The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Dustin0

What size bullet for a 357 Sig

I am thinking about reloading for 357 Sig. What size bullet do it need. If some can post a recipe using red dot would be great. I have pounds of it for the shotguns and 45 ACP. Like to it simple and not have to add another powder.
Old August 5, 2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Been searching for components for the sig myself.

It was introduced at .355(9mm)

It is apparently (so I've read) somewhat more accurate with .356 but good luck finding that size.

125(or124)gr is the "standard" weight.

Handloads.com shows a starting load of 5.4gr Red Dot, 6.0max with 124gr FMJ @ 37,200 psi

WARNING!: I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH THIS OR FRANKLY ANY OTHER LOAD! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Old August 5, 2009, 05:45 PM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Dustin, sometimes you just have to add another powder to achieve desireable results. Some powders are not meant to be used in some calibers. In this case, there are loads where red dot is used. With this being a round that operates at a higher pressure, I would be extremely careful and do a lot of homework before I loaded a single round. It worries me that you don't even know what size bullet the round shoots. No offense to the peetzakilla ( and you qualified your statements well, btw), but I would not get load data from a stranger...or I would AT THE VERY LEAST confirm it. I would start at the powder manufacturers websites and good reloading manuals. I know for a fact that Modern Reloading by Richard Lee has loads for the 357 sig using red dot. You may want to invest in this manual....it is a great one! Good luck, and be careful!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old August 5, 2009, 06:28 PM   #4
FlyFish

Remember that bullet shape is very important in the .357 SIG. Because of the short neck, when seated to the correct depth for proper functioning many bullets intended for the 9mm actually have the beginning of the ogive inside the case mouth, which is not what you want. Be sure to get bullets intended for the .357, which will have a shorter ogive (more of a truncated cone configuration) and therefore a longer bearing surface.
Old August 5, 2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Be sure to get bullets intended for the .357, which will have a shorter ogive (more of a truncated cone configuration) and therefore a longer bearing surface.
See, now, every time I think I've got this figured out somebody confuses me again....

You say "...bullets intended for the 357..." but, so far as I can tell, those are all .357 and I can find only extremely limited load data for 357 bullets.

Almost all loads are listed at 355. Hodgdon lists loads for bullets as small as the 355 90gr Hornady XTP, which is clearly a very short bullet.

Most other sources list nothing smaller than 115gr.

AARGH!
Old August 5, 2009, 08:10 PM   #6
FlyFish

Sorry, because we were talking about .357 SIG I just abbreviated it. No, I'm not saying you want bullets intended for the .357 Magnum - that's a different beast altogether and uses slightly larger diameter bullets (typically .357 in jacketed, .358 in lead). You want .355, the same diameter as the 9mm - I'm just saying to be careful about the shape because not all .355 bullets are suitable for the .357 SIG.

Last edited by FlyFish; August 5, 2009 at 08:16 PM.