The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 8, 2000, 04:38 PM   #1
Spadone

Ordered a Remington '58 .36. Seems I always have shot .44's, so I figured I'd give the little ball a try.
Old December 8, 2000, 08:44 PM   #2
dreadnaught

I like the 36 colts real well. Never shot a Remington. Bring it on over.
Old December 10, 2000, 04:44 PM   #3
Spadone

Cn'B

I never been to a cowboy action shoot. Done some N/SSA skirmishing. Do many people shoot black powder?
Old December 11, 2000, 08:52 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

We usually have a shooter or two using black powder at our matches.
Old December 11, 2000, 11:09 PM   #5
Ned Roundtree

Out of 50-60 folks, we usually have two or three shooting black powder. Another three to four are shooting frontier cartridge. Not the same, but the smoke does fly!!
Old December 12, 2000, 06:47 AM   #6
Chris Bowie

Rem. '58 and Cowboy action

Great buy on the Remington. i'm in South australia and cowboy action has been growing fast down here over the last 15 years. Surprising to some Blackpowder has really taken off...both cap and ball and Frontier(BP cartridge) At a recent interclub on our range we had a team of Yosemite sam lookalikes shooting remingtons and colts..... They didnt win but i can guarantee they had more fun than anyone.... even had coloring in their blackpowder for some pretty spectacular clouds.
love to drag out my old remington for a bit of fun.... isnt that what its all about?
Chris Bowie Kenton Valley Cowboys
South Australia
Old December 12, 2000, 09:31 AM   #7
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Chris, welcome aboard! You still the big dog there? Our range is nearing completion, so of course winter has set in. right now it's 5 degrees F outside. So we've shut down doing any building for a while.
Love the coloring bit. I should imagine that livened conversations up after the first shot
Old December 12, 2000, 10:12 AM   #8
dreadnaught

I shoot with the Pungo Posse in southeast Va. Several folks shoot BP (including Frontier Cartridge) I have been tempted myself but only have the one Colt Navy. And its on its last legs. You listenin, Santa?
Old December 15, 2000, 02:47 AM   #9
Chris Bowie

Cowboy action down under !!!

G'day there fal 308 long time no see !!!! Yes the color in the blackpoder loads sure caused some excitement.... we even gave the team responsible a special award for originality and shooting just for the damned fun of it.
Cowboy action goes from strength to strenght here,,,, we just held our Christmas dinner.... booked out a restaurant called NED KeLLYS retreat.....ned was our most famous bushranger (your outlaw)... all came done up in their finest.... some of the ladies looked amazing..... in all sorts of incredible (if uncomfortable) outfits.
i recently purchased another (my fourth) super blackhawk. Couldnt resist..... only $180 australian... ie about $90... must admit it had spent some time at the bottom of the great barrier reef when dropped overboard a few years ago..... no blueing left on it....but i dont care.... got it for blackpowder loads...yeee haaaa
Chris Bowie South Australia
Old December 15, 2000, 09:43 AM   #10
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I've read some about Ned Kelly and I believe there was (at least) one movie made about his exploits and shown here in the States.
I remember that SBH. Glad it turned out to be shootable.

The rest of you guys will love this. Chris shoots CAS with a pair of 12" SBHs
Old December 15, 2000, 01:19 PM   #11
dreadnaught

12" SBH's? Sheesh. i shoot 5 1/2" Vaqueros.
Old December 16, 2000, 07:27 AM   #12
Chris Bowie

happiness is a long barrel!!!

only a 5 1/2 " wow i call my 7 1/2 " barreled guns my Snubbies !!!!!! Yeee Haaaa Thats right... i use a couple of lonnnnngggggg barreled guns for Cas.... holsters down past my knees !!!!! takes a month of sundays to draw them and they dont have the balance of a "shortie" but i sure have fun with them !!!
made a serious decision a few years ago not to be serious when it came to CAS..... few of our guys here have that win at all costs attitude,,,,,, fine if thats the way they want it....... but ive found that by playing up to the scenarios set rather than race through them i have a heap more fun......
good shooting.... Chris Bowie Kenton Valley Cowboys
South Australia
Old December 16, 2000, 12:59 PM   #13
fal308
Staff Alumnus

You rock Chris!! I feel the same way about CAS. I use a pair of your "shorties", 7 1/2" Vaqueros myself. Other shooters occassionally say I should get the shorter barrels but I could care less where I place as I'm in it for fun.
Sunday (tomorrow as of now) we're supposed to have a match but I'm thinking I'll pass as the temp is supposed to go up to 15 degrees F. I'm not sure I'm in for that much fun.
Old December 16, 2000, 06:18 PM   #14
po boy

any of you guys know about colt 1860,s 44 cal I picked one up unfired. beautiful blueing, case coloring etc. only question is the muzzle is not crowned and is flat across and in the white(not blued) is that normal for colt signature series 1860,s??????????????