, some self defense just mixed and loaded. Shoot both mags rapid fire . No problems- good to go. Of course, I burn a few of the pricey rounds every now and then at the range. I have had no problems with my Sig or Colt.