The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 11, 1999, 06:35 PM   #1
davesfc

My Dad gave me a Winchester Model 52. It's got a heavy barrel, and 'peep' sights. The stock does not appear orginal. The blueing is in 97%+ and the stock is also 97%.

The serial number on this gun is 31xxx I was wondering if anyone knew what year this gun might have been made. Also, any idea what the value might be? Of course it's a gun I would never sell, just a ball park price would be nice to have.

Thanks!
David
Old October 12, 1999, 03:54 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

DAVESFC
There are several models of the heavy bbl 52, it you could describe the stock I might be able to loacte the information you want.

If it is a standard 52 value is aroud $500.00
If it is a Free Style Target $1,500.00 only 300 mfg'd
HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited October 12, 1999).]
Old October 13, 1999, 05:52 PM   #3
davesfc

Hi Harley,

Thanks for your response. The stock seems
to be 'after market'. I make this comment,
due to the face that there is a diamond shaped black inlay on the underside of the forearm. Also, back at the bolt there is a
1/4 to 1/2" area that looks like glass bedding, as if the stock did not fit perfectly. More than the value, since it's a gift from my Dad, It'll never be for sale, I was wondering when this gun might have been made. I know my Dad has had it for at least 20 years.

Thanks,

David

P.S. Tom Gresham was kind enough to give me the information about you and this forum on his weekly Gun Talk radio program this past Sunday. Keep up the good work!!
Old October 13, 1999, 06:25 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

DAVESFC:
My records indicate that your model 52 was mfg'd between 1924-1925. The model was discontinued in 1978. A small clean up of production was completed in 1979 with 125419 copies made

HJN