The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 26, 2005, 05:37 PM   #1
Edward429451

Gluing Velcro to Plastic...?

Hey whats a good gun glue? My velcro for my laser switch needs replaced now, it finally started coming up a little after 8 or 10 years. The laser came with some stickyback velcro that did good for its time and stuck tight to my Glock and left no residue when I peeled it off. I scavenged some more velcro from my webbing junk drawer and have tried spray adhesive and silicone and neither worked to my satisfaction. What to use?

1st gen. Glock if that matters.
Old April 26, 2005, 06:10 PM   #2
orionengnr

if you don't want to use Super Glue

or something on your weapon (I wouldn't) you can buy Velcro with sticky on the back. If it lasted you ten years the first time, changing it out every 5-10 years doesn't sound so bad.
I got some at work so I can't tell you where to go but I would check sewing/fabric type place like JoAnn Fabric (ask your wife)
Old April 26, 2005, 07:22 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Wal-Mart carries boxes of genuine "Velcro" brand industrial strength stick-on velcro patches or strips.

This is found in the sewing department, and sometimes automotive.

This stuff has a SUPER-duper adhesive that really bonds.

It's better if you clean and degrease the area, and on plastics, if you can, roughen the area with fine sandpaper to give the adhesive a better bond.

It works best, if you follow directions and give it overnight to fully bond.

This is TOUGH to remove, but when it's off, you can use solvent or WD-40 to clean off the adhesive.
Old April 27, 2005, 12:35 AM   #4
mikikanazawa

Dfariswheel is right-on with the industrial/mounting/exterior grades of Velcro. 3M has a version too, IIRC, except it'd be called "hook and loop" fasteners.

If you accidentally stick the glue portion to your fingers you'd practically have to have it surgically removed.