The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 20, 2005, 12:05 PM   #1
PKAY

Swapping Out Python Barrel

I am considering having a barrel change completed for a Python. It currently sports a 6" bbl, and I'm swapping that for a 4" bbl. Looking to buy the 4" bbl on the Numrich site, it is available. However, the product info states "New Threads". Naturally curious as to the meaning of those two rather innocuous words, I called Customer Support to get the skinny. I was told that they referred to the new model Python with "the two pins" rather than the old model with "just one pin" and that the threads are indeed different. The new threaded barrel won't fit on an old Python frame and vice versa. Huh? I haven't a clue what is being referred to as "pins" and neither did the nice young lady putting me on hold to inquire of some ostensibly knowledgeable person at Gun Parts Corp. on the inside somewhere. A brief look at the schematic showed pins but for securing the front sight. Not sure how that would even remotely affect bbl threading variations.

My Python is serial numbered, T390XX. Does this qualify as "old" or "new"?

Any help from you folks would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 20, 2005, 12:39 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The publically available serial number info ends with 1985.
T390XX was made after 1985, so for an exact date, you'll have to call Colt.
They'll give you a date over the phone.

However, the last serial info from 1985 was T34453, so your's is definately an OLD model gun, and will need an older barrel.

Whoever you talked to got things backward.
The OLD model barrels had TWO pins in the front sight.
The NEW models have ONE pin in the sight.

Apparently, at the same time Colt changed to the new threads, they also changed the front sight retention to a single pin versus the older double pin.
I assume, the pin change was done to save production costs, AND to serve as a quick visual indication that the gun has the new threads.

Old model Colt barrels used .5634-32 threads.
New models use.562-36 threads.

I STRONGLY recommend having your barrel change done by a REALLY Colt qualified pistolsmith.
On reason for the Python's superior accuracy is the care and techniques used when fitting barrels, and many 'smith's don't have the RIGHT tooling or knowledge.

A quick way to ruin a good Python is to allow a non-Colt qualified 'smith to do a change without having the Colt SPECIFIC tooling needed to do it "right".

If in ANY doubt, I recommend the Colt factory, or Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters in Pittsburgh.
Both know how to do it right, AND have the tooling.

In all likelyhood, you're going to have trouble finding a NEW old thread Python barrel.
Besides Gun Parts, you can also check with Jack First Gun Parts. He's who pro's often go to first.

If you have to buy a USED barrel, BE WARY.
Often used barrels are removed because they were damaged or defective, OR they were damaged during removal by unqualified people.

Damage that can make a barrel inaccurate, or even unusable often doesn't become apparent until you try to install it.

Things to look out for:
Marks, dents, scratches, or scrapes outside indicating the use of improper tooling to remove it.
Damaged rifling.
Damaged muzzle.
Rings, bulges, pitting, or signs of corrosion.
Scratched or worn bore, or signs of improper cleaning techniques or tools that scratch or damage the bore. The bore SHOULD be mirror-bright.
Damaged threads.
Damaged or OVERSIZED forcing cone. An oversized, mis-cut cone can only be detected with a precision forcing cone plug gauge
Evidence of improper trimming of the rear of the barrel.
Cracked forcing cone.
Bent barrel (I've seen it).
Or anything else that doesn't look "right".
Old April 20, 2005, 12:52 PM   #3
PKAY

Wheel - I profoundly thank you for your response. Looks like I even got the 2 pins vs. 1 pin turned around as to "old" and "new" application. Your recommendation will be heeded.

Thanks again.
Old April 27, 2005, 04:24 PM   #4
PKAY

Last time I had Colt do any work for me was back in 2001 and I had to ship the gun and a letter letting them know my desires to the CMCI in West Hartford, CT. Since it's now 2005, does anybody have an email addy for them or a phone number? Sheesh! How come they don't have a web site for their commercial business (at least I wasn't able to Google one) in this day and age?
Old April 27, 2005, 05:57 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

They've changed their web site to:
http://www.coltsmfg.com

The site has full details about shipping, etc.
Old April 27, 2005, 06:05 PM   #6
PKAY

Thanks for the post. Much appreciated.
Old April 28, 2005, 08:39 PM   #7
Dave Sample

Have the factory do it for you. Good Luck.