The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 30, 2013, 10:35 PM   #26
iraiam

The only thing added to my HD shotgun is a bright light on a proper mount which makes the rifle sights on it usable at night. It's a plain, synthetic stock, cylinder bore 870 with 18.5" barrel and full length magazine (no extension). Oh and sling swivels.

I prefer a good ol fashioned shoulder stock because it's very easy to take it off your shoulder and do a face bash with it in one smooth stroke.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; October 1, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old September 30, 2013, 10:53 PM   #27
semi_problomatic

You must be one of those young whipper snappers who play too many video games! Don't you know that anything but wood stocks makes the gun too light and gives you blisters! And then you go adding a light which makes it 10#'s and unwieldy, completely throwing off the fluid motion and pointability! And god forbid! Sling mounts! Why, they must add an extra 10#'s and make the gun recoil 10 x harder!! How do you even manage to shoot that thing?

Kids these days and their sensible HD guns...what's the world coming to?
Old September 30, 2013, 11:11 PM   #28
jimbob86

Mayhaps a shirt-tail relative, then?

http://www.thegunzone.com/rooney.html
Old October 1, 2013, 03:53 AM   #29
shortwave

Quote:
Mayhaps a shirt-tail relative, then?

http://www.thegunzone.com/rooney.html
Perhaps jimbob

Thanks for sharing the Site.

Site saved to ask him if he has posted pics. there.

FWIW,Been tryin to figure out how to mount the vacuum cleaner to my HD shotgun. That way in case of a break in, this 'old guy' can multi-task and 'sweep' the carpets while 'sweeping' the house for bad guys...sorry guys couldn't resist.

Last edited by shortwave; October 1, 2013 at 04:01 AM.
Old October 7, 2013, 04:23 PM   #30
semi_problomatic

Bet it'd take you the same amount of time to clear the house either way. Careful you don't get blisters, I haven't seen any wooden vacuums and you know how dangerous that plastic is...
Old October 7, 2013, 05:30 PM   #31
BigD_in_FL

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the preferred model for cleaning house
Old October 7, 2013, 05:33 PM   #32
shortwave

Quote:
Bet it'd take you the same amount of time to clear the house either way
I don't clear the house. Gotta a trained dog that gets paid to do that. I just sit back in my plain ole' wooden rockin chair with my plain ole' wooden stocked 1100 and wait for him to flush the varmints out.

P.S. Dog hates plastic too. Chews that Nylabone like there's no tomorrow. Bad guy better not have a Nylabone... I mean plastic gun.
Old October 7, 2013, 06:52 PM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

so, I take it you don't agree with our VP?

I have mixed feelings about mounting a light on a weapon.
On one hand, being able to see your target to identify it positively is a good thing.

On the other hand, there is a strong instinctive tendency to use that weapon mounted light to see things with, and that means pointing a loaded weapon at them.

What I find objectionable isn't all the crap that one may or may not choose to hang on their gun, but the attitude that if you DON'T have that kind of stuff on your gun you are somehow not properly prepared, and therefore, irresponsible.

Generally there is a difference between what is optimal for combat and what will be fully adequate for personal defense. One does not need a combat shotgun for home defense, although it certainly will work.
Old October 7, 2013, 07:18 PM   #34
shortwave

Quote:
so, I take it you don't agree with our VP?
44AMP,

Do you think the VP would get mad if'n I could figure out a way to mount the dog to my shotgun?? He sees better at night, hears and his sniffer is much better than mine...and boy does he have a full bite.
Old October 7, 2013, 09:47 PM   #35
semi_problomatic

You did say you were going to sweep the carpet while you sweep the house. So now you're not going to do that? Or is "sweeping the house" some how different from "clearing it"?

Not true, you don't have to point a loaded gun at someone to use an attached flashlight. You could chamber the round after identifying the target maybe... I don't really see that as any slower than carrying a flashlight with one hand and gun in the other... I live way out in the country...but I also pay an extra $15 a month to have 3 street lights on my property. One in the front yard by the road, one in the backyard which lights up the front of the barn, and one off towards the back corner that lights up the back and side of the barn...if power went out though I could see me needing a mounted flashlight.

