The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2000, 09:57 AM   #1
rblack

Has anyone here used the Lee Perfect Powder Measure, and what do you think of it. Thanks Rod Black
Old January 15, 2000, 12:25 PM   #2
ML

I have used the Lee Perfect Powder Measure with good results considering the cost of the unit. I use the adjust and then weigh method of setting a charge weight, Not the formula thats in the instructions. I have also found that in order to get consistent and repeatable charge weights you must be consistent in your operation of the unit. What I mean by this is always use the same force and technique on every charge when reloading a batch of ammo. I always visually check the powder level in the case and weigh every fifth charge when doing a batch of reloads. On some powders I weigh every charge ( H110 ) just to make sure.

Good Luck
Old January 15, 2000, 08:06 PM   #3
Hal

Been using one for a few months. My experience is exactly the same as ML has had. I wouldn't trust it for loads close to max. For a bunch of mild .38's it is just the ticket though.
Old January 15, 2000, 09:58 PM   #4
jtduncan

rblack:

I've spent several months reloading on mine. For $20 it's hard to beat if you're just starting. It tends to leak powder from the dumping cylinder but so what! Lee makes great carbide and factory crimp dies too!

Maybe I'll get a better powder measure in the future but for now, it works very accurately for me. As they've said, after a while you throw the same way naturally.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

Old January 16, 2000, 12:37 AM   #5
pbash

I've found the Lee powder measure to be very accurate with Varget. However, its *terrible* with any flake or ball powder. As long as you stick to extruded powder, its a hell of a deal.
Old January 18, 2000, 05:50 PM   #6
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

A Perfect measure came with my Lee kit. It's OK, but calibrating for Bullseye is a PITA; I can't get the numbers to match (throwing a known volume, then dividing by weight). I measure my charges individually.

Looking for a good (better) measure as I type.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson
Old January 19, 2000, 12:05 PM   #7
Bill Hebert

I use mine for loading everything. I also use the set and weigh method to set the proper charge. I turn the crank to fill the powder into the charge space and then I slightly tap the powder measure. I then turn the crank to dispense the powder into the case and then again tap the measure to assure all the powder is in the case. It sounds harder than it is but I get consistent and accurate powder charges with all types of powder.
Old January 19, 2000, 04:14 PM   #8
Contender

I was really disappointed with this measure as I really liked the graduated charge stem and simple operation and removable hopper. However, I had nothing but problems with powder leakage or binding of the drum.I returned the unit soon after. If made from better materials, I think LEE would have a real winner here.
Old January 19, 2000, 05:38 PM   #9
Peter M. Eick

I used mine for about 5 years and just plain wore it out with stick powder and ball powder. The plastic developed grooves in it and started leaking. Lee offered to rebuild it for 1/2 price, but I felt I had plenty of use out of it and decided to buy an RCBS metal one. I like it better then the lee, but the lee served me well for years.
Old January 19, 2000, 06:14 PM   #10
rblack

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I ordered one from Midway and have not got it yet. I just want it to bolt to the bench to use with a Lyman T-Mag press for calibers other than 45acp. I have a Hornady progressor set up for 45acp with a Hornady auto drop powder measure that works real nice. I just didn't want to have to take the Hornady apart everytime I loaded another caliber. Thanks again for all the good input. Rod Black
Old January 19, 2000, 10:50 PM   #11
danm

To those of you that have the subject Lee
powder measure - another question.

I have never seen one in person. But I get
confused by the ads in the catalogs. As
purchased, will this powder measure drop
everything from 3 grains (.38 wadcutter)
to 50 grains (.308)? Or are attachments
or accessories needed to make the powder
measure span such a range?

Thanks, Danm
Old January 20, 2000, 10:49 AM   #12
Bill Hebert

No attachments needed- just unscrew the adjustment knob making the cavity the powder fills larger. I loaded 30-06 last night with about a 50 grain charge, and also loaded 38 specials at 5 grains. I'll only need a new measurer when I wear this one out or start reloading 50 cals...