The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 10, 2005, 09:58 PM   #26
Doug.38PR

I thought

But I thought the OP could handle .38-44 What could be hotter than that? That's even hotter than .38+P (.357 of course but those are too long to fit in a .38 special gun)
Old February 11, 2005, 01:31 AM   #27
Dfariswheel

There are law enforcement-only Plus P Plus (+P+) .38 Special hot loads that are basically mini-Magnum level loads intended for use ONLY in .357 Magnum guns.

And then there's "Billy Bob's Special reloads" that will overstress a S&W N-frame .357 Magnum.
They of course will shoot them in a Detective Special or an Official Police.

People just insist on over-loading the .38, OR picking up the wrong can of powder.

On one of the forums is a really awful set of pictures of a Colt Anaconda with an scope sight that's just blown to bits.

The cylinder was blown in half, the frame is BADLY distorted and bulged.

The owner apparently did pick up the wrong can of powder.

Over the years I've seen a little bit of everything, and what I've come to expect is that people will NOT be careful, and sensible.

If they have a .38 they'll try to turn it into a HOT .357 Magnum.

If they're reloading, it's way to much to expect them to pay attention, and not dump a case full of Bullseye.

In EVERY case, "It's the guns fault, it shouldn't have done that".
Old February 15, 2005, 02:37 PM   #28
Doug.38PR

A perfect example of why

A perfect example of why I would NEVER reload my own ammunition cartridges. A lot of people like to clean up at the range line and sweep up the discarded empty catridges. I wouldn't trust myself in reloading those things. I depend only on what I can buy in the store in a box from someone who knows what the heck they are doing.

I would be very interested in knowing how I could get my hands on a box of .38-44s. Probably never use them at the range much but, being armor piercing, they would make a handy defense round.
Old February 15, 2005, 08:09 PM   #29
Dfariswheel

Sorry, most 38-44's were NOT armor piercing.
Most of it was loaded with lead bullets.

I'm not sure when most companies stopped making the 38-44, but by now the ammo will be aging.
I'm not sure I'd want to trust most of it.

Reloading your own ammo is entirely safe, as long as you keep your mind on "business".

Where people get into trouble is in just flat not paying attention.

Reloading is MUCH safer than driving a car or operating a power saw.
It's when you you start getting careless is when you make mistakes.

In many thousands of miles and who knows how many thousands of rounds reloaded, I've never had a car accident, and never had a problem with a reload.
Old February 15, 2005, 10:27 PM   #30
Doug.38PR

Quote:
Sorry, most 38-44's were NOT armor piercing.
Hmmm....I've heard that there are parties out there that do manufacture .38-44 in FMJ but that they cost a pretty penny.

Also, I thought even the old lead round nose types were considered armor piercing in that their purpose was to penetrate steel in cars (same purpose in why they made the .357 back in 1935)

Doug
Old March 1, 2005, 04:31 PM   #31
Doug.38PR

Gun Fixed

I just called Pittsburg Handgun and they told me that my gun (the 1944 OP)was ready fixed and adjusted to factory specifications and told me if I take care and don't abuse it that it should last me another 50 years

I look forward to getting it the mail this weekend and after what I've been told about the sturdiness of the OP, I feel like buying a fresh box of .38+P rounds and taking them down to the range with it Saturday.

Gonna send them my 1961 OP next to see about fixing it.

BTW, does anyone think that a S&W Model 10 from the 1970s and 80s would be able to handle .38+P?

Thank you to D Fariswheel and Jim Keenan for all the help and tips given on this subject

Doug
Old March 1, 2005, 06:50 PM   #32
Dfariswheel

For the "official" word on +P in 80's S&W's, I'd email S&W.
Old March 6, 2005, 04:34 PM   #33
Doug.38PR

I E mailed S&W about +P rounds and they told me their official position is that in theory any .38+P is can be handled by any K frame revolver made after 1956 but the representative told me that they wouldn't feed a steady diet in some of the older guns.

I got my OP from 1944 back from Pittsburg this weekend. Fired it yesterday and it worked beautifully

NO problems at all at the range and very accurate now too now that it's not hanging or dragging or anything. I officially made it my primary defense gun over my other OP and Springfield 1911. (the other OP is going out on UPS to Pittsburg to have it's problems addressed next week)

Doug
Old April 29, 2005, 10:11 AM   #34
Doug.38PR

Gotum

I just got the second OP back this past weekend (1961 version). I took it to the range and put 50 rounds .38 special and about 20 rounds .38+P and it works beautifully. Apparently, it was not that the recoil plate was fractured but that someone had filed it down to the point where it was sinking into the gun. Pittsburg looked it over and found no signs of stress on the frame.

I now have both guns back and they make great shooters and great CHL pieces. Their actions feel as smooth as Pythons (can't get better than that) I've fired .38+P in both guns (including the 1944) and half expected them to blow up or fall apart but quickly got used to it after about 6 rounds. THe guns hold up great under .38+P.

Thank you for all information you provided. At some point I need to get the Handgun guide you recommended. (However Pittsburg strongly suggested that I NOT dissassemble the gun or even take the panal off the side for any reason, that any tampering with the inside of the gun from just removing and cleaning parts could alter the gun's inner workings. They suggested I leave it alone and keep it clean on the outside dropping oil in the inside from time to time and it will last me another 50 years. I hope they do last that long. By then they will make great conversation pieces for any grandchildren I have.
Old April 29, 2005, 01:13 PM   #35
Dfariswheel

It wasn't uncommon to find a Colt revolver that had been issued to a cop in the police academy, carried during a 30 year career in all weather, and find it still in 100% internal shape.

That's one advantage the revolver STILL has.....load it, put it in a desk drawer and leave it untouched for 50 years.

When you take it out and pull the trigger, it'll fire just FINE.

You can remove the side plate on your revolvers and clean them out every now and then, BUT ONLY if you feel competent to do so, and have the RIGHT gunsmith's screwdrivers.

Pittsburgh goes on the assumption that you don't known anything about revolvers in general, and Colt's in particular.

Since they and I have seen MANY cases of people who didn't know about Colt's, this make excellent sense, and good advice.

Your refurbished Colt's likely won't last JUST another 50 years.
With any care at all, your GREAT grandkids will be giving them to THEIR kids.