Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 18, 2009, 06:52 AM   #1
doncameron

Question on a Spanish pistol

looks like a S&W the only markings are as follows
32/20 US Service CTGS on the side of the barrell,
Garataenitua & Cia (ESPANA) on top of the barrell,
SN # 477XX on the bottom of grip frame,
924 inside the cylinder latch hinge and under the ejector.

It belongs to a co-worker and he is interested in when it was built and is ammo available for the pistol.
Old March 18, 2009, 07:30 AM   #2
SDC

This revolver was a product of "Garate, Anitua, y Cia" (Garate, Anitua and Company) of Eibar, Spain, and is chambered for the 32-20 Winchester cartridge, but I'd advise against shooting it. This company was the result of a merger of "Garate Hermanos" (Garate Brothers) and "Charola y Anitua" (Charola and Anitua) after the First World War, but the company was forced out of business by the Spanish Civil War (1936), so it's at least 70 years old now, and it was likely of questionable quality to begin with.
Old March 18, 2009, 10:40 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I agree with SDC, but will add that that company's revolvers were among the better Spanish revolvers of the era. At least they put their name on it, which most makers didn't do, and used reasonably good steel instead of the cheap cast iron used by others.

The .32-20 was fairly common as a revolver cartridge at that time, and both S&W and Colt chambered revolvers for it, but the Spanish makers got into it in a sort of backward way. They made revolvers for the French during WWI in 8mm Lebel. After the war, they wanted to get into the U.S. market and it took only minor changes to make the guns in .32-20.

But I do suggest the gun be treated as a wall-hanger and not fired.

Jim
Old March 20, 2009, 08:37 AM   #4
TEDDY

spanish

the S&W clones were common in the south as they cost about $12.IF IF you really want to shoot it, reload and use lead bullets and LIGHT loads.I saw many and they blew the top strap.there were RIFLE loads made,which causeded even S&W to blow. I had one that blew the top strap and chamber out on a M&P smith.before I got it.
Old March 20, 2009, 08:14 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those rifle loads weren't that hot. I suspect a bum reload took the S&W apart.

I just noticed that the OP said the barrel marking read "32/20 US Service CTGS". Needless to say, the .32-20 was never a U.S. service cartridge. The Spanish apparently copied part of the marking from an S&W marked for ".38 Special and U.S. Service Ctg."

Jim