The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2015, 12:48 PM   #1
Brutus

Powder and load for 10mm

My interest here was to develop a self defense load for the woods.
See many factory offerings in the 1200 to 1300 fps. range and would like to find a powder that can safely generate those kinds of velocities.

So far mine have been in a Kimber target II:
180gr JHP over 11.0gr. AA#7 for just under 1200 fps.

180gr Hornady XTP JHP. 13.8gr. AA#9 FOR 1250fps.
10 shot 1 hole bench rested group at 30ft. Sure is a tack driver.

Note: This load is not a maximum in the Hornaday #5 manual but I now have other reference material indicating it is over max. So I've reduced this load to 13.5gr. AA#9 for 1200fps.

Probably going to continue carrying my Colt .45 in the woods but I'd like the option anyway as a 1911's a little more comfortable to carry all day.
Old June 13, 2015, 01:23 PM   #2
gwpercle

Just checked the Hornady Manual #9, start 11.5 ...max.14.9.

Accurate powder data shows a max of 13.5 . That's 1.4 grains difference.

I agree 13.5 sounds good, always best to err on the side of caution, but 10 shots into one ragged hole at 30 feet sounds like a most accurate load.
Call Kimber and see what they say about the 13.8 load, it is listed in the Hornady Manual . Hornady did test the 10 mm in a Colt Delta Elite, don't know if the Kimber is as stout as the Delta Elite.
Once you hit on a good accurate load it's hard not to want to use it.
Load safe,
Gary
Old June 13, 2015, 01:44 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

With a 180 JHP and AA#7, I've ran it up to 12.0gns (the Speer #14 & Hornady 9th max) with no trouble at all. I would guess they could be taken further, but I chose not to try it.

They produced 1222 f/s through a 3.7" bbl Glock 29; and 1268 f/s through a 4.6" Glock 20. You're 5" Kimber should do slightly better.

I would think that's a plenty potent round. My normal loading is 11.7gns - just to have some safety margin built in from the 12.0gn max I tested.

Some (many) will recommend using AA#9. That's all well and good, but I think it's a little slow for the application. It'll make good velocities, for sure. But it may come at the expense of excessive flash and recoil. Personal preference, I suppose.
Old June 13, 2015, 04:25 PM   #4
Brutus

Well Nick I think I'll creep up on that 11.7gr. AA#7 load and I'll double check for clean primer pockets even though it don't matter none.
Old June 13, 2015, 05:06 PM   #5
cwall64

I tend to go with the powder manufacturer as in the case of the Western Powder manual AA #9 list 13.5 grains as a max for the Hornady 180 grain HAP, and Hornady lists it as 14.9 grains. Hornady was released in 2012 and the powder might have gone through some small changes since the printing. And with the Western manual listing 34,100 PSI, we're getting pretty close on the 10mm max PSI. I do not know what one grain more would get the pressure to, but I do not want to take that risk! Hornady #9 seems to have a similar discrepancy with 800X (10.1 versus 8.7), but for some reason they stay way low on the Longshot compared to the Hodgdon website (8.2 versus 9.5)???
Old June 13, 2015, 05:19 PM   #6
stagpanther

My guess is that the discrepancy (s) are due to the lack of manufactured standards for the 10, in other words the reduced loads might be taking into account that for the longest time pistols chambered for the 10 were really developed around the "watered down" version--the recent surge in popularity for the 10 I believe is driven by shooters who are also interested in hunting with full-power loads. Just a guess though. Finally got to order a big keg of #9--I hated reloading with 800x though for the longest time that was all I could find.
Old June 13, 2015, 07:48 PM   #7
greentick

Longshot is another 10mm option, at work so I don't have data in front of me.
Old June 14, 2015, 04:41 PM   #8
Fox84

I just loaded 6.9 grs of titegroup with a hornady 155 xtp. I hope this works. Longshot doesn't seem to work with a 155gr pill.
Old June 14, 2015, 05:15 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I'll double check for clean primer pockets even though it don't matter none.
At least I know my posts are being read.
Old June 15, 2015, 02:03 PM   #10
CowTowner

I run 8.2 grains of Power Pistol under a 180 gr TCFM from Zero.
Never used a chono, but the recoil tells me I'm about there for range use.
Gun is a commander length 1911 from Fusion.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy