The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 28, 2012, 09:28 AM   #1
TITAN308

HAZMAT Fee Oddity?

Oddly enough, this is not really a "reloading" related topic;

So we know that a HAZMAT Fee of $29.99 on average applies to both primers and gunpowder shipments.

However, the market is now full of exploding targets - these can ship without restriction or extra fees. This is generally a jar with two components that can be mixed to cause them to explode when impacted.

What is ammo? Two components (primer + gunpowder) that are mixed (combined) together that explode when impacted?

Ammo supplies = fee, explosives = OK?

Anyone clarify to me what appears to completely bass ackwards?
Old June 28, 2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The target part is not odd at all. Both gun powder and primers are hazardous items a by themselves.

"Exploding targets" are binary explosives. The components are completely inert until mixed. They are shipped unmixed and are not hazardous in the least.

The loaded ammo thing, yeah, I'm with you on that. It's odd.
Old June 28, 2012, 10:23 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

Not to worry someone will notice and the hazmat fee will be added. It's just another way to get extra fee's and charges added on.
Old June 28, 2012, 11:34 AM   #4
ScottRiqui

Quote:
The loaded ammo thing, yeah, I'm with you on that. It's odd.
The only thing I can think of is that loaded ammunition might be less susceptible to accidental discharge via rough handling than a package of primers, especially if there was once a time when primers weren't packaged so securely, with each primer in its own little "cell".
Old June 28, 2012, 11:55 AM   #5
sigcurious

I would venture a guess that loaded ammo is excluded because lowered chance and severity of incident due to partitioning of the materials in question. The risk of a chain reaction, explosion or large fire is largely decreased by the partitioning.

Similar to the tannerite, sure the container could be smashed and some amount might be mixed in the requisite proportions then subjected to the requisite conditions for deflagration. But I would imagine that's as likely has one cartridge going off in a box of cartridges setting off the whole box. Even in that unlikely scenario the danger beyond fire danger seems relatively low. Sure, I wouldn't want to be standing next to a box of cartridges going off as small bits of brass being projected at me sounds unpleasant, but it's not going to explode or rapidly conflagrate as a container of powder or primers might.
Old June 28, 2012, 10:24 PM   #6
impalacustom

Take a match to it and if it burns, it's got a hazmat fee, that's a good rule of thumb.
Old June 30, 2012, 02:56 PM   #7
zippy13

Quote:
Take a match to it and if it burns, it's got a hazmat fee, that's a good rule of thumb.
Doesn't most paper packaging meet your burning criteria?