I never said anyone had to put anything on their gun, I have simply argued the virtues of some attachments that previous posters have mocked. I actually have none of those attachments (though I do have the synthetic stock). I have a simple NEF pardner protector with a hogue forearm and gg&g follower and a winchester model 1300 with wood stocks...different tools for different task. I leave my kitchen light on and have an alarm on my house as well as 2 dogs...so no need for flash lights, plus I have a pistol as primary SD gun, the pardner sits in the closet, so no need for extended mag tubes...it's not threaded for chokes and I have no interest in paying someone to put a breacher tip on there...
Old October 7, 2013, 09:54 PM   #36
jimbob86

Quote:
You could chamber the round after identifying the target maybe...

Seriously?

.....????

And if that target begins shooting you, your first action is to chamber a round?

Foolishness.
Old October 7, 2013, 11:56 PM   #37
iraiam

I don't see any difference between a weapon mounted light and a handheld light when it comes to "clearing" my house.

Even with a handgun in my right hand and a light in my left, the muzzle goes where my light and eyes go. I suspect many others have been trained this way as well.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 8, 2013, 12:55 AM   #38
Bill Akins

I like wood and plastic furniture on a shotgun, but it depends on the shotgun and what I'm planning on using it for. If it's a valuable antique, (and I mean TRULY valuable not just old), then I prefer wood. If it's something like a non family heirloom, Remington model 11 or any other mass produced older shotgun that I picked up for less than $200.00 bucks, then I'm not opposed to putting plastic stocks on it if wood ones are cost prohibitive or unavailable. If the checkering on the plastic stock cut into my skin or bothered me, then I'd just wrap some tape or camo gun wrap around the checkering. I could also always just sand the sharp edges of the checkering down too if I didn't want to use tape or some kind of gun wrap. With a few exceptions (I like shiny handguns the bright finish of which aren't practical), I'm a "whatever works" kind of guy.

A small, picatinny rail mounted pressure switch light mounted to the shotgun could sure come in handy in dark situations. But it's not a total necessity, because I know where my family is at night in my house, and I know if I hear something knocking around outside late at night, I know that it isn't a family member, so I don't actually need a light to identify the "good guys" and not shoot them.

A mounted light could come in handy just to be able to hit a bad guy in the dark, plus to hold off on turning the light on until you were right up on them and then the light unexpectedly blinding them would come in handy too. I don't have a light on mine currently, but I wouldn't mind getting a LED one. The weight of a small unobtrusive one wouldn't bother me at all. The only concern I have about a light (or laser) on a gun is the bad guy can trace back to where you are. But that is offset by the fact that I wouldn't just keep the light on the whole time, but would carefully stalk to the area of noise and only then turn it on the bad guys hopefully blinding them temporarily for maximum advantage.

I wear glasses for my 60 yr old eyes and I like scopes on my rifles because it has gotten harder to focus on the skinny front sight blade while also having a bit less focused rear sight ring picture. Which is the sight picture on my M1a (same as the M14 I used in the Marines). But with a shotgun, I don't have to focus on a rear sight, I just have to keep a focus on one thing, the gold bead of my front sight sitting on top of the barrel in such a way as it appears it is sitting right on top of my receiver. My eyes are good enough for that, so I don't see a need for a scope on a shotgun since I'm not doing precision long range shooting with a scatter gun. My view on shooting is:
rifle for longer distances, shotgun for shorter distances, handgun for closest distances.

I think an extended magazine tube is a good idea on a shotgun. The extra weight isn't that much and my thinking is,..... the best way to reload in a dangerous situation......is to not have to.

In a bugout situation where I had to carry on my back, shoulder and waist, anything I took with me, I'd sling a shotgun over my shoulder, tie a neckerchief around my neck or forehead, carry a rifle and maybe a holstered handgun plus my K-bar knife and maybe, but not necessarily a hatchet on my belt too. (I might not carry a handgun because that's three different types of ammo to carry instead of just two for my rifle and shotgun, plus if they got past my rifle and shotgun, I'd probably be dead anyway). A compact "leatherman" tool in my pocket. My back pack would contain a small roll of fishing line and a few different size hooks, one extra shirt and trousers, two extra pairs of socks, toothbrush, two extra underwear, a sewing kit, a light, thinwall sleeping bag and foam mat both rolled up and carried under my backpack, a roll of parachute cord, a small LED flashlight with a few extra batteries, cigarette lighter, extra pair of sneakers, dried not wet....food and as much water as I could carry....if I was going where finding water was going to possibly be a problem. If finding water wasn't going to be a problem (here in Fl it wouldn't be much of a problem), then I'd carry one canteen on my belt, some purification tablets, and put more food and ammo in my backpack instead of water. I do believe in keeping it simple (KISS), with just what is necessary in a on foot survival situation, but I have no aversion to handy lights on a shotgun, or plastic stocks.

