The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2012, 09:49 PM   #1
603Country

223 Neck Sizing Die

I'm going to buy a neck sizing die for my 223, and I could use some advice on which one to get. People have said on this forum that the Lee collet dies are excellent and relatively cheap. Is that a better choice than the more expensive versions just because it's less money for the same quality of performance? Somebody educate me. Thanks.
Old February 6, 2012, 09:53 PM   #2
4runnerman

I just got the Redding version a few days ago.I have only loaded 10 rounds at the moment to test. Have not got a chance to shoot them yet to see the difference in accuracy.( if there is any at all). All my other Dies are Lee and i could not be happier. They are very good,low cost dies.
Old February 6, 2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Tim R

I use a Horaday bushing die. I believe Redding has one too. The nice part of the bushing die is you can adjust neck tension and how much the neck grips the bullet by a simple bushing change. A chart is supplied with the instructions and how to figure out what bushing to get.
Old February 6, 2012, 10:05 PM   #4
jepp2

The Lee die will produce sized brass with less neck runout than any other neck sizing die. And it is the easiest to use since no lube is required. It does take a bit of learning to use it properly. Reading the directions and following them is a good start.
Old February 6, 2012, 10:09 PM   #5
625cnd

Neck Sizing is only for bolt action guns. Neck sizing can be done with a FL sizer die, just back off the die about the width of a nickel. This will just size the neck and not bump the shoulder. Just a thought

I would suggest that consider a Forster Neck Die. As their expander ball is mounted higher then other brands. But, a Redding neck die with a carbide expander ball added would lessen the work hardening of the brass.

The use of a Type S Redding die requires a bushing, and the you have a reading of your brass of choice neck wall thickness. Then one would just want to use the bushing to control your neck tension,

Eventually you wiill need to bump the shoulder....usually after 5 or so firings.
A Redding Body die will leave the neck alone, but bump the shouler back to allow for reliable chambering of your brass.
Old February 6, 2012, 10:11 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

I use the Lee collet die, and the dead length seating die for .223 Rem. Shooting my reloads out of a Savage Model 12 with heavy target barrell will give me half MOA on a crappy day.