The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 10, 2005, 10:02 PM   #1
rdan

Help with P97 slide takedown

Help,
I purchased a Wolff 16lb. recoil spring for my Ruger P97 DC and a firing pin spring came with it.
I'm not sure how to take the slide assembly apart to access the firing pin spring.
Any instructions or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Old May 7, 2005, 12:18 AM   #2
CaptainRazor

I am having the same problem too, I'm pretty sure the rear sight has to be drifted out to remove the firing pin, but that sucker just doesn't want to budge.

Anybody?
Old May 7, 2005, 01:13 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Don't take the sight out!

For left and right, I'm assuming you're looking at the slide upside down with the muzzle away from you.

This only works on the DC models--don't know about the others.

Looking at the slide upside down with the muzzle away from you, you will see a deep channel down the right hand rear inside of the slide.

There's a pin that goes across that channel, and under the pin, there's a leaf spring. Push the leaf spring down and push the pin out the right hand side of the slide. That's a neat trick since the spring is pretty stiff and there's not much to push on. If you have a very small punch, you can push on the tiny lip of the pin from the inside of the slide.

With the pin out, take out the leaf spring and that will free up the right lever. It may not come out yet (can't remember), but it will later.

Now find a screwdriver that has a blade that will fit under the extractor. Place the side of the blade under the extractor (from the bottom of the slide) and push to the left and toward the muzzle. When you've pushed it far enough outward, it will just slide out toward the muzzle.

For left and right, I'm assuming you're looking at the slide upside down with the muzzle away from you.

The left lever should now just pull out as will the right lever. You may have to fiddle with the firing pin to get the levers out. You'll have to depress the firing pin safety on the underside of the slide to get the firing pin out, IIRC.

If you get stuck, I'll strip mine tomorrow and walk you through it. I'm too tired tonight.

It's fiddly getting that pin out, but it's not really a hard disassembly.

Kinda neat the way it all goes together. Took me awhile to figure it out the first time.

PM me if I don't post--I don't always visit "The Smithy".

BTW, if that's a heavier spring than factory, you may start to have reliability issues. The P97 is pretty prone to limpwristing due to the heavy cartridge and the light frame. Making the recoil spring heavier is going to increase that tendency. Anyway, beefing up a Ruger is sort of like taking a bucket of water when you visit the ocean--to make sure they don't run out.
Old May 7, 2005, 08:31 AM   #4
CaptainRazor

Hey Thanks JohnKSA!

I had already marked the sight so I could get it back in the right place, by looking at the drawing, it appeared that the disconnector had to come out to get the firing pin out.

Anyway, thanks for the info, what you described makes a lot more sense!

I tend to agree on the beefing up the Ruger, but the recoil spring always seemed very weak to me, and to be honest, I had a few problems (minor) with the slide going to battery a while back. All it took to get the thing to fire was a little push with my thumb on the back of the slide, hence, I figured a little more spring would cure the problem. The only reason I wanted to change the firing pin spring was more of a safety issue.
You post has been a great big help, I'll try it later this evening, Thanks again!