The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 21, 2005, 04:44 PM   #26
kwkoch

10mm

what exactly do you plan to hunt with a 10mm and where is it legal to hunt with an auto pistol?

question's for rob.
Old November 22, 2005, 10:59 AM   #27
Long Path

Good heavens! This is one of the earliest threads in TFL's history!

Rob has indeed harvested hog with a 10mm, as did his wife of the time. The crazy idjit also jumped astride one and did it in with a knife. This was in Arkansas, ca. 2000.
Old November 22, 2005, 11:48 AM   #28
SCcdp

I hog and deer hunt here in SC with a 5.5" Ruger Redhawk chambered in .41 Magnum, a 210 grain out of that gun is good medicine for those guys. Hogs are rountinely killed in this state with knives - we have such a hog problem in some parts of the state (one nuclear facility in particular) that a bounty is offered on each hog but there is one catch no guns allowed. The biggest one I've seen killed like that went about 300 lbs - he was tossing dogs everywhere until the catch dogs got on him.
Old November 22, 2005, 12:06 PM   #29
Ohio Annie

I'm all ready for deer gun season next week with my 6" .357. I will get a doe (a deer, a female deer) from about 25 yards. Just a small one I can handle by myself.

Ammo = Remington Peters yellow box 125 gr. semi-jacketed.

Shoots offhand in a 3" circle at 50 yards.
Old November 22, 2005, 12:08 PM   #30
12-34hom

I do some of my varmint hunting with a Savage Striker chambered in 22-250.

Mounted a Burris 2 + 7 pistol scope - had my smith work the trigger - shoots @ MOA with selected handloads of mine using Sierra 53 grain match HP over some H414.

Great fox - coyote - crow gun.

12-34hom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0138.JPG (49.4 KB, 24 views)
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old November 24, 2005, 09:30 AM   #31
tex45acp

My handgun hunting experiences started about 20 years ago whe I was out squirrel hunting and the action in the semi-auto rifle I was using, broke into pieces. I have always carried a handgun when hunting but never used one for that purpose and I did that day. I dispatched 6 squirrels with my .22 cal. Smith & Wesson revolver and was hooked. The next year I bought a Model 10 Smith in .38 special to start hunting small game with, then the following year started using larger calibers for whitetail. I've hunted with a Colt Python in 357mag, a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 45 long colt, a Smith Model 629 in 44 mag and finally settled on the gun and caliber that are my favorite and I have stayed with for the last 15 years. A Stainless Ruger Redhawk in .41mag, 7 1/2" barrel that came from the factory ready to mount a scope.....so my wife and sons bought me a silver Leupold 2x handgun scope. I mounted it and never looked back. I have taken multiple whitetails, hogs and even a book Fallow with this gun. I handload and have some loads that can literally shoot through an engine block and some that barely push the bullet out of the barrel. I found out many years ago that no one makes snake shot for a .41mag so I make my own. I take a case, load bullseye powder and shove a gascheck on top of the powder just as if it were on the bottom of a cast bullet. I load the rest with #9 shot and place another gascheck upside down inside the top of the case making it flush and giving it an ever so slight crimp. This combp makes a lemon into lemon mush at 8-10 feet. I have used it on a rather large water moccasin here in Texas once and there was no head lefr on the snake at about 10 feet away. Handgun hunting is really great and extremely challenging and I really love it.

Hey Sccdp,
If you ever get a wild hair to sell the 5 1/2" .41mag Redhawk, please let me know. I have been looking for one in that barrel length for 10 years and they are all owned by someone other than me. I currently have a Stainless Taurus in that caliber with a 2 1/2" barrel.......good gun but it just is not the same. If you do get ready to sell email me at [email protected].

Ohio Anne,
May I make a suggestion.....get the largest bullet for the .357 you can shoot accurately. Whitetails are animals that have almost a superanimal will to live past the shot. I have seen them run with a perfectly placed heart/lung shot for several hundred yards and more. If the bullet is a little bigger the impact on the animal is greater and causes more trauma from the beginning. I started out with 110gr. and worked my way up to the 180gr. loads made by Federal. Most of my hunts with the Federal load have brought the animal down in much shorter distances and that is even if they run at all. JMHO.
Old November 30, 2005, 12:04 PM   #32
SCcdp

Tex45acp -

I'll keep you in mind if I ever do decide to get rid of it, but that will have to be a really wild hair. I found this gun at a gunshop that I gunsmithed for during college and it is probably my favorite gun that I own. I have been looking everywhere for a 5.5in 357 but those don't seem to be easy to come by either.

Matt