The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Rogervzv

New (to me) Mark I Target comes home!

I picked this gun up at a consignment sale (estate sale) a month ago. After the interminable California wait, I finally got it home. The gun was absolutely filthy; I am not sure that the previous owner ever did more to it than clean out the bore. I thoroughly cleaned it and then went to the range. The gun shot great! I was happy to find that it handles Mark III magazines just fine, which is great because I have over a dozen of them. Out of 170 rounds (Remington Goldens) I had one ejection issue, which I attribute to a bad round. Otherwise the gun shot perfectly.

Here is how she looked when I picked her up:

Here she is with some new grip panels that I had laying around. I think I like this look better!

Old November 23, 2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Pahoo

Interesting !!!

Quote:
I was happy to find that it handles Mark III magazines just fine, which is great because I have over a dozen of them.
That is interested and a question that comes up, often. I can understand the MK-III grip panels fitting the MK-I but have never heard of the MK-III fitting the Mk-I. Sadly, I no longer own an MK-I but, it's good to know. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 23, 2013, 03:38 PM   #3
KMAX

It is beautiful! I had a standard back in the '70s, but sold it due to college life expenses. Have regretted it ever since. A few months ago I found a target model and picked it up. I haven't shot it much but feel that empty spot in my life has been filled once again. I think everyone should own a Mark I, II, or III at least for a little while.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old November 23, 2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Rogervzv

Turns out that the Standard and the earlier model Mark 1s had a certain grip arrangement that is incompatible with Mark II and Mark III grips and magazines. Later in the Mark 1 series Ruger updated the grip such that it is compatible with these. By luck my Mark 1 target has the later-version grip which is why it will accomodate these beautiful Mark 1 grip panels as well as the Mark II and Mark III magazines.
Old November 24, 2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Quentin2

Nice find, you're gonna love it!

I have a 1975 Mark I which also accepts newer grips like yours. I think the Mark I was changed to the new design somewhere around 1973. Magazines weren't so much of a factor since you could reverse the follower pin to the old style without much trouble.