The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 22, 2005, 10:11 AM   #1
bennypapa

Sportsman 48 not ejecting, What to do?

I was given a 12ga remington sportsman 48 shotgun last year and cleaned and lubed it and never got to shoot it until yesterday.
I was surprised to find that it didn't eject shells.
I have had no experience with autoloader shot guns but I am very mechanical and would like to fix this gun.

It looks like it is a blow back type action but I am not sure if the action is held closed by some kind of latching mechanism that could be failing to unlatch properly. Does anyone know?

I wonder if the actions is not smooth enough to eject properly? Could be too much friction not overcome by the target loads i was firing.
Can someone reccomend a proper grease/lubricant for the action ways?

Thanks, Ben
Old April 22, 2005, 01:48 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

uh oh

The ejector most likely has been broken off of the barrel extension. This just came up the other day here on the Firing Line. The guy found a guy in N. Dakota that said he was having some made. I would give him a call and get two from him just in case it breaks again after you have it brazed back on. They aren't making any parts at the Remington factory, so if you want to keep this gun shooting, I would try to find another at the pawn shops to have in case you have another part to break. If the gun develops headspace, you cannot order a new locking block or bolt to fix it so I would make sure to only shoot factory loads in it. Good luck, here is the name and number.

Jack First in N dakota
Phone is: 605-343-9544
Old April 24, 2005, 03:35 PM   #3
bennypapa

The end of the barrel has a brazed on hook that I assume is the part you are talking about. I think the problem lies in a rough finish on the moving parts. There seems to be a place in the bolt travel just after it starts to move that binds somehow. I need to locate some drawings and dissassembly instructions. I can get the barrel off but have yet to figure out how to remove the action parts from the receiver.

Anyone got any thips on that???

Thanks, Ben
Old April 25, 2005, 11:10 PM   #4
cntryboy1289

no problem

Light loads may cause some retard of the ejection, but I fire number 9's through my 20 gauge all the time. The breaking system was set up to fire light loads.

Remove the barrel and the mag tube spring and mag follower. Look at the recoil spring and make sure that the directions that say this side up for all loads is at the top of the spring. It may have been replaced upside down which will cause problems.

To further break the gun down, punch out the two pins that hold the trigger group in the gun. Remove the group, then slide the bolt forward out of the gun. Then remove the buttstock and I would remove the spring that returns the bolt. It may be very dirty and gummed up. The trigger group is exactly like the 870 if you are familiar with it minus the action bar lock. The carrier dog may be causing some drag when the bolt moves rearward. I would use a cleaner degreaser on all of the moving parts and the bolt. I then use breakfree and a dab of moly grease to wipe down the parts and the innards of the reciever. I wipe them off and just leave a residue on them. Good luck tracking the problem down. Let me know if you need anything else.