The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 1, 2005, 08:09 PM   #1
Red Whiskey

Spanish Carbine Headspace???

I've got an opportunity to buy a spanish destroyer for $225. I'm told that it has excessive headspacing. Is there someway to correct this or should I just walk away from it???
Thanks,
Mike
Old May 1, 2005, 10:10 PM   #2
Harlie

Ammo

For the Destroyer is 9MM Largo. Which is different than 9MM Luger. Believe case is similar to 9X23 in length. Some may have tried to use standard 9MM and had issues. Son has one and has a ball with it. Seems a little pricey to me, son paid around a $100 for his about 4 years ago.
Old May 2, 2005, 01:14 AM   #3
mtnboomer

Yes, the Destroyer uses the 9mm Largo round which is LOWER PRESSURE than the 9mm Para. If using 9mm Para caused the problem - walk away!

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old May 2, 2005, 06:53 PM   #4
bergie

Could be that the person selling it doesn't know what round it is chambered for. If 9mm Largo is longer than 9x19 (Luger, Parabellum) and the headspace was checked for the 9x19, then of course it will be "excessive", even though there may be nothing wrong with it. Find out if it was checked properly if possible. If it wasn't, or if he doesn't know, offer the guy $50 for it as a wallhanger then call around to find a real smith who can check it.
I bought my FR-8 like that, the dealer said it was a nonshooter-display only. Asked him why, he said the headspace was bad "checked it myself". I don't know what gauges he used, but there sure weren't the right ones. I took it to a smith and he said it was the nicest one he had ever seen and it headspace checked fine.

bergie
Old May 2, 2005, 07:35 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Destroyer is a bolt action, and the round is fairly low pressure. I agree with the above about an error in checking headspace. Even given the softness of most Spanish guns, I doubt that little gun developed headspace problems with the low pressure 9mm Largo. Even if the headspace is excessive, it should be possible to build up the bolt/receiver with a bit of weld.

Frankly, I don't think the guns are worth that kind of money, and I would not pay half that, but that is not my decision. When they were first imported, no one wanted them at $10, and they haven't gotten any better.

Jim
Old May 2, 2005, 07:57 PM   #6
Red Whiskey

Thanks for all the replies,
I'm pretty sure the guy is correct about the headspace issue. He said that he has to hand load rounds for it in order to shoot it. He said he uses brass that is .010" longer than Largo brass for loading. -Sounds legit. Just wondering if maybe I could install a bushing itside the chamber. Or do yall think it might be a bolt face issue?
Thanks,
Mike
Old May 5, 2005, 04:07 AM   #7
mtnboomer

I just read that Hornady is loading the 9mm Steyr round. The Largo and Steyr cartridges are physically and ballistically identical.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old May 6, 2005, 11:21 AM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, mtnboomer,

Not really. In practice the Steyr round can be used in a 9 Largo pistol, but not usually vice versa. The 9mm Steyr is smaller at the head and has less taper than the 9mm Largo (9mm Bergman-Bayard). It is also usually loaded with lighter bullet at higher velocity than the Largo.

Jim