The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 22, 2005, 12:20 PM   #1
grizz007

trigger work

Just jumped on board and gave first call here-hello! To make story short I live here in bush Alaska and to send a firearm out takes quite abit of time. I ordered a timney trigger for my Model 70 as the original when I bought was pretty roughed up-figured I would learn how later to hone trigger and sear with proper tools and stones-not free hand. Anyways I fitted the Timney into the action and noticed that the bolt stop retainin pin obviously was to long - I shortened it to fit - Marvelous trigger pull now. Noticed when stock was installed the safety did not move at all. What tool is needed to actually clean up or file the safety engagement surface inside the bolt? I noticed the surface is rounded-what is used a dremel with alot of care for sure. What can I expect to finish up the job?
Old April 22, 2005, 01:37 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

question

What kind of safety does the Timney trigger have? Are you using the bolt shroud mounted safety? From your question, I was led to believe you were trying to remove wood from the side of the trigger to allow the Remington 700 style of safety to move back and forth, but you did ask about the safety surfaces inside the bolt. Can you clear this up for me?
Old April 22, 2005, 04:12 PM   #3
grizz007

yes I will clear this up. Meant to say the cocking piece or firin pin. I measure before I DID anything the cocked position of the firing pin to shroud and that was approx..208-.212" and when new trigger was installed that measurement became .185"--so filiin some of that safety cam area looks easy enough but I am concerned about the angle of filing. Decided to stop there and get a smith to do the remainin job before I screw up a good thing. Done a Ruger sometimeback and that was simply put and easy job but this is more complexed if you will. The safety is a 3pos type built into the shroud.
Old April 22, 2005, 11:10 PM   #4
cntryboy1289

you did right

Better to let your smith finish it like you said.