The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 27, 2005, 12:43 AM   #1
gitarmac

help with savage 110

I have a savage 110 in .308. I was getting good groups with remmington core-loc. I switched to winchester silver tips (I can't remember wt of the rounds, silvertips heavier) and had a problem hunting one day. I could not get it on paper, got closer and on paper, further out could not even tell where round went. At a later date I managed to get a good group again using the core-locs.

I didn't get to hunt last year, this happened 2 years ago so my memory is a little fuzzy. I've been working on my ruger 10/22 and I picked up the savage tonight to take a look at it. The owners manual is useless as far as torque on the takedown screw. I noticed when I put the action back in the stock the action rocked. I couldn't find a reason why and figured it was to free float the barrel. (the owners manual doesn't make mention of removing gun from stock and I didn't pay attention when I took it out). I noticed the barrel was closer to the right side of the stock towards the end so I sanded it a little.

I am planning on using it this year and would like to get it to shoot it's best. At first I thought it was ammo choice but now I am wondering. It had been awhile since I last took it to the range which doesn't help my troubleshooting any. Could it really be that ammo picky? Is the barrel supposed to free float in the stock? Is there a site that would have more info on this model so I can have as much fun with it as I've been having with my 10/22? The trigger on it really isn't bad. I have a BSA scope on it, I would like to get a better scope but don't want to waste money on one if there is an issue with the gun. I want to make sure I am right about how it fits into the stock, I used some tape to hold the spring for the internal magazine in place when I put it back together to make sure it didn't bind, it sticks out pretty far. I plan on getting some different ammo and trying it out as soon as possible but it's difficult finding a place to shoot, the only outdoor range is a crowded Wildlife managment area an hour from here, not the best place to sight in a rifle. My friends that live in the country can't shoot their own guns or neighbors will call the cops. (it's getting bad around here). I say this because I know someone is going to tell me just to run out and shoot it. I plan on doing just that as soon as I know the rest is OK.

I really learned a lot working on my 10/22, it had never occurred to me that how a rifle attaches to the stock would affect the way it shot!! For some reason I think that might be what happened during the silvertip incident of '03.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post.
Old April 27, 2005, 08:01 AM   #2
Harry Bonar

Savage 110

Dear Sir:
Your 110 "rocking" may well have been the fact that the bbl. is floated. As long as your action goes down without rocking holding your hand pressure straight down on the middle of the action, that's OK. The bbls' on 110s' many were floated; that's great. Use a business card to check floating and you did right by evening it up..
The real cure for that 110 is to glass-bed at the recoil lug area and then make sure your bbl' is floated - it's NOT the ammo! 110s' are the best and most accurate rifles out of the box; they can be real tack-drivers with some special treatment.
I suspect your accuracy problem was loose guard screws to start with. Your bbl' nut should be tight and be sure to check scope mounting screrws - I've found them loose.
Good Shooting Harry B.
Old April 27, 2005, 10:05 AM   #3
gitarmac

Thank you for the quick response. I was suspecting as much but wasn't positive and didn't know anything about importance of takedown screws the last time I took it down. After looking at the inside of the stock I was figuring on glass bedding it anyway, although there are no large chips missing there are some fibers knocked off the edge of the shelf where the action sits. I had the stock cut down and a recoil pad put on to fit my small stature and don't want to go to the expense of a new stock when I really should go to the expense of a new scope. I have weaver mount and rings on this one so it's pretty solid. I can't remember if that's what I had on it during the snafu or not.

I'll check my takedown screws with a torque wrench the next time and at least keep that part consistant, it seems to be a big deal among the 10/22 shooters. Now all I have to do is stock up on some ammo and get started. The .22 was supposed to lessen the expense of my shooting hobby but I think it worked the other way around!