The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 13, 2012, 06:23 AM   #1
Fox84

CMP Garand buying experiences

I shot a Garand yesterday and now I must have one.To far to drive to a store. It seems a pretty big deal buying first time with the paperwork and the notarizing and a club membership and all.
I'am a club member afiliated with CMP. I'am not a criminal. I posess a Concealed carry permit. Is it as complicated as it seems? I hope it to be a Christmas present to me
Old November 13, 2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Technosavant

The paperwork seems involved but isn't all that horrible. Takes a bit to assemble it, but once you send it off there's a lot of waiting.

I sent my paperwork off about 3.5 weeks ago and while I've received the confirmation (they'll check over the paperwork and make sure it's complete), my order has yet to show up on the e-store or be charged to my card. I'm currently expecting it to take at least another week, if not two, before the M1 is in my safe.
Old November 13, 2012, 10:54 AM   #3
kraigwy

Quote:
I'am a club member afiliated with CMP. I'am not a criminal. I posess a Concealed carry permit. Is it as complicated as it seems?
NO, its not complicated at all. Add to your list a birth cert (proof of US Citizenship) and you are good to go.

Down load the forms from the CMP web site, Make a copy of your club card, CCW Permit, (proof of firearm activity) and your birth cert (or DD 214, anything that proves citizenship). Have your sig. notorized (banks do that), and send for your rifle.

Don't wait, CMP M1s wont last forever. I've heard a lot of horor stories from people that put off getting a 1903, 1917 and/or M1 Carbines, only to find they were gone when they finely got around to sending off the order.

Plus they will never be cheaper.

Price wise you can't beat the CMP, not to mention every rifle sold by the CMP has been gone over by their armors to make sure they function propertly, and if for some weird chance something is wrong, they will make it right. You'll not find better customer service then the CMP.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 13, 2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Fox84

Thanks guys. Do they ship to you or a local FFL guy?
Old November 13, 2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Technosavant

Unless you live in New Jersey it ships directly to you. The forms you fill out are more or less the 4473 and you authorize the NICS check. The CMP's authorization by Congress lets them ship straight to the end user.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:14 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Get one now. This is one of those "Worth putting it on your credit card" deals.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:29 PM   #7
grdpounder

Got Mine

I picked up mine last Friday

You probably want to go mail order, its cheaper than if you pick one up they charge sales tax, which is more than the shipping and handling.
Old November 13, 2012, 10:01 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

I agree it is cheaper, but going to the CMP store was an EXPERIENCE for me. I can dig out the business card of the staff member who helped me if I need to. 5 years on I can't remember his name, but I still remember his face and how helpful he was to me. I few as though I got a much better rifle going in person.

Actually, I had them mail it to me even though I picked it out.
Old November 13, 2012, 10:02 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

I agree it is cheaper, but going to the CMP store was an EXPERIENCE for me. I can dig out the business card of the staff member who helped me if I need to. 5 years on I can't remember his name, but I still remember his face and how helpful he was to me. I few as though I got a much better rifle going in person.

Actually, I had them mail it to me even though I picked it out. 33 cents a mile is VERY low and at that rate I paid way more driving than I would have with straight mail order. Worth every penny.
Old November 16, 2012, 06:27 AM   #10
Fox84

I really want one. Patience is not me. Looking for onr local for now.
Old November 16, 2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
I really want one. Patience is not me. Looking for one local for now.
No!

There is no better value in all of firearms than a $625 CMP Service Grade Garand. I guarantee you will not find a Garand locally that will match the quality for under $1000. Heck, most of the $1000 Garands I see at stores and gun shows around here are true beaters.

Heck - waiting is half the fun. There is an ongoing thread at the CMP Garand forum dealing with wait time. Folks compare times and show off unboxing photos. The CMP ships via FedEX overnight - once everything processes, you pretty much know exactly when it's coming to your door.

The wait time for me was just 27 days, and filling out, notorizing and mailing the paperwork took all of 1 hour (UPS stores around here can notorize the form for about $5).

Here's my $625 CMP Service Grade Springfield Armory with a 1944 receiver and a like-new 1954 barrel.

Old November 16, 2012, 05:56 PM   #12
Fox84

I really like yours with the new stock and all. Your right about local stuff they all want $900.
Old November 16, 2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Eghad

Unless you really know your M1 Garands CMP is the best place to buy one. You can call and talk to them. The lady I talked to was very professional and helpful and got me finished up in no time.

NRA Life Member
Old November 17, 2012, 12:01 AM   #14
golfnutrlv

The wait time to get mine was around 26 days. (This was about 2 years ago).

CMP all the way, it is an easy process. I sent in a copy of my Concelaled Pistol License, and a copy of a training certificate from a local NRA/Law Enforcement Instructor from a carbine class I took. It worked...

I probably didn't need both, but why give them an excuse to bounce it.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old November 17, 2012, 04:54 PM   #15
Fox84

I sent my paper today. I hope things work out. It only took about 2hrs to copy and get it notarized. Wish me luck. I told them a new walnut stock would suit me just fine on my service grade rifle. My wife will pay half for Xmas present
Old November 17, 2012, 06:24 PM   #16
Technosavant

They seem to be running slower now than they were a month ago. My papers were received a few weeks back and I got the confirmation email on 11/2, but no movement has been observed since. Others report that the last day or two has had them working on orders received 10/15, so I have at least another week to go before they send mine.

I ordered a CMP Special grade... I wanted one that would be an excellent shooter. It won't have the historical value that some of the lesser grades might have but I was willing to trade that for the new barrel.

I have a quart of BLO sitting in the basement for some good quality time when the rifle gets here. Gonna make it look all purdy.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:47 AM   #17
Ignition Override

Many sellers at gun shows can easily qualify to buy a Garand from the CMP, and they did so.

They violated a gentleman's agreement not to resell them (for a profit), before being marked up at least $200-500 at the show.

They are there to earn a nice profit, but at worst they can socialize with the other guys and enjoy showing off their collection-whether any guns sell or not...
Old November 18, 2012, 09:05 AM   #18
ThatONEguy

Just do it so many happy customers come from CMP, was a skeptic at first but went thru the hoops that they require and once processed, got my rifle next day air shipped from Fed ex .... I have nothing but great things to say about to quality of there rifles,I went with the service grade and wow I was impressed..... only thing I'd say is it does take a bit to verify and process you thru but we'll worth the wait