The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 6, 2010, 10:30 AM   #1
kx592

Moss 500 shell falling

Shooting informally this weekend at my buddies farm we only had my 500, bone stock nothing added but a recoil pad on the stock. I have had zero issues functioning the gun but I have had my father and my friend have a new shell drop while functioning the gun. I do no understand how it happens. I watch and they do it same way as me, speed i do not believe is much different, its not tipped or anything, and every once in awhile they will have a shell drop and not be loaded into the chamber. Anyone have a similar experience?
Old October 6, 2010, 03:48 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The gun is so basic in operation that it is either a worn part like the shell lifter. Or it is "short shucking" operator error... Really nothing else to be in play. If it sounds sort of like "clack"... "clack" it is short shucked... sound needs be similar to "clakclak"...
Look at the ends of the shell lifter nearest the hinging pins... if they rounded off (more wear than I ever seen) it could feasibly fail to lift the shell high enough.

Let us know what you find.
Brent
Old October 6, 2010, 04:20 PM   #3
kx592

Thanks for the reply, the gun has max-300 shells through it, im not even going to look at extractor to be honest, whats short chucking exactly?
Old October 6, 2010, 04:54 PM   #4
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

I have a Mossberg M-535 (500 with a 3.5" chamber) - it will also drop a live cartridge - from any position if it is short stroked. There isn't much difference between full and short with these guns - maybe less than an inch. The cartridge stop works everytime for me - for my buddy - he drops at least one from each mag load - he short strokes.
Old October 6, 2010, 05:15 PM   #5
idek

Short-shucking means not pulling the slide all the way back when pumping. It's possible to eject a shell without a full slide motion, but the next shell in line may not be picked up correctly.

I've noticed this sometimes when I've been out hunting and am emptying my gun when done. Just for fun, I like to see how fast I can pump the shells out. When I rush the motion, I'll often "short-shuck".

If this happens to people while shooting, they may need to be more conscious of pulling the slide all the way back. Another idea that may help is to put the lead hand further forward on the forend. In doing so, the shooter may feel less cramped when pulling the slide back (though personally, I think many pumps force me to put my lead hand further forward than I want to anyway).

Because the 535 has 3.5" capability and therefore a longer slide motion, a person may be more likely to short-shuck with that gun than a 500.

Last edited by idek; October 6, 2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old October 6, 2010, 05:20 PM   #6
zippy13

Short shucking* = short stroking the slide, just as 32 Magnum and idek described.
*It's shucking, with an S, like you do to corn -- not chucking, with a C, like your do with a drill bit.