The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 15, 2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Revolver 2020

Modifying reach for large frame revolver?

A while back I inherited my dad's old Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag. I love this revolver. It's the first gun I ever shot, the first firearm I ever hunted with, my dad carried it during his career as a private investigator, and I carried it when I tried my hand at that profession for 10 years. For nostalgia and family history, it is my absolute most favorite firearm. The only problem is that it's really too big for me. My dad had very large hands and the frame on the super black hawk fit him well. Unfortunately, I did not inherit that trait from him and my hands are much smaller. I have to shift my grip to cock the hammer after every shot and then shift back to pull the trigger. (SA, you know) I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to modify or shorten the reach with an aftermarket grip or specialty hammer or something. I really do not want to trade up for something that fits my hands better off the line because of how special this gun is to me. Any ideas?
Old August 15, 2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Wyosmith

My hands are not large. Medium gloves are fine and I can squeeze into small gloves if I want them to fit like paint.

I have had a S.B.H. since 1973 and I never found the grip to be too large. I am on it's 2nd barrel. I have shot it that much.
I alwasy thought the grips on most plow-handle SA revolvers was made for small to medium hands.

So ya got me on this one.........
No help here
Old August 15, 2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Doyle

Quote:
I have to shift my grip to cock the hammer after every shot and then shift back to pull the trigger.
If you are shifting your grip so that you can use the thumb on your "grip hand" then you are doing it wrong. Cock it with your "off" hand. That way, your grip hand remains in the same position at all times.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Bob Wright

Is this a New Model or a Three Screw Super Blackhawk? Either way, the grip frame from a New Model Flat Top .44 Special or .357 Magnum can be fitted. These guns have grip frames that more closely follow the original grip frame on pre-63 Rugers and approximate that of the Colt Single Action.

Fitting to a New Model is no big trick, but a Three Screw requires a trigger that can be obtained form Dave Clement to adapt a New Model grip frame to a Three Screw gun. Of course, new grips will be required as well.

Bob Wright
Old August 15, 2014, 10:42 PM   #5
g.willikers

There's quite a few alternate hammers available with different shapes and length spurs.
There should be at least one that would help.
Just do a web search on the subject.
Old August 16, 2014, 10:51 AM   #6
KyJim

I don't own a revolver of this type but if you truly want something smaller, I would start by looking at different stocks/grips. Perhaps someone with actual experience will post.
Old August 18, 2014, 08:33 AM   #7
Revolver 2020

Thanks for all the advice. I don't know offhand if it's a "newer" SBH or a "3 screw". I'm not super knowledgeable on the topic and I'm currently out of town so I can't check. All I know is my dad bought it in 1969 and I believe it was made the same year. Yes, I usually cock the hammer with my off hand, but I wanted to demonstrate the trouble with reach I'm having. I'm looking into several of the suggestions. Thanks again.
Old August 18, 2014, 08:58 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Custom made smaller grips.

Heat and bend the hammer spur down.
Old August 18, 2014, 09:11 AM   #9
Real Gun

How much finger engagement do you use on the trigger? Finger tip should be enough.

You could sand down the grip on the trigger finger side. As long as the backstrap is already exposed, there isn't much else you can do. If you are straining to reach the hammer with your off hand, you could sand down both sides, maybe needing a new, shorter screw.

Tags
aftermarket , frame , mod , reach , size