Ultimately, I'm fine with whatever someone else wants to do with their gun. It may not be what I would do, but dang it, it's their gun. And I don't know everything, and find that I sometimes change my mind about things once I've actually used them. The main thing to me, is that at least someone IS a gun enthusiast and is doing SOMETHING with their gun (and thereby learning more about guns), in this society where the liberals in the schools and government are trying to brainwash the young people into disliking any kind of guns.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; October 8, 2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old October 8, 2013, 04:17 AM   #39
semi_problomatic

Jimbob...I just gotta chuckle. You only quoted half my sentence...Seriously?

The guy didn't want to point a loaded gun at someone to identify them. So that leaves holding a gun in one hand and a flashlight in the other...and not having your weapon pointed where you look...(yeah, super idea what are you gonna do, shoulder the shotgun with one hand? Drop the flashlight? Or try to hold/operate/even grab the pump while shouldering and aiming with a flashlight in your hand?), not having a loaded chamber and pointing a shotgun at someone, orrr...what? Not identifying your target? Maybe one of those ballcaps with the built in LED lights? What is your expert opinion on how to properly use a flashlight and shotgun to identify a target without pointing a loaded gun at someone?
Old October 8, 2013, 04:57 AM   #40
Mike Irwin
Staff

But... cheese grater rails are taktikool! How can you have a home defense shotgun without it being taktikool?

The guy who hangs the most **** off the rails on his gun wins!

My HD shotgun is a circa 1970s Smith & Wesson Model 3000 police cruiser. Parkerized finish, wood stock, 5 shell tube magazine, bead front sight.

The ONLY thing that was hanging off of it was an Uncle Mike's flexible buttcuff shell carrier, and even that's gone (elastic hardened).

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 8, 2013, 05:46 AM   #41
Bill Akins

Quote:
Semi problematic wrote:
What is your expert opinion on how to properly use a flashlight and shotgun to identify a target without pointing a loaded gun at someone?
Not that I would use something like this, and I have never seen one like I describe below, but I suppose someone could rig up a light attached to their shotgun, that swiveled and had a spring and or detente built into it, so you could swivel it to say a 45 degree angle with the fore end holding hand without taking your hand completely off the fore end of the shotgun, then firmly grasp the forend of the gun again, and then somehow (maybe via just a flick of a finger) you could instantly make the light spring back in line with the barrel. In that way you could identify the target without actually pointing the barrel at it, yet in a split second, have the barrel and light aligned and on target if necessary. Something like that, a mini, spring loaded, swiveling spotlight. It's either that or you chance pointing the shotgun at a target you aren't quite sure of yet and keep your finger off the trigger.....but real close to the trigger just in case. Myself, I figure if I'm concerned enough to be stalking around in the dark, then something has made me concerned and it isn't a member of my family creating my concern. So I wouldn't be too concerned about pointing my light and barrel at whatever it was that had caused my concern in the first place. I don't have to function the trigger if the target isn't an immediate threat, and I'm not concerned that I might cause consternation in the mind of the target by my pointing the barrel at whatever the target was that shouldn't be there that caused my concern in the first place.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; October 8, 2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old October 8, 2013, 10:38 AM   #42
jimbob86

Quote:
What is your expert opinion on how to properly use a flashlight and shotgun to identify a target without pointing a loaded gun at someone?
I'm no expert, and I don't use my shotgun for house clearing ..... neither of mine is handy enough for the tighter corners ..... I'd use my pistol .... mostly because I need to have one hand free for the phone or flashlight.

If I'm sure someone is in the house that should not be, the second tool I'm grabbing is the phone, to call the Cavalry from the Sherriff's Office. I can dial that in the dark ...... flashlight is next down the list.

All this Tacticool Operator House Clearing fantasy stuff ...... you go right ahead.

