The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 19, 2005, 08:53 PM   #1
Harry Bonar

Jap Sporter:

Dear shooters:
I posted this on trading guns and shotguns and got two disrepectful answers; I'm sure the men on "The Smithy" are more gentlemanly!
I got a Jap 6.5mm sporter done by a master, I believe in this country from a military Jap rifle - it has been done by a master stockmaker, engraver and gunsmith.
Bbl' is 20", beautiful checkered stock, Herters old style muzzle-break, action professionall reworked, no tangs, engraved by a master engraver all over and half-way out the bbl. Williams Foolproof reciever sight, beautifully done front ramp, hooded with a nice bead - bore is very good with the normal military roughness in grooves - shoots good! Good strong rifling, shiny to look through with no drag on cleaning patch, beautiful bolt welding job, jeweled bolt, ectractor, etc.
Do any smiths know who might have done this work, (every aspect shows the hand of a master gunsmith).
George, or Dave or others, do you know who might have done this work or have you seen one like this.
Thanks adults on the forum!
Harry B.
Old April 19, 2005, 09:45 PM   #2
mtnboomer

This is only thought, but I have read that after WW II and into the 1950's many gunsmithing schools would take most any firearm to sporterize. Most of these schools employed VERY competent 'smiths (a.k.a. Masters) who oversaw the teaching while their apprentices did the work. These guns would be shuttled through all the various disiplines (sportizing, rebarreling, action rework, metal prep, stocking, engraving, etc.) and many came back to their owners more as works of art than as firearms - and usually for a ridiculosly small price! Many of these apprentices went on to be Master Gunsmiths themselves while much of their early work would go unsigned. Maybe yours was one of these, maybe not. I hope you find an answer!

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old April 19, 2005, 10:41 PM   #3
brandx

I have read that early Arisaka's made very good sporters. Not long ago, I aquired one that had a real slick action. I considered sporting it in a different caliber, but sold it to a mil-surp collector. If you could post a picture of yours, maybe someone would recognize it and give you a lead on its maker.
Old April 20, 2005, 05:18 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

jap 6.5

Hey Guys!
Thanks for the good info!
Harry B.
Old April 20, 2005, 06:05 PM   #5
mete

The Arisaka is considered the strongest action by some unlike other war imports. The drawback is that for most people it's not a graceful good looking rifle.
Old April 20, 2005, 06:46 PM   #6
jefnvk

Arisakas are very strong. IIRC, there was an article where a guy rechambered a 6.5 Jap for .30-06, while leaving the barrel the same size. Think about a 7.62mm slug down a 6.5mm barrel. Not only didn't the gun blow up, but the NRA did it a few more times, and it was still intact.
Old April 20, 2005, 08:49 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

The major drawbacks of the Arisaka action are the cock-on-closing, which is not liked by many Americans (OK, Lee-Enfield fans, I know, I know) and the fact that scope mounting is not easy due to the split receiver bridge which pretty well rules out the best type of mounting. The safety, while actually quite good, is also disliked.

Nonetheless, many veterans who brought back Japanese rifles had them made into very nice sporters. A number of gunsmiths did that kind of work on Arisakas, Mausers, Springfields, Enfields (M1917), Krags and other military rifles.

Not the only "silk purse" job I have heard of, though. I knew of one case where a professional custom engraver decided to secretly do a favor for a friend. The fellow's wife took one of his guns to the engraver who did a super job, full engraving, gold and silver inlay, the works. It is probably the only $20,000 engraving job ever done on a 7.35 Carcano.

Jim
Old April 23, 2005, 09:49 PM   #8
Hunter Customs

Harry,
I'm not sure who may have done your rifle, but I new an older gentleman who just happen to be one of the best rifle smiths I've ever met. His first name was Harold and I do not wish to post his last name as I'm sure Harold has passed by now. The last time I mentioned the last name of a fine smith that passed some crass individual contacted his family bugging the hell out them asking if they had any guns, tools, or smithing information he could buy, so I swore I would never do that again.
Anyway Harold was one hell of a gun smith and was a firm believer in the Arisaka action and the strenth they possessed. He used to tell me they were the strongest action going. He built a lot of custom rifles and several were built on Arisaka actions. He had one of the most beatuiful Birdshead Maple stocked custom Arisaka rifles I've ever seen.
Harold was one of the smiths from the old school, if you needed a part and you could not buy it, he made it. He was much like my Mentor that taught me about the 1911 guns.
I know a gentleman that has a Marlin 45-70 with a large loop lever on it that was not available at the time. The guy wanted a large loop lever so Harold made him one. I wish you luck in finding out who built the rifle you have, if you do find out and don't mind passing on the info I would be interested in knowing. It's a shame that there's a lot of fine guns out there built by true craftsmen and no one will ever know who they are.
I have an old custom 98 Mauser that's one of the sweetest rifles I've ever had the pleasure to hold in my hands. I'm giving it to my oldest grandson and have told him this is one gun that can never be sold or traded.
Good luck in your search.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old April 27, 2005, 07:42 AM   #9
Harry Bonar

arisaka

Dear Sir:
Thanks so much for the good info; this rifle is, truly, the work of a master.
Thanks----------- Harry B.