The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 5, 2013, 06:19 PM   #1
red96ta

The horror...

Went to the range today and noticed a couple spent caps on the bench...now I know that they weren't mine since they looked like they were struck by a Remington and not the Colts that I carry. I asked a few guys if they had been shooting BP and one of them said that he had been shooting a '58 Pietta a few days earlier.

So he heads back from his car with the Pietta and lets me check it out....oh the horror....it was an 11 year old gun that he admits to have NEVER cleaned. Nearly every oriface and moving part seemed like they were moments away from completely seizing up....and lets not mention the heavy deposits of rust over the gun.

I asked if he had considered selling it since the thing needed some love and care. guy says, nah, it was a gift and was planning on keeping it, then goes back to his truck and tossed it to the floorboard.
Old January 5, 2013, 06:47 PM   #2
deerslayer303

Wow, Sad.
Old January 5, 2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Beagle333

And so early into the New Year, and we're hit with stories of such extreme horror and depravity! This is sadder than one of those Sarah McLachlan commercials.
Old January 5, 2013, 07:09 PM   #4
deerslayer303

I would give 70 cents a day to the save the PIETTA's foundation!! I'm terrible Seriously though, I about break my neck to get home to clean mine, seems every minute they sit dirty I get more anxious to clean them.
Old January 5, 2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Beagle333

I'm just now gettin' around to cleaning mine. I shot it many times over the last week. But I got a good system now.... I got a tupperware container (I think it was designed for tea or something) and put a RemDry bag in it. The bag is sized for a 24 gun safe, so it's more than sufficient for a little sealed box with one revolver in it. So now I can load whichever BP iron I'm totin' that week, wear it around, and even shoot just one or two cylinders, and pop it back into the dry box at night and between carrying, until I find something worthy of firing the rest of the cylinders, or... it's time (and I have the time) to clean it, and don't have to worry a bit about corrosion. I can see the blue dot on the RemDry bag from the outside. It turns pink when it needs recharging (in the oven).

*** I don't have any kids, so there's no danger from a loaded handgun being out of the safe.
Old January 5, 2013, 08:10 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

In some instances . . . that's called "antiquating" a revolver . . . in others, it's considered "browning" . . . from your description, it certainly had "character".

How were the other guns he was shooting? Did they also look like he was taking "good care" of them as well?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 5, 2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Hawg

Did it look worse than this one?

Old January 6, 2013, 01:26 AM   #8
North East Redneck

Personally, I clean all my guns ASAP after firing them. BP or not. I take care of them.
Went hunting about 6-7 years ago with a good friend. I had my .50 inline and he had his Father in Laws .50 sidelock. Didn't see any deer, but had a nice day out. End of the day came around, we fired our guns at a dead tree. Hit the bar, had a couple beers. I went home and cleaned the inline. My buddy, he went home and put the rifle away. Spring of 2010, he brought what was left of the barrel over to my house and asked me how to remove the rust.........

Some people don't deserve the honor of owning BP guns.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Roaddog

never let the sun set on a dirty gun.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:44 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

I keep tellin you guys.....

....This is a practical manifestation of the reason why I never shoot with other folks.

Red had an excellent opportunity to serve as a roll model for an errant shooter but the effort didn't work. (The owner threw the revolver back onto the floor of his truck.)

I know that my opinion on the issue is not shared by many in the group and I also know that there are very good reasons for shooting socially. In fact I do suffer from not shooting with others because I learn things much more slowly.

I think I really would have been troubled by the situation.

Don't get me started, Red.

. . . . Okay, I'am alright now.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:08 PM   #11
North East Redneck

I too would rather shoot alone. I learn from my mistakes. I adjust and fix whatever problem there is. However, shooting with my old man and teaching the step daughter are in fact fun. I just figure I give that time more for interaction and the teaching process than for actual shooting and learning. Unless its rifles with the old man, that's when I get taught.....
Old January 7, 2013, 09:40 PM   #12
bushmaster65

recently I had my Walker worked on (cylinder gap to tight). By then I had had it to the range three times and ran a full box of hornaday .454's through it and my dragoon. The smith asked me on the phone after his inspection, "have you fired this thing? I thought you said you fired it."
When I clean it I remove the nipples and start there.
A clean gun is a happy gun