The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 6, 2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Will-j

H&R-NEF actions

Could really use some help.
Have the above two actions in .280 REM (NEF) and .308 (H&R Ultra) bought new '99-'02. Can't find any extra barrels since H&R closedown. Have been told that ROSSI barrels will fit. Don't put much stock in some idle talk.
Anyone here have any VALID knowledge if ROSSI brls. WILL fit?

Couldn't find an H&R/NEF-related thread; Hope I'm not off-base here. Any help greatly appreciated.

WILL
THE WINDS OF CHANGE ARE BLOWING FROM OUR OWN CAPITOL.

Last edited by Will-j; June 6, 2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Emend text
Old June 6, 2015, 03:05 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

To the best of my knowledge the Rossi barrels will not fit. The lug looks the same but is not. My advice is to register over on the graybeard site so that you can sign in and view the Handi buy and sell forum, barrels come up there regularly at fair prices, you may have to wait a while for a particular caliber. GW

edit: by the way, there are still certain calibers available at the factory, the trick when you call is to get someone who "knows" what's going on.
Old June 6, 2015, 03:10 PM   #3
Snyper

Even H&R or NEF barrels had to be fitted at the factory.
They aren't just "drop in" replacements
Old June 6, 2015, 03:29 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

H&R hasn't closed down. They do not service any rifle made before 1987, serial number that begins with N, H or C only. Or discontinued and older models. Or other manufacturer's kit.
Like Snyper says, factory fitted only too. You should be able to order a barrel for the Ultra, but you'll have to send it to H&R.
"There is a $25.00 per barrel fitting fee and $19.00 shipping fee for the first two barrels fitted and $10.00 for each additional two barrels."
http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp
Old June 6, 2015, 03:50 PM   #5
Geezerbiker

H&R closed down last month. I got one of the last accessory barrels fit to an action. Right now there are some of the more common Handi Rifles still out there. If any of them are interesting to you, get one while they last...

Tony
Old June 6, 2015, 05:04 PM   #6
mwells72774

Barrels show up on ebay from time to time
Old June 6, 2015, 07:17 PM   #7
Will-j

ROGER, SNYPER; Had three barrels (.444,.223 Bull, and .30-30) fit at the factory a couple years ago to the NEF action and you couldn't fit a piece of Saran Wrap between the barrel/breechface with either of the three when closed. Tried them on the Ultra with same results. Picked up a new/unfired .243 barrel a couple months ago with same results [Saran Wrap] on both actions. Guess I got lucky with that one.

Checked on GB and CF sites (been logged on those for months). Word is; the ROSSI barrels are no-go w/o lotsa work.... I'll keep trying for something on those sites. Actually looking for another .444 barrel to long-throat for some 460-490gr pills conjured-up from MONTANA CAST BULLETS. Don't want to alter the current barrel....It's accurate as it is with the 320gr and under pills. Gonna leave well-enough alone for now. Something will turn up eventually.

H&R CUST. SER. [I suppose] said they will probably start up sometime in the future with more barrels but nothing definite any time soon.

Problem with the whole damn mess is [that] you don't really know for sure if you are speaking with someone from whomever you really need to be speaking with when you call REM-MAR-H&R. They give you a name, but how do you really know for sure that they are in the right department, or feeding you the BS?

Thanks ALL.

WILL.
Old June 7, 2015, 12:11 AM   #8
DPris
Member Emeritus

H&R did not shut down entirely, they're still carrying on with imported shotgun models under the brand.

Breaktops ended in December of last year.
The barrel program is dead.

Some parts are supposed to still be available.
Denis
Old June 7, 2015, 07:28 PM   #9
Will-j

H&R

DP;
Hmm. Perhaps I should call and ask to speak with someone in an authoritative position to answer my concerns RE: the barrels. I was told months ago that there were no more barrels at all. Aside from the .444 barrel, I want another .30-30 HB barrel to re-chamber to.307 Win.. and one in .22-.250 to re-chamber to .22-6MM or 22-.243 so as to keep the same case head and not worry about extractor problems. we'll see. Thanks for the info.

WILL.
Old June 7, 2015, 11:02 PM   #10
DPris
Member Emeritus

The barrels are dead.
I was told by a Rem rep that the H&R side would continue to carry SMALL parts for repairs.

No barrel swaps, no barrel sales.
Denis
Old June 7, 2015, 11:54 PM   #11
Will-j

H&R

Roger that DP. Had taken some pain killers a little while before answering your post. Went back and reread it.. Misunderstood it the first time. Guess I'll just check the forums and hope for the best.

WILL.
Old June 7, 2015, 11:56 PM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

Good luck.
Denis
Old June 8, 2015, 02:19 AM   #13
FrankenMauser

Just to reaffirm some of the above points:

1. Rossi barrels don't fit. They can be MADE to fit, but it isn't a 5 minute job with a file and some emery cloth.

2. H&R's barrel program is dead. Don't bother calling. It's dead.

3. eBay, Gunbroker, and forum classifieds are easy places to find H&R/NEF parts. The Greybeard H&R forum and MarlinOwners H&R forum are good places to check, if you want to see what the going rate is for a barrel (and possibly find the most barrels listed for sale in a single place).

4. If you buy a used barrel, try to get a fore-end with it. H&R won't sell them any more, so you'll have to go after-market, or used, if you end up with a barrel that doesn't like your existing fore-end.
Old June 19, 2015, 07:45 AM   #14
Ibmikey

I am very much unhappy to see the Handi Rifle bite the dust, my latest acquisition was a Handi by AAC in 300 Blackout, what a neat little rifle for hunting at short ranges on game up to, deer sized critters. My Handi has had the short "tactical" stock replaced with a standard length camo stock set and mounting a 1x4 Bushnell AR luminated series scope....great for Texas hog hunting in low lighting conditions. I took a monster hog with one shot from this " handi" little rifle.