The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 25, 2013, 01:41 PM   #26
lcpiper

This one is tough but I actually think both of you might have been right.

It's easy and many times it's correct to say she was wrong and she shouldn't have pushed you to sell it. But that could be hasty and perhaps unfair given the whole situation.

I take it from what I have read that you are a young man and not making a big income these days and you have financial needs that are pressing, like a new car.

I'd say as long as this was in fact a good financial decision and it's for something you actually have a greater need for, then yea, you probably did good listening to her.

Still, it hurts to let them go....... guns that is
Old March 25, 2013, 01:58 PM   #27
Spats McGee
Staff

First of all, congratulations on the baby! May your child be born with the correct "fingers & toes count," and bring you all of the joy that a child should. With that said, it sounds like you made a painful decision, but for all the right reasons. When you become a parent, there are some things that you just have to set aside for the good of the family. Sometimes, like now, that stinks. As others have noted, though, if you had to sell, now is the time to do so, prices being what they are.
Old March 25, 2013, 03:54 PM   #28
rebs

Congrats on the new baby on the way, you will love being a Dad. I know I do. As far as selling your gun, I sold 4 hand guns and 2 rifles back in the mid 70's and have regretted it to this day. That being said, family comes first over material possessions. Your job at wal-mart isn't a real high paying job is it ? You do want and need a better job right ? You do need a car don't you ? You do have a baby on the way right ? The answer to those questions should tell you if you did thew right thing selling your gun.
Down the road you will probably buy another gun and maybe a better one than you had and one you even like better. Take care of your wife and the new baby, there is nothing like having a family.
Old March 25, 2013, 04:08 PM   #29
orangello

A shooting buddy also had to sell his beloved WASR to another shooting buddy who subsequently had to sell the poor WASR to yet a third person. I kept expecting to see it on a milk carton, but I understand it has found a "forever home" now.
Old March 25, 2013, 10:05 PM   #30
Tucker 1371

If my girlfriend ever becomes my fiancée and tells me to sell either my M1A or my 1911 I'll take that ring back and sell it to buy a nice stockpile of ammo for each and tell her to kick rocks. She might not know it but that line was drawn long before we met.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old March 25, 2013, 10:15 PM   #31
Spats McGee
Staff

On that note, I think it's time to close this and let the OP grieve in peace.

Tags
ak47 , sold , wasr