The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 17, 2012, 09:37 PM   #1
cbader89

Taurus Pt22 PLY grips

Hi everyone. I recently picked up a pt22 Ply Stainless from a local pawn shop, I've been looking into ordering one for a while so I was excited to find this one for about $60 cheaper than retail in addition to not having to pay shipping costs. The issue is, that the grip is Pink... the other parts of the gun are black and stainless, just a pink grip. I purchased the gun anyway assuming this would be a quick fix. I have now realized that I can't find a single grip made for this gun, ANYWHERE. I also am told the grips for original pt22 won't fit it either, has anyone tried to MAKE one fit? Can this be possible? Is there no place on earth that I can purchase an aftermarket grip for a pt22 ply???
Old November 18, 2012, 01:45 AM   #2
weblance

Well, first off, making the older PT22 grip work on the PLY22 isnt gonna happen. As you know, the PLY22 grip is a one piece, 3 sided, wrap around grip, and the older PT22 is a conventional 2 sided grip. I have seen the colored PLY22s, and the FRAME is colored, not the grip. There were Yellow, and Lavender frames made. Im not an expert on every configuration of the PLY22, so I will assume you are correct, and the GRIP is pink on yours. With this in mind, contact Taurus and explain what you want, and they MAY help you with a black grip. Thats the way I would go, for starters. It may be possible to dye your grip black, or I have seen rubber grippers that were cut for the textured areas of the grip, that stick on, maybe a full wrap around from this company would work also.

I have had my PLY22 for several weeks now, and its a wonderful little gun. I am very happy with its performance, and appearance. I think this is one of Taurus' GEMS, and would recommend it to anyone. I am well over 1,000 rounds now, and have had a maybe 3 jams, but only after the pistol is filthy. Clean it up, and the jams go away. Mine is ultra reliable with ANY HV round nosed ammo, including Bulk ammo from CCI(Blazers) and Remington("New, Improved" Golden). It shoots Stingers, Velociters, Mini Mags, Vipers, and Yellow Jackets equally well. Its a great little gun.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506085

Last edited by weblance; November 18, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old November 19, 2012, 01:19 AM   #3
cbader89

heres a stock image of the Pink handle, i was told by taurus that its a discontinued model
Attached Images
File Type: jpg taurus.jpg (33.1 KB, 110 views)
Old November 19, 2012, 03:08 AM   #4
bonefamily

I say, if you don't mind the pink grips, go ahead and shoot it! If you can't live with it, is there a female shooter in the household or family that might want it?
Old November 19, 2012, 06:22 PM   #5
lee n. field

How secure are you in your masculinity?

Either live with it, or start researching paints suitable for plastic surfaces. Or, look on the bright side. You won't loose it on the forest floor.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 19, 2012, 06:56 PM   #6
dayman

Start calling it "pink lightning".

Or paint it. Are the grips soft at all? that could conceivably make them much harder to paint. I'm actually surprised Tauris doesn't offer replacement grips.