The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 13, 2012, 09:51 PM   #1
MLeake

Coming around full circle (Back to CZ)

When I first started carrying, my normal carry guns were either a SIG C3 1911, a SIG P220, or a CZ75B.

I had FTRB issues with the C3, so it fell from grace. The P220 was a bit bulky for an 8+1 gun. The CZ lasted quite a while.

Then I started playing around with polymers. Glock 30 and 21; S&W M&P45 and 45c; more recently, Walther PPQ and PPS. Light weight, high capacity, seemed like a pretty good deal.

But I've noticed in IDPA that the polymers are a bit more muzzle-flippy. This hadn't been a major issue, until this last week we were doing one stage that involved shooting through a "window" with a cross shaped frame in the middle. I hadn't realized quite how high my PPQ muzzle flipped, until that stage - had a couple FTRB, and realized my front sight was hitting the cross-frame during the muzzle rise, and affecting cycling.

Lessons learned:

1) Move back farther from the door, so that can't possibly happen;
2) Muzzle flip can affect more than just follow-up times.

So I broke down and ordered a new CZ75, to replace the one that I used to have - my best friend shot it one day, and loved it so much that I gave it to him...

Should receive my SP-01 Tactical in a day or two, and plan to run it at IDPA later this month. I will be curious to see how it compares.

Last edited by MLeake; August 15, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old August 14, 2012, 03:03 AM   #2
Venom1956

NICE!

Its hard to beat a CZ for an all steel 9mm. Hi-Power maybe?

It seems like they become more and more popular every year... I remember when they were super cheap and unknown compared to most brands.

Sigh now I must go shoot my CZ. Who am I kidding... Its gonna be awesome.

So you decided on the decocker model? I much prefer the SAO/safety but thats mainly for trigger reach.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 14, 2012, 03:16 AM   #3
MLeake

I have L/XL hands, long rather than ham-fist large. Trigger reach is not an issue. I find the BHP reach a bit short... May sell my BHP, later, but it's a Novak job and the price would be prohibitive to many.
Old August 14, 2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Sparks1957

Welcome back to the CZ fold. I love my 75B and P-01, beautiful pistols.
Old August 15, 2012, 01:17 PM   #5
MLeake

Well, the dealer transposed a couple numbers on my card, so the SP-01 Tactical got held up a couple days, but we have identified and remedied the issue. It should arrive by the 17th.

Meanwhile, looking at the mass of the SP01, I decided it might be a good idea to get something a bit less challenging for carry. Decided to try out a P-01, and after doing quite a bit of google and forum searching, decided to query czcustom (Angus Hobdell's shop) and automatic accuracy (Matt Mink's shop) to see what their inventory and turnaround times looked like.

Matt Mink emailed me today, and I called him back. Very nice, helpful guy on the phone. He is trying to finish his last batch of custom work before the competition season resumes. He gave me the lowest quote I've found on a new P-01 (which he had in stock), and a turn around estimate of "ship no later than next Tuesday."

He's setting mine up like his own personal carry P-01:
7.5# DA / 3.5# DA
Meprolight night sights
15# mainspring

I expect it to arrive no later than next Thursday. (Too bad, in a way, as we have IDPA next Tuesday night, and I'd love to try it out there; I will, if it arrives earlier, and Matt thought it might ship as early as Saturday.)

Meanwhile, ordered some hex head grip screws and spare magazines from CZCustom, and found some nice VZ Tactical Diamond Black Desert Sand grips on amazon.com (both full-size for the SP-01, and compact for the P-01).

To top things off, I found a Kadet conversion kit at CheaperThanDirt, so that is also inbound.

Figure I'll mostly use it with the SP-01 frame, to break in the un-smithed trigger with lots of .22LR practice.

(But I may send the SP-01 to Matt or CZCustom later in the year, to get it tuned, TBD.)

Now, to sort out holsters, and to list some other guns on GunBroker...

Last edited by MLeake; August 15, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old August 15, 2012, 01:22 PM   #6
aarondhgraham

Holster for the CZ-75B,,,

Congrats on your new CZ,,,
It's quality that's hard to beat.

If you just need a range holster until you find a super spiffy one,,,
This might be something you would like.

Click here please,,,

They sell a left handed version as well.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 15, 2012, 02:26 PM   #7
MLeake

Thanks, aarond.

I was looking for more of a CCW holster, but those looked kinda cool so I ordered one anyway.

Cheers,

M
Old August 19, 2012, 09:08 PM   #8
dondavis3

Congrats on your CZ.

I own 3 of them and really like them.

Here's my CZ 85 Combat

She's a real shooter