The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2000, 02:45 PM   #1
Dubletap45

I was at the range yesterday playing with a couple of friends after an IPSC match. We were shooting clay targets we placed at 50 yds. I noticed that my .44special loads were really dirty compared to my friends factory .38 Special PMC. My S&W629 was covered in black residue while his was relatively clean. I loaded a 205 cast bullet on top of HS-6 (can't remember the charge off the top of my head, but it was most likely the max out of the lee manual). The PMC was jacketed so some of the residue was probably lead but all of it? Does anyone use a different powder in a large bore pistol, with commercial cast bullets with cleaner results? Any advice is appreciated.

DT45
Old December 4, 2000, 03:02 PM   #2
jtduncan

For that larger case, TiteGroup was developed. Clean and accurate!
Old December 4, 2000, 05:41 PM   #3
Poodleshooter

Crimping tighter with the medium speed pistol powders designed for moderate loads (Unique and the HS powders) can help to some degree, but in the end if you want clean powder, you have to pay the money for the newer powders.
Old December 4, 2000, 09:36 PM   #4
Archie

I use W231 for about all my pistol rounds. It meters well and burns cleanly. About the only thing it doesn't do well is the heaviest 357 and 44 Magnum loads and such. Propably 10mm top end stuff would require a slower powder also.
For most any "regular" loads, W231 does very well.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old December 6, 2000, 09:20 AM   #5
Quantrill

Clean burning pistol powder

I have always been pleased with 700X for an accurate and clean powder for target pistol loads. Quantrill
Old December 6, 2000, 01:07 PM   #6
Paul B.

Black redidue???????????????????

Dubletap45. I'm willing to bet that the black residue came from the lubricant on the cast bullets you were shooting, and not the powder. That is one of the drawbacks of shooting cast lead in handguns. I run into the same thing with my 624 .44 Spl. and my .44 Mags. I never shoot jacketed bullets in them, so I have lots of cleaning to do at the end of a session.
Paul B.
Old December 6, 2000, 07:06 PM   #7
Swamp Yankee

I agree with Paul B. The sizing lubricant really cruds up a gun quickly, especially stainless steel. Be sure to clean your gun after each range session. Pay close attention to ejector rod and cylinder bore. The fit there is tight and I've had problems with burned lubricant getting in there and gumming up an otherwise smooth action.
As for clean burning powders my experience is Bullseye, W231, and PowerPistol are all very clean burning.
Check the Blue Press from a couple of months ago, I believe they had an article on this subject.
Old December 6, 2000, 07:57 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

For a Unique (pun) alternative highly recommend clean-burning Hodgdon Universal Clays. Cleaner than HS6. Slower than W231.
Excellent in 44 Special (and every medium revolver load).

Clean and easy-metering.