The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 13, 2010, 10:28 PM   #1
m&p45acp10+1

Taking kids to the range for the first time

I thought this might help some people taking kids to the range. If you can think of something I do not list feel free to post it.
I will be going to the range with some family friends tomorrow. They will be bringing 2 kids. Ages 12, and 9. The boy is 12, the girl is 9. I have been shooting with both since shortly after they came out of diapers. They are well behaved, they know the 4 major rules by heart. They also are more mature than a few of the bozos that show up there sometimes. The thing is this is thier first trip to this range. Also my girlfried may be bringing her 2 nieces. They are 14 year old twins. Thier experience with guns is limited at best. They are versed on the safty issue. (If they were not, my girlfriend would not be bringing them.)
My thing other than the safty issues which have already been covered, are making the day fun for them. So here is what I have done to make it enjoyable for all.
1 I am not going for me. I probably will not shoot. This is going to be thier time. Most of my time is going to be supervising, and loading mags.
2 I am planing on it being only for a couple of hours. The gate opens at 10 am. By 1 pm it will be close to if not over 100 degrees. I am figuring that most everyone will be ready to call it a day by noon.
3 I have already made a deal with the staff to have a cart for running the girls to the bathroom. (good thing is the place has a nice clean bathroom.) Girls hate smelly chem cans.
4 I am taking an icechest with some drinks and snacks. Kids get thirsty, and a few snacks do not hurt to have. As well as some sunblock.
5 I have enough hearing protection, and safty glasses for all, and a couple of spares. As well as a ton of ammo. Plenty of targets, also a box of clay's and some holders for them. They can see the hit. Every kid I have seen shoot them had fun.
6 I have another friend that is coming to help out, he is an instructor, and an LEO. The guy loves to work with kids as much as I do so I am greatful for his help.
7 When it is time to pack up and go, we are all going for icecream. After it starts to get hot icecream sure is good.
If you folks can think of more I am open to suggestions. Thaks
Nate
PS Mods if this is not the right forum feel free to move it.
Old August 13, 2010, 10:38 PM   #2
rtpzwms

if the range does not have it take some shade and folding chairs
Old August 13, 2010, 10:38 PM   #3
jimbob86

Kids like instant feedback. Reactive targets are key. Check to make sure what is allowed on your range, of course, but clay pidgeons, overripe cucumbers, wormy apples are all great with .22's ...... water jugs are a "hit" with centerfires! Spinning metal target or "dueling posts" are fun, too. Bowling pins, empty shotgun shells..... if you are made of money, full sodas....

I have seen guys hot glue aspirins on black sheet of construction paper for kids to shoot with bb/pellet guns.... the thing is the kids need that instant feedback.
Old August 13, 2010, 10:41 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I am fortuanate in that they have a shaded loading area, and plenty of chairs.
Old August 13, 2010, 11:15 PM   #5
Edward429451

I always take 2 LB coffe cans because they are big and easy for kids to hit. Toss it out close and let them work it downrange.
Old August 13, 2010, 11:20 PM   #6
10-96

You might haul out some of those hand/diaper wipes to wipe their hands down before hitting the snacks (carbon, lead, and all those other warnings on ammo boxes). It also feels kinda cool to wipe your forehead down when the heat picks up.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 13, 2010, 11:24 PM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
hand/diaper wipes to wipe their hands down before hitting the snacks
+1
Old August 13, 2010, 11:36 PM   #8
Crosshair

Bring your suppressors to shoot with so they aren't intimidated by the loud muzzle blast. Not needing plugs makes it much easier to hear range commands. Talking in a normal voice helps calm new shooters whereas you need to raise your voice to make sure you are heard when they are wearing muffs.

/What do you mean you don't own any suppressors?
Old August 14, 2010, 01:01 AM   #9
medalguy

A spotting scope for whoever is not on the line might be a good idea too.
Old August 14, 2010, 06:13 AM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

Good suggestions.
Hand wipes I have.
Reactice targets I have some clays, I also have a few jugs of water. I have some Vmax loaded up for my .221 fireball. It has a lot of zoom on the scope so I know they will be able to see quite well with it. There is no recoil to this rife so I know they will enjoy it.
I do not have any supressors as of yet. Also there will probably be more than a few people that show up to shoot. So hearing protection is a must for everone. I do have some cb caps for my single action .22 lr. I will start the twins with it, and let them move up to the bulk federal stuff, then it is up to them if they want to try something larger.
Looks like it will be a fun day today. Now back to the loading bench. I have to load up some more .41 mags with Trail Boss so my girlfriend has plenty of them to shoot. She seems to claim that one as hers as long as there is ammo for some reason.
Old August 14, 2010, 08:45 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

It sounds like you've got it pretty well covered, between your first post and the stuff added by the others here. Here's hoping that a grand time is had by all!
Old August 14, 2010, 12:13 PM   #12
Major Beef

Yeah, sounds like a good plan. It's a little bit of a bummer not shooting with everyone else though. Safety is key! Make sure those kids are as safety conscious as you think they are! Safety!!
Old August 14, 2010, 02:20 PM   #13
m&p45acp10+1

The kids had a great time

All safty rules were followed, the kids had a great time. I did get to shoot a bit. I was not worried about me shooting. I shoot all the time. It was worth it to see the kids have a great time. By 12:30 everyone was ready to go for icecream. It was decent weather when we got there (95 degrees) Miserably hot when we left (101 and getting hotter). We left to get pizza, and icecream. The kids shot safely, shot well, and had a whole lot of fun. The day was a success.
Old August 14, 2010, 02:27 PM   #14
TheGoldenState

^^ awesome ^^
Old August 14, 2010, 02:36 PM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Fantastic!

I can easily imagine their Xmas lists already:

Dear Santa,
Please bring me a bolt-action rifle, 300 rounds of ammunition, some shooting glasses and some of those earmuff-thingys. I promise to be good and not to shoot at your reindeer . . . often.

Cordially,
Spats

Old August 19, 2010, 12:27 AM   #16
Sgt.Saputo

Spats,

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337
Old August 21, 2010, 03:35 PM   #17
kiwi56

Pandering to the big kid in all of us

We used to encourage kids up to the range for a shoot, The district school where our beach place is would send kids and their parents over there along with kids from the local scout and girl guide groups.
Kids love things that go bang when they get hit. I was looking for a project one sunday at home when I noticed I had a drill bit the same diameter as a 12 gauge shot gun cartridge. I drilled some holes in a piece of old wooden fence post and while the holes would allow the body of the cartridge to pass through it wouldn't allow the rim to enter the hole. The idea was to put the kids back at 50 yards and allow them to hit the primers of the shotgun shells with the .22 and 17hm2. this turned out to be the most popular event for them.
Old August 27, 2010, 10:06 AM   #18
Sgt.Saputo

Quote:
The idea was to put the kids back at 50 yards and allow them to hit the primers of the shotgun shells with the .22 and 17hm2.
Say that's pretty great idea!

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337
Old August 27, 2010, 04:50 PM   #19
Spats McGee
Staff

Yeah, it is. Maybe there's a use for that 12 ga. confetti ammo after all.