The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2007, 05:32 PM   #1
ahescock

.223 Failure to Extract

I just started reloading for my RRA CAR-A4 and cannot get my rounds to consistently extract from the chamber. Some get stuck so badly that I have to use all my strength to yank them out using the charging handle.

Case length is always under 1.76" and OAL is always under 2.24". Both .223 Rem and NATO brass is getting stuck.

I am using RCBS dies, and have adjusted them in my Lee turret press to no avail. I read in another thread that RCBS dies can cause extraction problems, and that one solution is to use small base dies. Is this necessary, or should I just buy Lee dies and see if they work?

What am I doing wrong?
Old August 2, 2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Scorch

Just get a set of small base dies. Autoloaders need the brass sized more than bolt actions. Use dies from whatever manufacturer you like, just make sure they are small base dies.
Old August 2, 2007, 06:01 PM   #3
steve4102

There could be a few things going on here. Your case length of 1.760 is Max, you should trim them down to 1.750. How far are you bumping the shoulders back? And the #1 question, What is the load you are using? Extraction problems are many times caused by over pressure loads.
Old August 2, 2007, 06:14 PM   #4
firechicken

Are these live rounds that you're having trouble extracting, or do the fired cases not extract? If it's the live rounds, make sure your shellholder is contacting the sizing die while sizing a case. Your RCBS FL die should size your cases enough to chamber in your AR. If it's the fired cases that don't extract, I don't believe I would fire any more - possibly an overload causing the case to stick in the chamber.
Old August 2, 2007, 06:45 PM   #5
ahescock

I have only reloaded .40 S&W, so rifle reloading has been a new challenge. I'm not sure what you mean by:

"How far are you bumping the shoulders back?"

To clear up any confusion, my process involves:

1. Throw mixed range brass in tumbler, sift
2. Deprime, measure, & trim/chamfer if necessary
3. Lube & then resize using RCBS dies
4. Seat primer using RCBS hand priming tool
5. Add powder, seat bullet
6. Check OAL

My loads are at the minimum 19 grains of H4198. This is not the problem, however, because I have not been firing the rounds after I realized they were getting stuck. Now I just make a small batch, load them in a mag, and see which ones get stuck and which ones eject while I manually pull the charging handle.

I am convinced my dies are not sizing properly. Going under 1.76" on case length has not made any difference (ie. those under 1.75" still get stuck with no apparent rhyme or reason).

Any more thoughts?
Old August 2, 2007, 06:48 PM   #6
ahescock

Forgot to add that the shellholder is definitely touching the sizing die as I size. I could not size the brass anymore, believe me I have tried. In fact, I have gotten two cases stuck so far--despite plenty of lube.
Old August 2, 2007, 07:09 PM   #7
steve4102

Brass should be trimmed "After" sizing. The sizing process stretches the brass and can make your case length longer. Stuck cases before firing is definitely a sizing problem or a case length problem or an OAL problem.
Lets back up. What are you using for dies, exactly? What is written on the side of the sizing die you are using?
RCBS dies are excellent dies. If you are using the proper die and set up this should not happen. Purchasing a Lee set is not the answer. If there is a problem with your dies RCBS will make it right in a heart beat at no charge.
It sounds to me as if you are using an RCBS Neck Die?? Just a thought.
Old August 2, 2007, 07:37 PM   #8
ahescock

My sizing dies is:

RCBS 223 S.B.F.L. 78

Appears as though I already have a small base die, so now I am thoroughly confused.
Old August 2, 2007, 08:55 PM   #9
rrp

Are you lowering the ram after contact is made with the shell holder and then turning the die in another quarter turn. This should work for you. You then trim the case to 1.750 after resizing. I've done thousands of 223 and fired them with an ar and never had a problem. Also make sure the chamber of your rifle clean. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old August 2, 2007, 08:57 PM   #10
Trapper L

Quote:
Now I just make a small batch, load them in a mag, and see which ones get stuck and which ones eject while I manually pull the charging handle.
So not all of the rounds will stick- correct? What bullet are you using? Have you checked the ones that will stick for marks on the bullet or brass where it would be sticking? I assume you have no issues with factory/military ammo. I also assume that the action runs free and doen't bind up. Have you tried cycling fired empty brass thru it to see if any of it sticks?
Old August 2, 2007, 09:23 PM   #11
rn22723

You need to start over!

You should start with setting up the die per RCBS instructions.
Clean case
Size case (I would say you need to check in the size round extracts from the the chamber before you even load it.)
Trim, deburr, and chamfer you have to do this each time.
(It is possible to crush the shoulder and this could not help with chambering and you can actually lengthen the case with sizing so it would behove you to lube the inside of the case neck )
I would remove the case lube by polishing the cases
Prime
Powder charge
Seat bullet

I would work up loads per a standard method as outlined in any full size reloading manual.
Old August 2, 2007, 10:14 PM   #12
ahescock

Thanks for all the good ideas.

I have shot 100 factor rounds with no problems, so the rifle should be fine. Also, the action does not bind up at all--unless my case gets stuck of course.

I did install the RCBS die by turning it 1/2 turn after the shell holder met the die.
I have noticed marks on the metal jackets of the bullets (which are Hornady 55 grain full metal jackets).

I will size/trim/debur/chamfer my brass, load them in a mag without a bullet and see if they still stick. Then I will load and hope that you guys solved my problem.
Old August 2, 2007, 10:38 PM   #13
ahescock

After a preliminary test run (3 rounds), it looks like my backwards sizing might have been the problem. Two of my test rounds I resized then trimmed--both extracted easily. The third round I trimmed then resized--it did not extract easily. I plan to do a larger test tomorrow and will let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for all the help, I was getting very frustrated.