The most likely bump in the night 'round here is my daughter fighting her pillow in her sleep .....
Old October 8, 2013, 11:26 AM   #43
semi_problomatic

Jimbob, I'm pretty sure I stated how my shotgun is set-up and why... If not reread that post you partially quoted. ANNNNND like you, I'd use my pistol...which again, was stated in that post you partially quoted.

However, I wouldn't need a phone or a flashlight as (again) previously stated I have an alarm and leave the kitchen light on. I have a very open floor plan and from my bedroom door I can see most everything but the laundry room door...which opens out back where my two large dogs live. The sherriff came by last year after an older lady was shot in her home and asked if I owned guns. I said "yes" and he said "good, keep it loaded and use it, as we will not be able to respond soon enough". Or something to that nature.

Does adding a flashlight mount make it tacticool? For some reason I think you're imagining some monstrosity mossberg created (like the zmb chainsaw) and I'm still imagining a shotgun like the OP stated...a synthetic stock 12 gauge...
Old October 8, 2013, 11:49 AM   #44
44 AMP
Staff

Everybody's situation is a little different, and what is best or highly useful in one situation might be nothing but extra weight and drag in another.

I have rifles, carbines, shotguns and handguns. My rifles and carbines are of only limited use in a home defense situation, and even more so at night. The advantage to a rifle is range, and that is something of very limited use in a civilian defensive situation.

Remember that I'm not a cop, no longer a soldier (not for decades), and as a simple private citizen, I'm only justified in shooting someone if there is an immediate threat. And its tough to justify shooting someone at rifle distances as necessary defensive shooting. Count on it, that at some point, if you shoot someone, the authorities will become involved (you should.."invite" them, at the earliest practical moment, looks bad if you don't), and if they find you dropped someone 60yds from the house with you AR/AK/Win thutty-thutty, etc., they are going to be asking some tough questions...

SO, home defense is shotgun/handgun range thing. Next comes how you plan to handle it. Several have mentioned house clearing/sweeping, and that's fine, for you. I'm not going to bother. My situation allows me that luxury.

Old, fat, lazy, high drag, low speed operator here. Small house, in the country, yard light (yes, xtra $15 a month), and nothing of any serious value on my property that isn't visible from the windows, even at night. Have a small dog (0 points defensive value, but a good alarm system, and proven).

SO, neither the wife, nor I am inclined to go out and find trouble. My defensive shotgun(s) are for repelling boarders, not offensive action. Win Model 12 with a riot length barrel (no I didn't cut it, I found it that way at a gun show, checked it for legal length - both ways- and took it home). Holds 6 all up, so I don't feel a need for an extended mag tube. Wife's gun is a Joe Biden special (although we had it long before he recommended such), a 12 ga double barrel, coach gun. And yes, we both have enough sense to not just "shoot it in the air off the back porch (the VP's other recommendation )).

On an average day (or night) a deputy is available in 20-30minutes. Our plan, should it ever be needed, is to hunker down, call for help and repel boarders if needed. I'm quite confident that anyone we take a serious exception to will leave, rapidly, under their own power, or the body will eventually be carried out.

If you think a gun with a light, heat shield, folding stock, pistol grip, extended mag, ammo carrier, can opener and pez dispenser on it is a useful thing to you, then by all means have one and enjoy it. Just don't look down on me and mine because we choose something else.
Old October 8, 2013, 03:18 PM   #45
buckhorn_cortez

There are no street lights where I live and the house is really dark at night because we keep the blinds closed. So, we have LED nightlights stategically placed throught the house - mainly,so I don't fall over the dog when I get up at night.

However, the LED nightlights provide enough light to ID someone so, I don't have my FN SLP decked out with lights & other stuff. I figure the 7 shots from the SLP will delay someone enough for my wife to shoot them with the .44 Special revolver or the .45 ACP 1911 we keep in the nightstands.

As for stocks - I just keep whatever comes from the factory. Polymer on the FN, wood on the Beretta, etc.
Old October 8, 2013, 06:26 PM   #46
Jim243

Quote:
On the other hand, there is a strong instinctive tendency to use that weapon mounted light to see things with, and that means pointing a loaded weapon at them.
I don't have a set of night vision goggles to wear, so a light is good. If I have the light pointed at someone the barrel is pointed as well, And yes that is a gun light on the mag tube under the barrel.

Jim